age discrimination re ; blue badge

wenders
wenders Member Posts: 3
edited 8. Dec 2008, 07:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
h i all just had to post this incident that happened to myself and oh.At my local morrisons this morning for some shopping after parking oh put up my blue badge on the dashboard as usual as parked in disabled space.While getting out of car we both noticed elderly couple looking at dashboard to check for blue badge and shaking their heads and muttering.As we passed them my oh said my wifes blue badge is on the dashboard if you want to have a look at it the elderly man turned round and replied ANYONE CAN GET A BLUE BADGE. my oh turned back to him and asked him what he said and he said it again my oh replied have you got a phd in medicine or xray vision and see my wifes bbones in her feet are perforated and causing he r great pain at this the mans wife told him to be quiet and get in car.i was really upset at this total ignorance that seems to say that younhave to be an oap to get ablue badge.I am only 39 and dont like to be classes as disabled .They dont see the mounds of medication and injections i take on a daily basis just to function as normally as possible.Ihave ra and all my joints hurt constantly even on pain relief some people can just be so ignorant. sorry to moan but this really got me down

Comments

• petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry you had such a bad experience. I must admit I look at cars in the Disabled parking, but this is to check that the vehicle does have a blue badge. I would never however, dream of making comments to anyone who does have a badge.
  • daimler
    daimler Member Posts: 68
    OLD CODGERS, really get on my tits, just because we don't walk like john cleese, half of em shouldn't be on the road.
    jacqxx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    This really hacks me off!
    I've had quite a few experiences like that, the latest one was the security guard where I work. He told me that I didn't look disabled so shouldn't have a BB! And I work at a hospital!!! Have since reported him and have told them he needs more training, I mean where are you more likely to see disabled people of all ages??
    I'm 25 and have had a BB since I learnt to drive at 17 and I tend to find the worse offenders are the older generation (sorry). One lady even waited to see what I'd look like when I got out of the car! Once I even had my friend in the car, she's the same age as me and has muscular dystrophy and a BB too! We still get comments, muttering and shakes of the head.
    I'd like to give some of them a smack but it would hurt my hands more than it would hurt them!
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    wenders wrote:
    ANYONE CAN GET A BLUE BADGE.

If it was so easy to get a Blue Badge then he would have had one and couldn't complain. :lol:

Remember that some people are just professional complainers because they need to get a life. :x

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hi I've read about incidents like this on another board - someone replied that the actions of the aggressor were actually a verbal assult (ie criminal). Don't know if I'd take it that far; but it hacks me off too. My own incident happend at Tesco as I parked up a child said 'bet she hasn't got a BB' great delight in flourishing it!!
    One more thing though, I don't think it depends on age - for the record I'm 48. I think reff's to 'old coggers' etc are just as bad as the people who have air medical degrees..... :lol:
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Like many I have suffered this sort of abuse for years and now don't use my bb. My hubby gets annoyed with me but some days it's hard enough just getting to the shops without putting up with the s**t people think they have the right to give you.

Love Kate x
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    daimler,
    It makes me sad to read the ‘Old Codgers’ slant, and to think that you probably would include me in their ranks; it supports my belief that I have not retired but joined the ranks of the unwanted. We are not ALL like that, belive me.
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi not all old peeps are like it just some like all things in life a nosey minority Once i went to Northamapton for a footie match and parked in blue badge parking, A secuirty guard ran over and said you cant aprk there it is for disabled I ignored him then showed him my handsome face beaming on my badge that shut him up althou he went away muttering, tell them to contact DLA or council issuers if they have a prob and ignore very diff to do some get badges and concessuons for not obvious things like epilepsy and hard of hearing so they should not assume
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    I've been thinking about this post and I think what hacks me off even more than people being abusive and ignorant towards people who have and need a BB are people who park in disabled bays when they don't have a badge and are perfectly healthy. When they are just 'popping' to the shops but I can no longer 'pop' anywhere. And I think age doesn't come into it. People can be unscrupulous (sp) and ignorant at any age but I think (and hope) there are more decent people around who would rather help than hinder people who need BB's.
    I would also like to say that when I've been struggling with my wheelchair over rough ground or steep slopes there have been plenty of people who have offered to help me.
    Hope everyone has a good day even though its a bit nippy!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I have been saying for ages that the elderly seem to think that they own disabled parking spaces, my apologies if there is anyone elderly here, I was once questioned by man who said my blue badge wasn't legal, he said I was too young to have one, he even sent a council employee to check my page, I was incensed I made the council bloke check my badge, even though he said it was not neccessary.

He said "try not to get upset madam", told him I was angry not upset, I don't want the blue badge I need it grrrr!!! love Jaspercatxxx
  • annalisa
    annalisa Member Posts: 21
    i also get annoyed when i see people with blue badges jump out of their cars and seem to have no problems getting about i was refused a blue badge have crinic arthritis 2 hips replaced also knees some days cant get out of bed but because i could walk a little way am not deemed bad enough i know most people are genuine cases but there are many who dont deserve them annalisa
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    i hate to admit this but my step dad is one of those people who think only the elderly have a blue badge.he has one as he had 0A in his knee.obviously he knows i hav PA and the effects it has on me,but its like talking to a brick wall.i say to him you just dont know whats wrong with people just by looking at them.they could have heart problems.lung problems no matter what age.i do try and get through to him.he takes me shopping every week and we cant get in the disabled bays very often.i wont give up i will keep trying to make him see how wrong he is.
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    We once had police cars parking in blue badge bays outside central cop shop that caused an outcry there excuse it was an emergency did not wash but if those in authority do it and think threy can get away with it mentality is wrong peeps should be made to look at criteria for blue bage not all so called society labelled disabilty is evident and to be seen in people
  • jennywren
    jennywren Bots Posts: 79
    Live and let live
  • elvislover
    elvislover Member Posts: 6
    been there got the t-shirt ' had RA since i was 15 so by the time i was 18 i applyed for a blue badge i could not walk without pain and could not carry shopping . i had one old guy come up to my window screen and check my badge as i was sat in my car ' how rude!!!!!!!!!!. i opened my window and asked if i could help him . no he said and wondered off . and yet i was parked next to a shopping centre and 7 indian ladies got out of a mini bus with several children and not one of them looked disabled . But because i was young i was checked out by the old guy '
    sad really because disability can strike you at any age and there's nothing you can do about it
    so i say come on you oldies give us a break your not disabled because your old . thats life . your disabled because you have an ilness that affects your joints no matter if your young or old the affects are the same . pain and stiffness. i don't bother now who looks at me ' i have had two knee replacements and my feet are crap so i don't walk well. but i deserve my blue badge and i would never abuse it .So come on and give us a break !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    From the item on the News last night it looks as though a 'crack-down' has been launched on mis-use .... and not before time.

I think younger disabled people are suffering the consequences of what their peers do when it's raining or they can't be bothered walking, and you must agree a lot of them DO. Don't be too hard on the oldies. Your lack of understanding of how they get sidelined, denied treatment and generally undervalued (you truly won't know until you get to that age), after a lifetime of hard work and scrimping .... the war, you know ..... is equal to their not understanding that arthritis can strike anyone at any age. It USED to be an old folks ailment!

BUT .... I do think these people should apologise when they find they are wrong!

Unfortunately, I have to spend more time than I would like in the 'oldies' environment and I can tell you of some horrendous goings on.

Jeannie
  • bettieboop22
    bettieboop22 Member Posts: 9
    if anyone ever says to me that I look fine and it doesn't look like I need a BB I say "well you don't look like an a**h*le but appearance are obviously deceptive" .....harsh I know but I've got enough to deal with trying to cope with severe RA and bringing up children on my own without the ignorance of people who should just get a life! After all, we all know it's not easy to get a BB in the first place!!
    Keep your chin up peeps :D:D
  • mrsdalloway2nd
    mrsdalloway2nd Member Posts: 13
    Hi Wenders I can totally relate to your post as I posted one similar a few months ago. I am 37 and have been diagnosed 13 years and only had BB for last 4 as it took me a while to come to terms with the fact that it would make my life easier. However, totally understand the upset I have actually refused to get out of the car before now as I have had old people waiting to watch me get out. As I am paranoid enough about the way I have to fling myself literally out of the car and then hobble off this does not help. Also infuriates my o/h who I have to stop from verbally abusing these nosey people. Just one more thing we have to put up with x
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Yes, I must admit I don't display my BB and do not use parking spaces meant for their use, silly really but then I would have to admit to myself that I need to. Just seems a way to keep going and not give in to pain.

I suppose I do get more exercise having a longer walk? Why can I write on this forum but not tell friends whats wrong?

Funny things aren't we?

M 8)