Another Covid Spring Booster

jamieA
jamieA Member Posts: 691
edited 7. Mar 2023, 14:40 in Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It looks like anyone who is immunosuppressed will be offered a covid vaccine spring booster.

There's a reference to The Green Book for a list of those illnesses this covers. Tables 3 and 4 on pages 24-26 in the green book lists all those affected.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Thanks for the heads up Jamie. I must say I've always been called early for them but it's still good to know they're coming.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    edited 8. Mar 2023, 13:40

Hi @stickywicket

One thing it does state is that there needs be 6 months since your last vaccination. Quite a few of the vaccination centres here have closed and the ones that are open are only open on a rotational basis so it may mean either waiting longer or travelling farther.

My wife tested positive for covid at the beginning of last week - that's twice she's had it in the last year - though this time she tested negative after only 5 days. I tested regularly during the time she was positive and I always tested negative so maybe my 6 vaccinations are doing their job.

• jamieA

Just for anyone interested - NHS Scotland are starting to roll out their covid spring booster programme from 11th April. It looks like you can book it online if you don't want to wait for the blue envelope.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

We just got our dates today. Mine by post, his by email. Both for May. Thank you Scottish Borders.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84

Invitation by text. Booked for early May at GP.

• jamieA

Like @scotleag I got my invitation by text. Unfortunately it was for 7pm on a Saturday night in a city centre location but I was able to change it easily online and so I'm booked for lunchtime next Monday out of town where I'll be able to park.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 131

I've just had a text inviting me to book at a clinic at the GP at the end of the month. I've now left a message with the rheumatology advice line as after each previous boosters my knees have deteriorated leading to them having to increase/add to my medication. Also I'm still recovering from a virus which wiped me out last week so I'm just wanting to talk through the pros and cons!

• jamieA
    edited 14. Apr 2023, 19:25

I thought I’d just add a reminder about the VROOM study last year where the findings were that having a 2 week break from MTX after having the booster gives a better chance of protection. It’s best to check with your rheumatology clinic if this is ok for you.

• jamieA

I attended my booster appointment on Monday and was mystified that none of the medical staff were wearing masks. It wasn't as if it's a small operation there were 12 vaccination stations in the hall. Considering this booster is for the over 75's, the most vulnerable and those immunosuppressed I found that baffling. The only people I saw wearing masks were the people being vaccinated. I told my vaccinator that I was immunocompromised and asked if he could wear a mask - which he did - but I do think that this is a bit crazy.

Funnily enough this is the first time I've had a bit of a reaction to the vaccination. I've had a severe headache and aching joints since Monday night.

• Hermione
    Hermione Member Posts: 15

I’ve been refused a spring 2023 vaccination. I’m on 7.5mg methotrexate and had a text from my GP surgery urging me to book a spring vaccine but they said I should only book into the one session where they would have the “right” vaccine for immunosuppressed patients. I knew it would be very difficult for me to make that date so I went online to the NHS and booked an alternative date two days ago at a local pharmacy (having ticked the box that I was immunosuppressed so I assumed it would only show availability for the appropriate vaccine - or is that too much to expect?). When I turned up the pharmacist refused to vaccinate me. She said their rules stated I had to be on a minimum of 20mg MTX. She phoned “head office” and said they confirmed the decision. (I was amused that in so doing, she left me alone in a consultation room with several pre-filled syringes lying out on the desk - could have sneaked a DIY one!). Today I checked the Green Book (thanks for link above) and there is no mention of any specific dose of MTX in table 3 and the table says that anyone on long-term immunosuppression for RA is eligible, so I believe I am eligible. Pharmacist could not explain why the GP would give it to me but she could not. It would have been the Cominarty one. She did not say this was not suitable, only that my dose of MTX was not high enough.

Anyone else been refused on these grounds? I’ve had to cancel a weekend away now and book into the GP session in three weeks. Really annoyed!

• Hermione
    Hermione Member Posts: 15

Update: (also posted on Living with). Pharmacy now confirm, having checked with area NHS, that anyone on ANY dose of oral methotrexate is definitely eligible for the spring 2023 Covid booster vaccination. 😄. Always worth challenging.