Hi, I am new to this forum

Rosehip
Rosehip Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

I am in my 50's and had a left hip replacement in May 2022. I used to be very active before my hip became a real problem. I find it hard to find sound information in terms of what it is safe to do post hip replacement. e.g. can anyone advise me how to safely get in and out of a bath?!!! Any tips most appreciated :-)

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 739

Hello @Rosehip welcome to the online community

You have recently had a hip replacement and are enquiring about what it is safe to do post operation. Our members have posted lots of comments and tips about pre and post replacement surgery so there is a lot of interesting information to read as well as the helpful VA factsheets.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/your-home/

https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55224/hip-replacement-tips#latest

We are glad you found us and hope that you will be encouraged by the information and members posts.

Do stay in touch and post again soon to let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 17. Mar 2023, 10:47

Hi Rosehip, welcome to this lovely forum. I had hip replacement about 2 years ago. I've given up trying to get up from the bath. I just shower now. We are in the process of looking to refit our bathroom (my husband still wants to keep a bath, as he loves a good soak), and we were thinking about baths with grab handles, or fitting a grab rail to the wall above the bath. But I decided to try sitting in the bath while I we were in the showroom. Let's just say it wasn't elegant, and almost didn't end well, as I have to turn over and get up from a face-down position. This is near impossible in our bath at home (670mm wide) but on the slightly larger modern baths (mostly 700mm wide, but wider across the base too) it was just about doable. But this was without water, and with socks and clothes on. I suspect in a wet bath, it would have been a different story. I'm not convinced handles and grab rails would help me, but then I've had a few ongoing complications post surgery, so that might be contributing to my lack of bath-time agility.

I'm not too bothered as I prefer a shower anyway, but it would have been nice to be able to have a soak now and then. Not to scare you, but I do know of someone whose new hip dislocated in the bath, so she ended up with four big blokes trying to work out how to get her, naked, out of the bath with a dislocated hip! She's a tough character and saw the funny side, but it must have been a difficult experience.

So you're not alone in this problem, but I'll watch with interest to see if someone comes up with a more constructive solution.

• Rosehip
    Rosehip Member Posts: 6

Dear Lilymary,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. The dislocation in the bath story is a scenario I fear, hence not having tried the bath yet. I have been trying to work out how to theoretically do it, but have been too frightened to try. It was a case of I wondered if I was either worrying too much, or missing the obvious. In a way it is nice to know that it isn't a case of it is simple and I was missing the obvious.

Thank you for your kindness.