BONE PAIN

Glory
Glory Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I have only just joined. I've joined because I feel I could use some help and encouragement.

At the moment I have been diagnosed with acute osteo arthritis. Have had it for several years. The last six months have been a real struggle. My pain has got a LOT worse. I am already taking MST, Pregablin, Oral Morph (for breakthrough pain), Paracetamol. Ibuprophen gel to rub on painful areas etc. So on quite a far amount. However, lately does not seem to cover my pain. Recently getting Leg pain which seems to radiate from my bones (really painful) and also pain which is hot (I know that seems weird) but seem like I have a radiator implanted into my leg bones.

Has anyone else experienced these types of pain and if so how did you overcome it/deal with it.

At the moment I seem to be at my lowest. I am usually quiet good at picking myself up and dusting myself down and getting on with things... but struggling at the moment.

I have just had an MIR scan and stilling awaiting results because of backlogs with NHS. Doctor thinks the leg pain radiate from my back. Also get back and neck pain but these seem under control most of the time.

Helpful suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• SharminB
    SharminB Moderator Posts: 90

Hi @Glory,

Thank you for joining and welcome to the online community :)

Sorry to hear about your pain. It seems like you've been trying and tried a few different things. I wonder if you've had the opportunity to speak be referred to a pain clinic. If you haven't, you can ask your GP to refer you. Pain clinics can go through medication, physical therapy, psychological therapy and complementary and alternative therapies and medicines. You can also take a look on our 'Living with arthritis' forum thread to read and ask others about their experiences.

Best wishes,

Sharmin - Mod

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398

Hi Glory and welcome, sorry to hear your condition has deteriorated but you've come to the right place as most of us are in the same boat.

I have OA in both knees and know the "hot pain" thing very well which sometimes brings me out in a cold sweat. I use those cool box ice packs usually wrapped in a towel to soak up moisture, also helps with the inflammation.

I gave up on Paracetemol and Ibuprofen gel some months ago as it wasn't even touching the sides. Check with your GP or a Pharmacist first for compatibility with your current meds but Co-Codemol is a step up and could help. I take CBD capsules (derived from Hemp), use a TENS machine and rub in Hemp cream, Voltorol 12 hour gel and FlexiSeq (which helps with joint lubrication). Pretty much all this lot available from a good high street pharmacy like Lloyds or Boots. It's a right faff managing this lot every day but it's the difference between leading an (almost) normal life or being housebound for me.

Good luck, hope some of these help if you try them out

jon

• Glory

Hi Jon

Thank you so much for your advice.

I have just started using CBD cream on my legs and this does seem to cool them down and relieve the pain (to a degree). I am also trying CBD vape (this help me to relax but sometimes makes me relax too much and I fall asleep).

I will look into the TENS machine... I have heard others saying they use one also and it helps them.

I appreciate you giving your time to try to help me.

Glory

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88

Oh, yes! I have severe OA in my left hip, but I sometimes feel the pain like an ache that goes all the way down my femur bone. It is pretty hard to take. I usually declare a "do-nothing" day to rest and take pain meds (alas, I am in the US, where stronger meds are almost NEVER prescribed; and I take heart meds that rule out NSAIDs, so Tylenol is my only choice😣). Something that I have recently discovered is that physical activity, even if it is uncomfortable, seems to help. Long story, but I ended up with a dog that I have not been able to rehome. She is extremely energetic & ends up walking me more than I walk her! I have noticed that my hip actually hurts less over all. If you'd like to try this "cure", you'll have to travel to Ohio to pick her up!

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398

Fantastic Tlee, glad you're finding the exercise is helping - what it's doing is to build strength around the joints and aid lubrication. Yes, it will hurt as it's a gradual process but in time you might find yourself able to be even more active.

Your pooch looks adorable!

Take care,

jon

• Glory

Hi

Thanks for your posts.

I do have a dog, a Chow Chow. Unfortunately I have not been able to take her for a walk for 1 year now. I have thought about trying to take her on very very short walk... but not sure if I am up to it.

Anyone want to walk my dog. lol.

Gloria

• TLee

I would encourage trying the short walks. I find it is good not just for my physical pain, but getting out for a few minutes of sun and fresh air elevates my mood. I understand that everyone experiences different types and levels of pain, but maybe you can find a way to keep yours at a minimum. I try to do much of my walking on level ground, paved if possible, and call it quits before the back pain becomes too intense. There have been times that I pushed too far and was nearly crying with each step back home, so I avoid long treks. I hope you can find something that works for you and can get out and enjoy a bit of the world. And your dog will love it!

• Glory

Thank you.

I might try a small walk on a good day.

• TLee

I hope it goes well. My newest canine companion is high energy & at first wanted to pull me around terribly. Dogs are so intelligent and intuitive, she soon learned "Wait for me", and now will even circle back to check on me! Hubby says she's worried that, if I go down, she'll be anchored to me! I hope your big Chow Chow is a calm sort. If I had been able to choose my dog (instead of having one show up on my doorstep), I would have tried a more compact model!