Doctor problems.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 1. Dec 2008, 10:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
For 6 months now I have been trying to deal with significant osteoarthritis in both knee caps and the pain is has inflicted on me. I am having terrible trouble dealing with it and so in desperation today I visited my GP for help, bottom line is he told me it’s mostly in my mind!, has anyone else on here had a similar kind of response from a Doctor?, I’m really at my wits end with the pain and I really could do without this kind of a attitude, any suggestions would be very welcome. :(

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh no!
    Yes lots of us have felt like we were wimps or even putting it on at first.
    It isn't right, but it is true. My first visit he took BP and weighed me and said carry on.
    Next time I had to see dif GP and he was great - took one look and got the ball rolling!!Phew!!
    Don't give up - I would waita while then go back and at least ask for referal to pain clinic physio or something - pain is close on the worst thing that can happen to anyone
    Take care
    Toni x
  • mmarshall
    mmarshall Member Posts: 69
    I feel so sorry for you, what an awful way for your doctor to treat you.
    Do you have another doctor you could go to but if not then wait a short time and go back and see the doctor and tell him again how bad the pain is.
    The doctor has no way of knowing how much pain your are in so at least he should listen to you and not say that it is in your mind.
    You should just keep going back until he does something about the pain.
    Unfortunately other people on this site have had the same treatment as yourself and will have a lot of sympathy for you.
    Take Care
    Mary
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    I think a lot of us have found this. One Dr told me I had rheumatism and we all get aches and pains as we get older.
    If I was you I would visit the second Dr and just refuse appointments with the 1st.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    petmad wrote:
    I think a lot of us have found this. One Dr told me I had rheumatism and we all get aches and pains as we get older.
    If I was you I would visit the second Dr and just refuse appointments with the 1st.
    He sounds a really horrible person - I often feel like that and wonder if I'm imaganing the pain, but it must be so upsetting to be told such a stupid thing. I think, as above, that your best course of action is to see another GP at the same practice, if possible. Pain is a very real thing and the bodies way of letting us know something is wrong. I hope you find a good sympathetic gp, as soon as possible, its important, a good relationship makes a big difference. Sorry to go on, but its something I feel strongly about, I'll put the soap box away now :roll: Best wishes Sue xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I once had a very young phsiotherapist tell me that I could work through the arthritis pain of the exercise and push my joints into full range of movement :shock: No way Sunshine. :x :x

She, like your GP haven't got the pain so they have no idea what they're talking about. I'd like to see them cope as we do - then we'd see if it's mostly in the mind :x :roll:

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hi Mellman - Have you tried asking to see another doctor at the practice (if you can)? I think I must be pretty lucky mine has always been very supportive. Have heard so many stories of it going the other way though.
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hello,
    I agree with others on this one. See another Gp and if he/she can't help, ask to see another. Sorry to say but you need to keep searching for someone that will take you seriously. I don't know how OA can be all in the mind? It's taken me 23yrs (don't let that put you off!) but finally I have found a rhuematologist that actually wants to help me. That's cos I kept pushing at drs to get me appointments etc. In the end I went to A&E and got referred to an orthopaedic surgeon who then referred me on to a new rhuemy( my fourth!) Hope you get something sorted soon.
    Magenta x
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    I think it is only when the symptoms of osteo strike that you appreciate what a fickle condition it is. I have postponed seeing a doctor again, but the osteo in my right knee is getting worse. I think your unsympathetic doctor is more a statement of their own state of mind, and it is a shame. i was asked by the receptionist if it was urgent and I said no not really but I have arthritis in my knees. how quickly she made made an appointment to see someone at 4.30. !!!!
    I do suggest you find a doctor who you can get on with, or simply change practices and see someone else. after all, we have this freedom of choice.
    My fear now is what are the long term prospects for osteo arthritis ?????

magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    I agree with others on this one. See another Gp and if he/she can't help, ask to see another. Sorry to say but you need to keep searching for someone that will take you seriously. I don't know how OA can be all in the mind? It's taken me 23yrs (don't let that put you off!) but finally I have found a rhuematologist that actually wants to help me. That's cos I kept pushing at drs to get me appointments etc. In the end I went to A&E and got referred to an orthopaedic surgeon who then referred me on to a new rhuemy( my fourth!) Hope you get something sorted soon.
    Magenta x