Newly diagnosed - advice re sleep please!

mylo
mylo Member Posts: 53
edited 30. Nov 2008, 11:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've recently been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and am having trouble sleeping, because of shoulder pain. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting comfortable please?

Comments

• mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Mylo, Perhaps you can move your sleep patterns around until you get the meds sorted out? I sometimes zzzz in the afternoon and then stay up a bit later. I have a memory mattress (nothing flashy -Aldi £40) which is so good. I've ordered up some memory pilllows so I can't give you any advice about those. Sometimes I have a late night cup of tea or if I'm feeling flash some milk (that helps me).
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    I find that having plenty of pillows to prop up whichever bits of me are sore helps me to geet off to sleep.

At the moment my shoulder is really sore so i can sympathise with you. I sometimes sleep on my back with the sore arm raised on a squishy pillow, other times I lay on the other side and cuddle a pillow which seems to take the pressure off the shoulder a bit.

You might find lavender helps to send you off to sleep. I was advised by the physio dept, to put a drop of lavendar essential oil on my pillow. Hate the smell but it seems to work!

hope that helps
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hello,
    I was prescribed amitryptilline for the same reason you have-shoulder pain. I wasn't getting a sleep and after years of this discomfort/pain and lack of sleep, I eventually gave in to taking it. I do get a reasonable sleep now-apart from when kids wake me!
    Magenta x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your arthritis, but you're in good company here.
    Like Magenta I take amitriptyline 25ng at night which helps a lot. Both of my shoulders hurt in bed (washing hair and drying it etc!), so I have to keep turning over :( woe!
    Then the amitrip kicks in - thank goodness!
    I hope you soon get meds sorted so things feel more in control
    Take care
    Toni
  • mylo
    mylo Member Posts: 53
    mylo wrote:
    I've recently been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis and am having trouble sleeping, because of shoulder pain. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting comfortable please?
    Thanks for your replies and suggestions! Reassuring to know that you're all out there and understand how I'm feeling.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Mylo we do understand.
    Good news is there are lots of dif meds to try which might be perfect for you!
    Look forward to reading your posts in future
    :) Toni x
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Hi ,

I also have a memory foam mattress cost £ 45.00 and a memory pillow which my mum had just bought but never used , so my dad gave me it still in its box ( my mum died) with thease I have a lovely sleep .

Mike R & Hazel :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I also have a memory foam pillow and mattress topper. I had the pillow first, as I had just started having problems with my neck, and it was so good, I have a mattress topper. This helps my back and hips. When I first saw the pillow, I thought NO WAY it seemed so hard, but now after about 2 months I'd take it anywhere! Love Sue xx