a& E versus minor injuries unit

Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
I thought my recent shoulder pain was related to my arthritis (RA) but noticed last night that the shoulder was not moving like the other one & seems to be not in the right place. :?

On NHS direct website their advice is to go to A&E to see someone - but that is miles away and I can't drive with this arm like this, so would have to go on the train. I was thinking of going to the minor injuries unit in my town, where they have access to x-ray and physio depts. I can get there on the bus.

But, the A&E hospital is the hospital where the rheumatology dept is based, so they could call on more expertise if they needed to.

can't decide ....... have you any suggestions please? (other than to chop my arm off which believe me I have thought of many times in the last 24 hours!!! :wink: )

can't get a GP appintment until Monday

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Wonkylegs

The fact that you are hesitating suggests that you don't feel it is an emergency situation neceisitating a trip to A&E. Perhaps you need to consider who can best accomodate your needs and which warrrants the effort you will need to put into getting there. If you feel that the minor injuries can meet your immediate needs with the least effort then perhaps that would be the best immediate action rather than no action and continuous pain.

Either way please don't cut your arm off as it will make it rather difficult getting your fare out for the trip :wink:
    I hope you figure it out soon as you don't want to be in so much pain overnight. If it can be sorted - better sooner rather than later.

Wishing you a painfree weekend. If it would help to have a chat you know where we are.

Simona
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Thanks Simona,

I went to minor injuries .... saw one of their nurse practitioners. She seemed to think that the shoulder was ok and it was the muscle that had been damaged somehow. :roll:

Told me off for only taking co-codamol when it was too bad rather than taking regular painkillers :oops: so now I know! She also referred me for a physio consult, but they didnt have a physio in the department this afternoon :? so i have got an appointment for Wednesday which was the first they could offer. :o

At least I have been able to put my mind at rest that there is not apparently something more sinister going on, and I know that the physio dept will help me with yet more exercises to add to my long list ...........

but I also know that I will have to take a Wii games system off my Christmas list :wink: as they reckon the 5 mins I used on for on Friday is probably the cause of all my problems! :roll:

and there I was thinking that I was doing some exercise!

thanks again
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Hi Wonkylegs

Glad you got this sorted out and it's nothing sinister. Keep taking the painkillers and have a good weekend.

Best wishes

Val