Are tomatoes bad for arthritis?

Options
Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:23 in Food and Diet

Can eating too many tomatoes lead to inflammation and arthritis symptoms?

Not necessarily. But unfortunately, there’s a persistent myth that tomatoes will make your arthritis symptoms worse.

Comments

• Carolanne
    Carolanne Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hope not! I’ve grown tomatoes first time this year. Have eaten lots

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Carolanne and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

You haven't said in your post how arthritis affects you so please post and let us know so that we can provide information and support relevant to you. Our website has a lot of useful information and also a good search function and I would urge you to have a look. We also have a Helpline as well. To help you I've added a couple of links below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and how we can help.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

By the way we grew tomatoes this year but were disappointed as most were small (though tasted OK)😀

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@Brynmor Great post! I also saw this in a New Scientist article that debunked the recycled lore on nightshade plants being bad for RA due to solanine, which only exists in significant amounts in rotten tatters!

I love peppers and jalapeños… I had a load of them in my Tossed(TM) salad last friday and had my best night sleep with no RA demon!

• MiseKaren
    MiseKaren Member Posts: 1
    Options

I recently changed my diet and am eating mostly a large amount of salad and raspberries and blueberries. Three roma tomatoes a day, a green pepper, an avocado, some lettuce, a can of beans , a little olive oil and almonds. I also came down with fatigue, fairly strong pain in the joints of my hands, elbows, knees and ankles, and some chills at first. I have not had noticable joint pain for this except after I took the moderna covid vaccines. I am wondering if the diet could now be triggering the joint pain.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 992
    Options

Hello @MiseKaren and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I understand that you are wondering what effect diet can have on arthritis and your pain. Our website has some useful information which might be of interest. Have a look at

and also

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.