Methotrexate

birdie2
birdie2 Member Posts: 6
edited 11. Jan 2009, 04:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. Has anyone suffered with side effects from Methotrexate? I have recently started the drug and am suffering with bouts of nausea (not physically, just the symptom) - these can last from a few minutes to several hours. Also no energy and tired. Have only taken a couple of doses so want to try and persevere - how long do these side-effects last??

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi, yes i really struggled but found a few things helped, mint tea did wanders to settle my tummy also having anti sickness tablets helps, if you get the acid indegestion type queaseyness as i did then simple indegestion tablets help, but i think mint was the best thing for me. i drank a cup of it when ever i felt sick or indegestiony!!!
    i hope this helps?!
    sue x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Lynn, I was on MXT tablets up to 20mg, the feelings of nausea, tiredness carried on until I was eventually put on injections, I don't get nausea at all now, still feel very tired occasionally but a big overall improvement. I am sure there will be other people along with different answers, there are alot of people on the forum on MXT love Jaspercatxxx
  • paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    Quite honestly, I was like a zombie while I was taking methotrexate. Nausea, light-headedness, exhaustion, confusion, fuzziness … I just wasn't functioning. My rheumatologist whipped me off the stuff sharpish.
  • doverliz
    doverliz Member Posts: 16
    I have only just been diagnosed with RA. I saw my consultant on Tuesday and he is going to put me on Methotrexate after Christmas. After I had read the information in a booklet he gave me I was a bit concerned about going on it and now I am really quite apprehensive. There must be someone out there with good news about it.........please :lol:
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi doverliz I am on mtx tablets and my nausea wears orf quite qucikly and I think it is helping but we are all differnt in how it works for us and in side affects what happens to one does not neccisarily happen to another so try not to be apprehensive and not to presuppose what will happen based on other exepreinces or alist of side effects there are lots on here who have positives to say about most meds so good luck with it have you a rheumy nurse you can talk to about any pre med fears. Chrisov
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    hi
    I'm on 25mg of mtx. started a year ago on 15mg. I felt awful but persevered. After a few weeks the nausea would lesson as I got used to dose. Then it would be increased and here we go again.

I now take sulfasalazine daily alongside the weekly mtx. Step too far for me and they gave me anti-nausea tablets daily. Makes a terrific difference.

There are times when you will question taking the drugs (my hair started thining but my folic acid was upped and its coming back). I had to take a break from the drugs when I had a high ALT (liver enzyme) count and felt gradually worse over 4 weeks so it proves it works.

It is scary when you read the info but you will be well monitored. HTH.

PS I walked in barefeet today for the 1st time in a year, couldnt have done it without the drugs :P
  • doverliz
    Thanks for your comments. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens when I start the tablets. I have only been to see the consultant once and I'm glad to say that he was very kind and listened (which is more than 2 GPs did!). I will have to put myself in his hands and be confident.
  • birdie2
    Thanks everyone for your comments as you do tend to think that you are the only one suffering. I do have an excellent rheumy and also GP so I will persevere for a while, or at least until I can't stand the side effects any longer!! Will definitely try the mint tea suggestion. Lynn
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi,

I'm on Mtx tablets and suffered bouts of vomitting everytime I increased the dose even with antimetics (anti- sickness drugs) - as soon as I stuck to a regular dose I got no side effects at all. It's working wonders for me and I wish I'd been on it years ago. :D

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • alison67
    alison67 Member Posts: 70
    doverliz wrote:
    I have only just been diagnosed with RA. I saw my consultant on Tuesday and he is going to put me on Methotrexate after Christmas. After I had read the information in a booklet he gave me I was a bit concerned about going on it and now I am really quite apprehensive. There must be someone out there with good news about it.........please :lol:

Hi Liz, i started on mtx in september this year, and i was very worried about taking this drug. However, after speaking to my nurse and getting loads of support on here, i took the plunge and started off on 5mg. I am now up to 15mg and have got to say that i am feeling so well! i did have some light headedness and nausea, and still do as my dose is increased, but weighing up the pros and cons, i will continue to take it as i was so unwell beforehand. So my advice to you would be to try the mtx as you will be well monitored. I wish you well and keep us posted. All the very best.x
  • birdie2
    alison67 wrote:
    doverliz wrote:

Hi Liz, i started on mtx in september this year, and i was very worried about taking this drug. However, after speaking to my nurse and getting loads of support on here, i took the plunge and started off on 5mg. I am now up to 15mg and have got to say that i am feeling so well! i did have some light headedness and nausea, and still do as my dose is increased, but weighing up the pros and cons, i will continue to take it as i was so unwell beforehand. So my advice to you would be to try the mtx as you will be well monitored. I wish you well and keep us posted. All the very best.x
    Hi Liz. I have Reiters Syndrome and I too started Mtx in Sept but had to come off after 6 doses because of nausea,and feeling of extreme tiredness and unwell. My rheumy wanted me to give it one more try. I have
    now gone back on it 3 weeks ago and, apart from the occasional bout of nausea - things aren't too bad. Try to stick with it as it definitely does work (I definitely felt better when I was on it-apart from the side effects). Best of luck. x
  • doverliz
    I thought I would let you know how things are going. I have been put on 7.5mgs of methotrexate and folic acid. The consultant has reduced the prednisolone from 10mgs a day to 5 and I'm still taking Arthrotec 50.

I took the first methotrexate on Sunday. So far, apart from a sudden bout of nausea on Tuesday which disappeared as quickly as it came, I have been OK. I think the problem lies with the reduction of the prednisolone. My aches and pains have returned (although I realise they were always there, just masked!). I also realise that it can be weeks before the methotrexate kicks in properly. I would never admit this to friends and family, because like the stupid long-suffering woman I am - I don't want them to feel sorry for me, but I do feel a bit low imagining that the pains will come back like they were before I was diagnosed. Hopefully they won't. Hubby is being very good. He realises that I'm not as well as I was over Christmas and New Year but doesn't make a big thing of it. He even did loads of housework yesterday while I was at work! As they say, every cloud has a silver lining :lol:

Right, I feel better now that I've written this. Thanks!

xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Liz,

Stick with it and give it time - remember Mtx can take months to work not just weeks although I was lucky and I felt benefits after six weeks and have been kept on a low dose of 10mg a week. You might find that your nausea increases as your dose gets larger but this usually settles down too.

Hang on in there girl and hopefully you'll feel some improvement very soon :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    I have been taking mtx for 8 years and am now on a dose of 10mg/week. I did have feelings of nausea in the early days and was advised to take it in the evening, which I do each Wednesday after the meal and take folic acid on a Sunday evening.
  • birdie2
    Hi Liz
    Stick with it - I have been back on it for 8 weeks now and it has been a roller-coaster of ups and down. Some days I can feel that it is working and then, like last night, the side-effects kick in and I wonder if I am doing the right thing. Then, this morning, I wake up and the side-effects have passed and I feel more positive again. For me the side-effects are nausea, tiredness and even feeling that the actual symptoms have returned. it is surely a weird drug !! Take care L x