click here please

dramaqueen
dramaqueen Member Posts: 9
edited 7. Dec 2008, 18:01 in Young people's community
Hello. My name is Holly and i have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA) i have had arthritis since i was 9. Have been on weekly injections for about a year and i have swaped to a new drug now. It took a long time for the doctors to figure out that it was arthritis. My first phsiio said i was making it up! what a cheek eh? I am very small for my age and lots of people think im 8 when they first meet me. are there any others with similar problems? can u reply as soon as possible? i feel very lonely! :wink:

Post edited by Moderator. See information in posting in young people's forum IF YOU ARE AGE 14 OR UNDER - PLEASE READ THIS regarding disclosing age etc on a forum

YEH

Comments

• julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Holly
    My son has JIA too.
    He was diagnoses when he was 13, that was 2 years ago.
    I see we come from the same part of scotland.
    Do you attend PRI?
    I'm sure one of the other young ones with JIA will be in touch with you soon.
    Take care of yourself
    julie
  • dramaqueen
    it's always good to hear that someone else has the same problems! i have had arthritis for 3 years. yes, i attend PRI. I go to Nine wells alot too. iv been to Edinburgh for steroid injections, have been to PRI for X-rays, eye tests (I am not long out of hospital with shingles) i'v been lots of places! :roll:
  • katelyn13
    katelyn13 Bots Posts: 4
    dramaqueen wrote:
    Hello. My name is Holly and i have Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA) [deleted by Moderator] i have had arthritis since i was 9. Have been on weekly injections for about a year and i have swaped to a new drug now. It took a long time for the doctors to figure out that it was arthritis. My first phsiio said i was making it up! what a cheek eh? I am very small for my age and lots of people think im 8 when they first meet me. are there any others with similar problems? can u reply as soon as possible? i feel very lonely! :wink:

Post edited by Moderator. See information in posting in young people's forum IF YOU ARE AGE 14 OR UNDER - PLEASE READ THIS regarding disclosing age etc on a forum

YEH

Hi Holly,

I'm 18 with JIA had it since i was 7 its sucks lol i was always smaller than alot of my friends but i did catch up a bit when i got better control of my disease. Guessing by once a week injections your on metho horrible stuff but does the job.

Any questions just ask

Katie
  • dramaqueen
    Well, im not on the metho anymore. it didnt do the job right. it just made me ill! im on etanercept (dont no how 2 spell it!) :lol: I am not allowed 2 say my age on the forum (due 2 the moderater!) if it helps, im 6 years younger than you. i have a question, did you ever have 2 sit out in PE in skool? i cant do anythin. and also, do you go 2 PRI?
  • katelyn13
    katelyn13 Bots Posts: 4
    dramaqueen wrote:
    Well, im not on the metho anymore. it didnt do the job right. it just made me ill! im on etanercept (dont no how 2 spell it!) :lol: I am not allowed 2 say my age on the forum (due 2 the moderater!) if it helps, im 6 years younger than you. i have a question, did you ever have 2 sit out in PE in skool? i cant do anythin. and also, do you go 2 PRI?

kl i usually go with enbrel rather than trying to spell it properly lol they make me stick myself twice a week yuk lol so thats why i went with metho i kno what you mean with the metho its horrible but still take a small dose as it seems to help the enbrel work better but get to take it as a tablet so it isn't as bad as injections.

I used to miss p.e at school a lot, but my school were quite good with me and would allow me to go to the library and catch up on stuff i'd missed if i'd been off or homework i forgot t do lol which was normally the case lol.

I'm guessing by your other post PRI is perth?

I'm a bit further south and go to Wishaw General just outside Glasgow
  • dramaqueen
    edited 18. Sep 2008, 07:02
    yeah_Perth Royal Infurmery. do u not go? i am off the skool lots but they never give me homework and stuff iv missed (thank GOD!) we have a new head teacher at our skool and she is like so strict. she has given me a locker that is on the ground so i have to struggle onto my knees and there is a girl in the locker above me always pushes me out the way and that REALLY hurts. i am scared of walkin through the skool cos the older guys r crashin round everywhere. i can hardly c as well. i had shingles! i am so used to injections now. my friend faints at the sight of injections. we r gettin our injections 2 reduce the risk of cancer and all my friends are terrified but in my case...Bring it on! LOL

How r ur joints? xxxx :D
  • isobel
    isobel Member Posts: 3
    dramaqueen wrote:
    yeah_Perth Royal Infurmery. do u not go? i am off the skool lots but they never give me homework and stuff iv missed (thank GOD!) we have a new head teacher at our skool and she is like so strict. she has given me a locker that is on the ground so i have to struggle onto my knees and there is a girl in the locker above me that luvs herself. so she always pushes me out the way and that REALLY hurts. i am scared of walkin through the skool cos the older guys r crashin round everywhere. i can hardly c as well. i had shingles! i am so used to injections now. my friend faints at the sight of injections. we r gettin our injections 2 reduce the risk of cancer and all my friends are terrified but in my case...Bring it on! LOL

Hi Holly!

I'm 21, and have had JIA since I was 5. The schools I've been to have always been very considerate so I am surprised to hear about your locker situation. I really think you should speak to your form tutor about that if you haven't already- having to bend down to a locker is bad enough when you have our condition (I remember when I had a locker on the lowest row), but you definately shouldn't tolerate the girl above treating you like that. Someone in the school should be able to help you.
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    dramaqueen wrote:
    yeah_Perth Royal Infurmery. do u not go? i am off the skool lots but they never give me homework and stuff iv missed (thank GOD!) we have a new head teacher at our skool and she is like so strict. she has given me a locker that is on the ground so i have to struggle onto my knees and there is a girl in the locker above me that luvs herself. so she always pushes me out the way and that REALLY hurts. i am scared of walkin through the skool cos the older guys r crashin round everywhere. i can hardly c as well. i had shingles! i am so used to injections now. my friend faints at the sight of injections. we r gettin our injections 2 reduce the risk of cancer and all my friends are terrified but in my case...Bring it on! LOL

Hi there,

just wanted to say hang in there! I am now 36 and was diagnosed with RA when I was 15 months old. For the first 7 years there was no medication available for kids. It does seem bad but there are times when you can get control back. I am a qualified personal trainer and work out, swim, do pilates and aerobics every week. You will come to know what your body can do.

One thing I wish I knew earlier was the importance of building up your bone density strength in my twenties. Also, as soon as nutritionally ok, take glucosomin and chondroitin, it helps protect for the future - check with Doctor first.

Positive thinking helps and it really it ok to feel the pits. It's part of the disease to get low and miserable so don't feel bad about it.

highly recommend swimming regularly though.

hope this helps,

Lx
  • dramaqueen
    thank you for the tip.
    i get hydrotherapy and that helps alot. 15 months old? wat a shame! well done for coping.
    Holly. x :wink:
  • katherine810
    katherine810 Member Posts: 67
    Hi Sweetie :)
    I'm 15, and have had JIA since I was 4.
    I'm on the small side too, so most people think i'm 11 when they meet me !
    I'm on Mexothrotate & Enbrel too :)

Hope to speak to you soon !
    Lots of love
    Katherine
    x
  • dramaqueen
    Thanks 4 the post Katherine!
    Gonna be starting a growth hormone on the 8th of December and im really xited 2 be honest.
    Hope u have a nice x-mas! xxx :wink:
  • stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    hiya,
    I've had JIA since I was four aswell, I'm sixteen now.
    I'm only 5 foot 2 which is small but some of my friends at college are same height :lol:
    But no worries if u want to chat then message me :)

love
    Stephanie