off work

oxonlyn
oxonlyn Member Posts: 4
hi everyone
I was diagnosed with RA in August - have beenon Methotrexate for 6 weeks. I work in the NHS in a very demanding job which I love & have been doing for the last 20 years. Since my diagnosis & increasing difficulties with daily tasks due mainly to the pain in my shoulders & my wrists occy health have told me to take time off work. My question is how long should I expect to be off? Will I ever be able to do oncalls etc again? What happens now? I am feeling very isolated & grumpy - I know I should be thinking of this time as an opportunity to rest & explore new things but finding it difficult to remain positive. Any advice would be welcomed
Lyn

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lyn
    I am sorry you aren't well :(
    However you have certainly come to the right place - WELCOME!
    Now you need to wait until one or two NHS people with RA have time to log on and you'll have all the answers you need on this subject! :wink:
    For me personally I have a very part-time job and not NHS , employers great, no pressure so I am very very lucky.I do know it
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    I work for the NHS on the wards and I have been off for a year but I am now getting a phased return to work I could do with being off longer just to get my DAMARDS sorted out but I can't afford to be off any longer I would say take the time off to get things under control and take it from there they are quiet good at helping you get back to work well my health board is lol

Best of luck to you and I am sure after some time off you will feel the benefit of it
  • oxonlyn
    thankyou to all those who have replied - it has given me a more realistic time scale! I'll try not to be so inpatient ! some days I feel as if ofcourse I can work - others I can't turn on a light switch without being in agony. It is the variable nature of this condition that takes a while to come to terms with.
    thank you so much
    Lyn
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Does your name meen you live in the Oxford area? Just being nosey, but thats where I was born and lived until 1995, when we moved to Norfolk for Husbands work. I still miss it and have family their. Love Sue
  • oxonlyn
    woodbon wrote:
    Does your name meen you live in the Oxford area? Just being nosey, but thats where I was born and lived until 1995, when we moved to Norfolk for Husbands work. I still miss it and have family their. Love Sue

Hi Sue
    Yes we live quite near Oxford, we have been here for 7 years and it feels like home now.Norfolk is also a beautiful part of the country - you are very lucky to live somewhere like that, though like Oxford it must get crowded in summer with all of the visitors!
    Love Lyn