Don't Move a Muscle - Or Else!!!!!

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 27. Nov 2008, 19:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I have to go for a bone scan next Wednesday morning because my Mum has oestopororsis and I've now reached the menopause. The scan sounds very simple as it's only like a circular x-ray arm that hovers over my body moving from hips to toes.

This part doesn't concern me at all, what worries me is that in the literature it says it takes 15 - 20 minutes to carry out the procedure and I know that I won't be able to lie still for that long :shock: Even when I'm in my lovely comfy bed at night I'm always twitching and turning I seem to get settled in a comfy position for about 5 mins and then my arthritis starts begging me to move and I can think of nothing else till I do.

I'm trying to be practical and will take my MP3 player with me to try to concentrate on that but what happens if I move will they have to start all over again :shock: ? Does anyone know :?:

Luv Legs :(
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi lindalegs,i think you should have a word with the nurses or who evers carrying out your scan and explain your situation.im sure they will put your mind at ease.im like you i cant keep still for long and especialy in bed at night.im from one side of the bed to the other and often nearly fall out as i i havent realised im on the edge of the bed. :)
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hey Legs,

Don't know whether it is the same but I had a CT scan today and the letter that came said it would take 15/ 20 mins and like you I was worried about lying still- but it only took 5 mins and when I asked (more worried about coughing at the moment)about coughing the radiologist said she would tell me when I had to be still and not to worry. It was very quick and easy and in fact I was back in my car on the way home by the time I should have been in the scanner (very efficient at my local hospital!!!).
    Love Kate x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Hey Legs,

Don't know whether it is the same but I had a CT scan today and the letter that came said it would take 15/ 20 mins and like you I was worried about lying still- but it only took 5 mins and when I asked (more worried about coughing at the moment)about coughing the radiologist said she would tell me when I had to be still and not to worry. It was very quick and easy and in fact I was back in my car on the way home by the time I should have been in the scanner (very efficient at my local hospital!!!).
    Love Kate x
    If you are very worried, ring the department in advance or speak to your GP it may be possible to have a relaxant, years age I had a serious post op infection (nothing to do with arthritis) and could't lie flat without sedation, but they managed and I felt fine :mrgreen: Love Sue
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Did you mean a bone scan, which uses a camera or a bone densitometry scan, (BDS), which uses a strong magnetic field? With a strong magnetic field you can't use an MP3 player as the magnetic field will most likely damage it.

If its a BDS then your wedged in one position to stop you moving about and it takes about 10 mins. Any problem then it is start again. They had 2 photocopies of me as they really didn't believe the first one. :mrgreen:

Guess its tie-down time or else. I promised never to mention the pink, fluffy handcuffs :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif