advice please ?

charmaine
charmaine Member Posts: 9
edited 2. Dec 2008, 15:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
:( can anyone explain to me whats happening to my body?I have very severe pain in almost all my joints big or small for a couple of months. I feel weak and ill most of the time. Blood tests are normal.One shoulder repeatedly dislocates and my left elbow/wrist and hand swells and resolves. It can be extremely painful and immobile.
I have seen a rheumatologist and he has diagnosed osteoarthritis and prescribed NSAIDs (etoricoxib)and tramadolSR 100mg bd.He will see me again for x-rays in a few weeks.
But I just dont understand. I am just 51 and a year ago I was fit and well.And in that time I have become fairly constantly ill, in pain and disabled.
What I want to know is how can this have happened so rapidly, so painfully and in so many joints?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Charmaine and welcome.
    I don't know why so quick, so sudden, so many joints. I do know you have all my sympathy.
    For now you have to just bear with the powers that be. The diagnosis takes time.
    You will be feeling, like lots of us, so frightened and alone and confused and anxious and 100 other emotions too.
    What I will say is that you are on the right road to getting the answers - you have seen a rheumy (some don't even get that far - they get stopped at GP level), and been taken seriously. Hopefully those xrays will show something.
    Blood tests are not always postive - some types of inflamartory arthritis do not show up in them anyway.
    At the moment all you can do is take the tablets and try to be kind to yourself. Don't give up - stay strong and make sure you keep a note of all your symptoms to take to the rheumy with you when you next see him or her.
    Also we are all here to try to help with anything we can
    Take care Charmaine
    Toni x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    frogmorton wrote:
    I don't know why so quick, so sudden, so many joints. I do know you have all my sympathy.
    For now you have to just bear with the powers that be. The diagnosis takes time.
    You will be feeling, like lots of us, so frightened and alone and confused and anxious and 100 other emotions too.
    What I will say is that you are on the right road to getting the answers - you have seen a rheumy (some don't even get that far - they get stopped at GP level), and been taken seriously. Hopefully those xrays will show something.
    Blood tests are not always postive - some types of inflamartory arthritis do not show up in them anyway.
    At the moment all you can do is take the tablets and try to be kind to yourself. Don't give up - stay strong and make sure you keep a note of all your symptoms to take to the rheumy with you when you next see him or her.
    Take care Charmaine
    Toni x
    hi, i to have oa,mine came on very quickly too.i was doing a very demanding job & i choose to ignore the aches & pains as much as i could until..my neck seized up completely.it took 6wks of physio to remobilize it,& the pain quickly moved to all my joints.i have had to give up work,took 5 months to get refered to rhymy,now im at physio every 2 wks,to try & keep me mobile.back to rhymy in april,then 4 cat scan.im on morphine patches,30/500 cocodomol,ibuprofen,anti sickness tabs.im also suffering with sinisitis & a foot infection.dont think its related.i hope u fel better soon,as toni said ull get the advice & support here every1s great.good luck debs
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Charmaine, I can't really say much more than other's have, it does take a long time for a definite diagnosis, it took my gp 5 months to refer me to a Rheumy, but you are on the way now even though it probably dosen't feel like it, I hope you soon have your answers love Jaspercatxxx
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    charmaine wrote:
    :( can anyone explain to me whats happening to my body?I have very severe pain in almost all my joints big or small for a couple of months. I feel weak and ill most of the time. Blood tests are normal.One shoulder repeatedly dislocates and my left elbow/wrist and hand swells and resolves. It can be extremely painful and immobile.
    I have seen a rheumatologist and he has diagnosed osteoarthritis and prescribed NSAIDs (etoricoxib)and tramadolSR 100mg bd.He will see me again for x-rays in a few weeks.
    But I just dont understand. I am just 51 and a year ago I was fit and well.And in that time I have become fairly constantly ill, in pain and disabled.
    What I want to know is how can this have happened so rapidly, so painfully and in so many joints?

Hi,

This is similiar to how it started with me, basically short bursts of inflammation in a variety of joints. By the time I got to the rheumy for a while everything was gone at the time of the appointment. It is important that the GP or Rheumy see it when it's going on. I am really big on diet etc. after all these years but never turn down a good shot of steroids, occassionally when in trouble. Like you I was in excellent physical shape when it all started.

Good luck.
    Jimmy
  • charmaine
    frogmorton wrote:
    Take care Charmaine
    Toni
    Hi Toni, Your kind words made my cry with relief, thank you.Yes I feel so many emotions including a huge sense of loss.Why should any Dr give me stronger pain relief when there isnt always much to see ? The rheumy was so dogmatic " U have OA" but Im not sure he's right. I feel permanantly fluey/ systemically ill with loss of appetite - Ive lost a stone in 3 weeks.Can I challenge the diagnosis ? If so, how?
  • charmaine
    mash65 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Take care Charmaine
    Toni x
    hi, i to have oa,mine came on very quickly too.i was doing a very demanding job & i choose to ignore the aches & pains as much as i could until..my neck seized up completely.it took 6wks of physio to remobilize it,& the pain quickly moved to all my joints.i have had to give up work,took 5 months to get refered to rhymy,now im at physio every 2 wks,to try & keep me mobile.back to rhymy in april,then 4 cat scan.im on morphine patches,30/500 cocodomol,ibuprofen,anti sickness tabs.im also suffering with sinisitis & a foot infection.dont think its related.i hope u fel better soon,as toni said ull get the advice & support here every1s great.good luck debs
    hi Debs, nice to meet you.
    So pain relief even goes up to morphine patches for OA does it ?Ive only experienced severe pain once before and that was childbirth !The pain I have is differrent to that of course but incredibly debilitating _ I feel so ill too. It takes hours to get up in the morning and I cant get to work before lunch. Then I can only do about 4 hours and then Im shattered.My big muscles throb and no Dr has asked about that . Shall I mention that to them ?
  • charmaine
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi Charmaine, I can't really say much more than other's have, it does take a long time for a definite diagnosis, it took my gp 5 months to refer me to a Rheumy, but you are on the way now even though it probably dosen't feel like it, I hope you soon have your answers love Jaspercatxxx
    Thanks Jaspercat, Keep in touch, love Chamaine
  • charmaine
    jimmy77 wrote:
    charmaine wrote:

Hi,

This is similiar to how it started with me, basically short bursts of inflammation in a variety of joints. By the time I got to the rheumy for a while everything was gone at the time of the appointment. It is important that the GP or Rheumy see it when it's going on. I am really big on diet etc. after all these years but never turn down a good shot of steroids, occassionally when in trouble. Like you I was in excellent physical shape when it all started.

Good luck.
    Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
    I have never had steroids. Can I ask for them in the absence of positive blood inflammatory markers ?
    Thanks
    Charmaine
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    charmaine wrote:
    jimmy77 wrote:
    charmaine wrote:

Hi,

Good luck.
    Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
    I have never had steroids. Can I ask for them in the absence of positive blood inflammatory markers ?
    Thanks
    Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,

Absolutely........It's the only thing that works for me. All the pain killers just don't do the job. It's the inflammation that needs to be elliminated and then the pain goes away. Steroids work the best for me and quick either in pill or injection form. Those blood tests change and are many time s in-conclusive when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck
    jimmy
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    jimmy77 wrote:
    charmaine wrote:
    jimmy77 wrote:

Hi,

Good luck.
    Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
    Thanks
    Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,

Absolutely........It's the only thing that works for me. All the pain killers just don't do the job. It's the inflammation that needs to be elliminated and then the pain goes away. Steroids work the best for me and quick either in pill or injection form. Those blood tests change and are many time s in-conclusive when it comes to this stuff.

Good luck
    jimmy
    hi Charmaine, there r stronger meds than morphine,but cant remember there names.im on 15microgram per hr,released into blood stream over 7days.i cant go any higher as i suffer terrible sickness with them & have to take antisickness tabs.20 was working but i was so sick i was confined to bed with a bucket.it will take time to find the right pain relief thats suits u,were all different.iv not got there yet,but a little pain relief is better than none at all..hope you get sorted out soon,the advice & support on this forum is great.iv only been here since aug,& every1s been great. all the best,debs
  • suepollard
    suepollard Member Posts: 28
    Hi Charmaine,
    I am new to the forum myself and have just read your posting. I too was finding it difficult to get out of bed for approx a year, put it down to getting older(age 47) until one day I litterally could not get out of bed at all, it took me at least 45 mins, the pain eased off after an hour or so but it was at that point I thought something was not quite right. I finally saw a rheumy last week who said that it was osteoarthritis and nothing else, I asked for a MRI scan, he said nothing would show up on one of those scans, which I know was not true, he said you have osteoarthritis, heres a booklet and go home and read it, you are discharged from now, gee I couldnt believe it, yet he asked me if I had dry eyes and mouth, I said that I had but he said the two were not connected. I didnt feel satisfied and therefore went back to the gp and insisted I saw another person, unfortunately I had to go private to see the doc, but it was worth it just for him to listen to me, he actually said that I needed an MRI scan, I didnt bring the subject up, I feel I have the right doc to sort everything out. I think its important to insist to see the person of your choice regardless of what gps think.I sympathise with your symptoms, as it was only just 6 months ago I was at the gym, and now im about to join an excercise class for the less abled, i think its a hard thing to come to terms with, but try to keep positive even if you sometimes dont feel like it, there is help out there, its a matter of persevering, take care, love sue xxx
  • tweedie
    tweedie Member Posts: 70
    charmaine wrote:

Hi Charmaine,
    I have OA and frequently feel like you but mine was different to yours in that I thought for years that everyone hurt and ached like we do all the time I thought pain was 'normal' increasingly I found my joints were more painful and make all sorts of noises then would give terrible pain so told gps also when I feel really well - I could beat the world at anything - feel on top of things
    bang then within a few hours I have a flare up , I not only have OA but I have RA my bloods are often negative , but arthritis is a nasty thing , it creeps about your body attacking not only your joints but all of you , your eyes , your mouth , your tendons , I think it can attack anything , not to mention what the drugs we need do to us !!! ---- because you are greaving for your 'lost' health it is making your arthritis worse , things will get better , I promise , your rhumy should listen to you - I used to think mine was going through the motions , but went a few months ago and he said 'You look the worse I have ever seen you , REST you are ill , ' then he altered my medication and I do feel a bit better-- there was I thinking he never noticed me really. We all have to learn that arthritis is part of our life , there is life after diagnosis, I cried for years -- it does no good , all it does is give you a red nose -- my rule is only cry in the shower then you don't upset those around you - I admit I still cry when I fall - I hate being helpless , but mostly I try to laugh at the many problems that we get -- as to your question Why has it happened -- such is life !!! we won't die from it ( We might from the drugs we take) --- Why us ? why not ? who said life was fair ? my advice is talk to us on here -- we understand what you are going through , we share the same inner anger with what happens to us and we find ways to laugh at the beast that is ARTHRITIS.
    Creakingly Yours
    Love
    Joanna
    xx :)