one hip bone on bone, other on the blink. can't get op

My left hip is beyond bone on bone. Wear has reached the nerves. First xray 2019, first saw consultant 12 months later in 2020, only realised later that he was looking at the old xray of 12 months old.

Saw another consultant a few months later in 2021. New xray etc. Hip replacement scheduled for 2021 but cancelled a couple of times one reason was that i hadn't had a follow up heart scan. I think the initial heart scan was done 2018 or 2019. Had various heart scans with everything seeming good.

But after finally getting into the op theatre in late 2022 it was called off quite quickly as heart showed signs of stress. Various heart scans later I have a couple of heart issues, but the cardio says they should be able to do the hip replacement. The anaesthetist says he doesn't recommend it and gives dire warnings of possible outcomes. The surgeon doesn't want to do it at all.

The heart consultant had a further echocardiogram done, and said he won't do anything until the heart blockages get worse. He has scheduled another echocardiogram for late 2023.

My other hip has now developed OA. Walking is slow and difficult with a rollator. There is no question of me swimming or riding a bike. My daughter comes to hoover, change sheets, some cleaning, sort a bowl for my feet to soak as i can't reach them, and other things. It's difficult for me to get in and out of cars and some I can't get in at all. I can't do any gardening. I am housebound.

How much worse can the arthritis get? The left leg is already about two inches shorter than the other. Where does it progress to after reaching the nerves?

Comments

•  

Hi @Jennifer55 i

Thank you for posting on the online community

I’m so sorry to hear that you have been through such a challenging time with your heart issues which for now seems to be stopping surgery. Glad to hear that you have another echocardiogram booked for later this year and will give you further information abut going forward.   

You now have OA in your other hip and I can hear that this has now led to you being housebound. I wonder if it might be helpful for you to have an occupation therapy needs assessment in your home. This can help with aids and gadgets as well as other helpful information. You can either arrange this through your GP or contact Adult Social Care yourself through your local council. They can also advise on the right way to do things like getting in and out of the car etc.

I understand that movement will be difficult for you, but even gentle chair based exercises and gentle strengthening and stretching exercises can be helpful with movement and stiffness, so it may be helpful to speak to your GP about a referral to see a physiotherapist. 

Everyone is different as is their progression with their arthritis, so I am unable to answer that question further. Please do talk to your medical health professional about your concerns and help with any pain management you may require . For more responses you might like to post on our living with arthritis forum  

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Advisor

• Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39

Hi Jenifer 55, I can only begin to feel your difficulties and I'm sorry you are having such a roll-o-coaster of a time.

My brother-in-law had heart problems and could not have a general but had his hip replacement done under epidural block.

The anaesthetist is the most important person in the operating theatre, my sister-in-law tells me, so not to be dismissed lightly.

It sounds as if your daughter is doing you proud. Its very hard losing your independance, ask for all the help you can, save your daughter for quality time together if you can. Take care, Nfk gal