Is this Physio Real or Not

Hi Everyone,

1st day post op, and have just seen the physio.

She thinks I can lift my bad leg with a sling, whilst using my other arm and hand only, for moving the whole of my body. Am I being a whimp, or is that just about impossible 🤔. I just couldn't move.

I have found a way of moving myself, but it involves me shuffling my torso (including my legs) to the bed edge whilst I am lying down. Then lifting my torso and shuffling my legs round so I am then sat up at the side of the bed.

I got there, and did some exercises on the bed, so feeling quite pleased with myself, even though I feel totally exhausted. Don't get a chance for a snooze though. It's like Picadilly Circus with people in and out of your room!!

Any ideas welcome,

Sheelee xx

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 488

Hi @Sheelee

I hope you do manage to get some quality rest to aid your recovery. I wouldn't have any chance if doing that with a sling even before surgery but I also know that it will come the more you try.

I've been on the receiving end f some every hard physios who have taken great pleasure in telling me there is no such word as can't and I will....I won't tell you my response to them but I did manage what they were telling me to do. So please don't beat yourself up, they know it's going to be hard...it's meant to be.

Love and hugs to you, you are stronger than you think!

Trish xxxx

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

Being unable to move is poo, but it does tend to attract rather large numbers of those really nice doctor and nurses people.

I get by with whatever works. I swing myself diagonally over the edge of the bed and let my legs be enough weight to sit me up. With a bit of arm assistance. Then I have to stand up and my knees are just about up to it.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 17. Mar 2023, 00:05

Hi Shelee, I agree with the others re getting out of bed. Whatever works for you and doesn’t damage the hip is good enough. Because I had problems with the tendon you lift your leg with, I developed a canny trick a bit like Baloo, I shuffled to the edge of the bed, hooked the ankle of my good leg under the ankle of the duff one and swung both legs out together, with the good leg taking the weight. Then I let my legs drop and used that as leverage to get my body upright.

Your posts are really bringing back to me how tough those early days post op can be, specially at night. What you describe sounds very familiar, it’s tough, but it sounds par for the course, and it does get better. Hang on in there, you’re doing great

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I think @Sheelee that the sling might help in time, but it is awfully soon.

When my daughter had cancer some of the kids had had bone cancer in their legs. They used to use their dressing gown cords to hoick their legs onto the bed.

You are doing FABULOUSLY!!!!!!

Well done.

Toni x

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Hi Everyone,

That's the conclusion I came to

If it works for you that's all that matters. More than anything, I just hope that pain in your groin and thigh goes soon, as you pick your bad leg up. OUCHHHHH!!

Sheelee xx

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

My bad leg picks itself up. It kind of slips off the side of the foot wedge while I'm asleep, down the side of the bed, picks itself up again, and the knee doubles up in pain. Its weird. Feels like a cramp. Done it twice so far.

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Hi Baloo,

Ouch. That sounds painful.

I've taken to getting on and off the bed by going to the bottom of the bed, and shuffling with my arms on my backside. It hurt my groin to have to lift up my bad leg and move it sideways. I'll face that hurdle when the pain starts to abate.

Can you not shuffle to the centre of the bed more? Don't know if that will help, though I do have a double bed, which would help in your situation.

Sheelee Xx