Methotrexate raised liver enxymes

Options

Hi, I've been on Methotrexate since being diagnosed with RA last June. Initially I had a couple of blood test results which showed the liver enzymes were slightly raised but was told it was ok to continue.

I received a letter on Monday telling me there was an abnormal liver result and to stop medication for 2 weeks. I then need a blood test before they decide if I can continue on Methotrexate. Unfortunately I had done my weekly injection the night before I received the letter.

Has anyone else had this and what was the outcome?

Thsnk you ๐Ÿ™‚

Comments

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

Hi @Jane68 I've had a similar experience. Slight raises and told okay to continue. But a couple of times I've been told to put the MTX on hold pending fresh blood tests. Each time it turned out okay to restart methotrexate. Obviously everyone is different but hope my experience gives some re-assurance all will be well.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

@Jane68 not your fault you had already taken this dose just take teh two weeks off from the next dose and book your blood tests in.

Fingers crossed for you that your liver is happier after the break

Toni x

• Caleb1981
    Caleb1981 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi @Jane68 ,

I was told my liver enzymes were elevated 3 weeks ago but the advice was to remain on the same dose and repeat bloods in 2 weeks, the repeat test showed that my liver enzymes had double and I was to stop Methotrexate indefinitely. This is the second time this has happened in 6 months and always within a few weeks of increasing my dose to 10mg. I think Iโ€™m going to be told to try an alternative, just kinda got used to Methotrexate too.

Hopefully yours is just a blip and you can get settled on it again ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป.

• Hyder2020
    Hyder2020 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi, I recently started methxrate 2.5mg had my blood tests done. Been just few weeks will post once I get my reports again done this weekend. As far as I know initially a lower starting dose is recommended. To see the effects it has on you. Remember one thing, LFT blood tests are good for elevated enzymes but you should ask your doctor for a Liver ultrasound as well. Because it will help you decide with your doctor about the strength of the medicine. Ultrasound shows advance picture of your liver condition often. For me I was diagnosed with Fatty liver. Yet my levels were all within the range. So had been given a proper diet plan to counter it. If left untreated could do potential damage. Better to stay safe!

• Hyder2020
    Options

Hi, consider discussing some natural supplements as well with your doctor! Alternative therapy or supportive.

• Nfk_gal0617
    Nfk_gal0617 Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hi Jane 68, How are you doing?

Thought I would respond as a relative of mine could not take Methetraxate at all. This was a higher dose for cancer, however the medics tryed to re-introduce it at a very low dose to see if body would adjust, but no, liver function went sky high. Others on the same protocol seemed to managed fine. Strange how we are all different.

The better drugs for controlling our immuce system are more expensive but the Rheumatologists in the uk have to offer two off licence cheaper drugs before they are allowed to bring the others out of their goody box. So maybe a blessing in disguise, your might get a more specific treatment.

I take Vit D3 (which is supposed to help with immunity) and K2. Who knows if they are doing any good as you dont know how you would be without them, to compare, if you get my gist.

Hope you get sorted soon,

Take care, Nf gal

• Hyder2020
    Options

Hi, consider discussing some natural supplements as well with your doctor! Alternative therapy or supportive.

• Hyder2020
    Options

Hi, I recently started methxrate 2.5mg had my blood tests done. Been just few weeks will post once I get my reports again done this weekend. As far as I know initially a lower starting dose is recommended. To see the effects it has on you. Remember one thing, LFT blood tests are good for elevated enzymes but you should ask your doctor for a Liver ultrasound as well. Because it will help you decide with your doctor about the strength of the medicine. Ultrasound shows advance picture of your liver condition often. For me I was diagnosed with Fatty liver. Yet my levels were all within the range. So had been given a proper diet plan to counter it. If left untreated could do potential damage. Better to stay safe!

• Jane68
    Jane68 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Thanks everyone ๐Ÿ™‚. I finally got to see the consultant yesterday who said I couldn't go back on the Methotrexate because of the liver levels. I was relieved as had felt so unwell on it.

I haven't got the new drug names to hand, but he's suggested a malaria drug plus one of the two methotrexate alternatives plus a course of steroids again.

I hope you're all doing ok.

Jane

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hydroxychloroquine that's your malaria drug one of mine too. Did upset my stomach a little at first so I took it after food and that helped a lot.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Toni x

• Jane68
    Jane68 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Thanks Toni,

Are you in Sulfasalazine as well? I was going to choose this over Leflunomide.