Cellulitis

debsmartin
debsmartin Member Posts: 209
edited 28. Nov 2008, 09:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I have been struggling the last couple of days with a really inflamed wrist thought it was RA playing up but showed it to the nurse at my RA appointment and she got the doctor to check it and it turns out its an infection called Cellulitis so have been put on a course of anti-biotics and been given a steroid injection because the anti-biotics will affect my mtx, doctor or nurse couldn't say what had caused it just wondered if anyone else has had this sort of problem and is it something you can prevent. Just know I feel pretty rough but have had to come in work today because I was off yesterday with hospital appointment.

Thanks

Debs

Comments

• petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Debs, please take care. I don't think you should be working, this is a major infection you have. My friend ended up in hospital with this last year. Like you they could not identify the cause.

Hope you get over it soon. Linda
  • debsmartin
    petmad wrote:
    Oh Debs, please take care. I don't think you should be working, this is a major infection you have. My friend ended up in hospital with this last year. Like you they could not identify the cause.

Hope you get over it soon. Linda

Thanks for your reply Linda, I was beginning to wonder how serious it was because I have started to feel rougher the longer the day wears on. Might have to brave it and ask to finish early and hopefully see how I feel tomorrow.

Thanks Debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    OMG Debs
    My ex had it in his leg and the inflamation grew and grew till they admitted him for IV antibiotics.
    They sent him out in a fullleg length plaster cast open at the front to stop him moving it.
    My guess is that it's coz your immune system is low...Rest lots and take the anti b's. Watch the area and if it looks like spraeding - take medical advice ASAP.
    Good luck and look after yourself
    Toni x
  • debsmartin
    frogmorton wrote:
    OMG Debs
    My ex had it in his leg and the inflamation grew and grew till they admitted him for IV antibiotics.
    They sent him out in a fullleg length plaster cast open at the front to stop him moving it.
    My guess is that it's coz your immune system is low...Rest lots and take the anti b's. Watch the area and if it looks like spraeding - take medical advice ASAP.
    Good luck and look after yourself
    Toni x

Thanks Toni
    Resting up at the moment but will definately be keeping an eye on the inflamation, I have got 10 days worth of antibiotics so lets hope they do the trick, don't think I can cope with anything else going wrong
    debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Debs
    Glad all is well - just keep it that way! :wink:
    Let us know how you get on - 10 days anti b's tend to make you think they're taking it serously anyway.
    Toni x
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

I have been struggling the last couple of days with a really inflamed wrist thought it was RA playing up but showed it to the nurse at my RA appointment and she got the doctor to check it and it turns out its an infection called Cellulitis so have been put on a course of anti-biotics and been given a steroid injection because the anti-biotics will affect my mtx, doctor or nurse couldn't say what had caused it just wondered if anyone else has had this sort of problem and is it something you can prevent. Just know I feel pretty rough but have had to come in work today because I was off yesterday with hospital appointment.

Thanks

Debs
    I was interested to read this post as I suffer from diabetiss and my toes are in an awful way all the symptons are here toes are on fire very sore to touch red at toe does this make you feel sick and weak ?

Mike R & Hazel
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • debsmartin
    mike77 wrote:
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

Thanks

Debs
    I was interested to read this post as I suffer from diabetiss and my toes are in an awful way all the symptons are here toes are on fire very sore to touch red at toe does this make you feel sick and weak ?

Mike R & Hazel

Hi Mike R & Hazel
    Sorry you are struggling, the redness and the sore to touch sounds very similar to my symptons hasn't made me feel sick but do feel very weak and tired which is not good as don't sleep very well with RA. Think you would be best to get it checked out just to be on the safeside but on a positive side my mum is a diabetic and she has always had problems with her feet so could be a sympton of that. I know my mum had something done to her nerve endings in her feet just to try and stop the burning feet - nit that it helped much mums always got her sandals on even in winter complaining her feet are burning up.
    Take care
    Debs
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    debsmartin wrote:
    mike77 wrote:
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

Thanks

Debs

Mike R & Hazel

Hi Mike R & Hazel
    Sorry you are struggling, the redness and the sore to touch sounds very similar to my symptons hasn't made me feel sick but do feel very weak and tired which is not good as don't sleep very well with RA. Think you would be best to get it checked out just to be on the safeside but on a positive side my mum is a diabetic and she has always had problems with her feet so could be a sympton of that. I know my mum had something done to her nerve endings in her feet just to try and stop the burning feet - nit that it helped much mums always got her sandals on even in winter complaining her feet are burning up.
    Take care
    Debs
    hI

i HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE 10TH dECEMBER to see the gp, my mum before she died had it in one of her feet but I have it on both of my toes , I hope the anti biootcs work ( sorry about spelling ) I hope to hear that your wrist is on the mend.

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • debsmartin
    mike77 wrote:
    debsmartin wrote:
    mike77 wrote:

Mike R & Hazel

Hi Mike R & Hazel
    Take care
    Debs
    hI

i HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE 10TH dECEMBER to see the gp, my mum before she died had it in one of her feet but I have it on both of my toes , I hope the anti biootcs work ( sorry about spelling ) I hope to hear that your wrist is on the mend.

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D

Thats good, hopefully you will be posting to say everything is ok, will let you know how the tablets work
    Take care
    debs