Confused

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
Hello,
I've already posted a question on LWA forum but I thought you might be able to help me also :) I was told by a dentist that I had 'wear and tear' in both right and left jaw joint. He couldn't tell me if it was arthritis :? Another dentist after having seen same x-ray, said I had OA of both jaw joints. He also said I had several erosions in jaw joint. I know they aren't rhuematologists but they have some knowledge of these diseases.
I'm confused because I've read that RA causes erosions in joints and OA is 'wear and tear' of joints where the cartilage is 'gone' and bone is rubbing against bone! Can you have both?? Can OA cause erosions too? Also, I know RA can be a symmetrical disease but is it the same with OA? I've 'googled' erosions and OA and there's mention of 'EROSIVE OA'? Also, tried to call the help-line number to get an info pack and it wouldn't connect? Thanks,
Magenta
PS Sorry, that's more than one question :D

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Magenta

When doctors and dentists talk about 'wear & tear' they mean osteoarthritis. It might be a good idea for a doctor to see these xrays and comment on the erosions. It is more usual for erosions to be associated with RA whereas in OA the bone tends to overgrow to compensate for the lack of cartilage but we are all individual and our arthritis affects us in different ways.
    You can have both RA and OA and OA can be symmetrical but you really need to talk to your doctors about this.
    I'm sorry you couldn't get through to us on the Helpline. We are here today and the phone is certainly working OK. Give us a ring if you want to talk or if you just need an info pack send us a private message with your address and the booklets you want and we'll post it to you.

Best wishes

Val
  • magenta
    Thanks Val,
    I seen a new dr today and he's wanting to see a report on jaw xrays. They are putting me on etodolac and losec. I got various xrays done and I've to go back as a ward patient for a medical review. Things are looking up with regards treatment-I'm now getting some! Thay're wanting to rule out Ankylosing spondylitis and basically wanting to help me with pain etc.
    I will pm re booklets.
    Thank you,
    Magenta
  • magenta
    Hi Val,
    Thanks for the all the information and leaflets you sent me,
    Magenta x