ra and breastfeeding link?? pls help- i never prod milk??

kezzo1
kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
Breastfeeding could reduce rheumatoid arthritis (RA) risks, a new study has shown.

Researchers from Malmo University Hospital in Sweden published their findings in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.

The trial involved 136 women with RA and 544 women of a similar age without the disease.

It was discovered that those who breastfed for the longest were much less likely to suffer from RA later in life.

In fact, women who breastfed for more than 13 months were around 50 per cent less likely to get rheumatoid arthritis when compared to those who had never breastfed their children. People who breastfed for less than one year were still 25 per cent less likely to suffer from RA.

The report added that simply having a baby, but not breastfeeding, did not seem to reduce the risk of RA.

They pointed out that the research provided another reason for women to breastfeed their offspring.

Professor Alan Silman, medical director of the Arthritis Research Campaign, said the new research was extremely interesting, particularly as previous work had shown quite different results.

"In the past we have shown that breast feeding was a risk factor for developing rheumatoid arthritis in a small group of women soon after giving birth to their first child.

"This is slightly different in that it is looks at longer-term risk. One explanation could be that women who breastfeed may lead healthier lifestyles than women who don't, but we don't know the mechanisms that would explain this fully, and not enough work as been done in this area."

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Kezzo,

That was an interesting article that you've posted, it is however only a study so shouldn't be taken as gospel. There is currently on-going research into breastfeeding and it's particular effects on the immune system, so it may well be that there are other diseases as well as RA which have have a lower instance in women who breastfeed.

Having read your post on the living with arthritis forum I think you may be a bit premature in assuming a link between not breastfeeding and the onset of RA. This study is quite different to previous findings as prof Alan Stillman said in the article

"In the past we have shown that breast feeding was a risk factor for developing rheumatoid arthritis in a small group of women soon after giving birth to their first child. ''

So as you can see it's not a good idea to read too much into studies as they may contradict one another.

I wonder if you'd like to talk over this at all, you are always welcome to ring us at Helplines if you like.

All the best
    Paul
  • kezzo1
    PAUL,
    maybe so i was simply trying to hi light the fact that maybe more research needs to be done and i was only putting a thread out to see if any other women had siilar things occur. i know everyones experiances may differ after all though isnt that what this forum is for discussing topics of interest?!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hey Kezzo
    Please don't get riled with us - we are just trying to help. :( When you post onto the Chat to Helplines forum rather than other places we take your question very seriously and then we try to answer as best we can. from our experience and also from the vast amounts of information we have here. We actually agree that more research should be done and more money put into that. More debate and opinions are needed and that is very very welcome.
    Would you like us to get someone to see if we can get hold of the other research thats referred to in your article ?
    If so - post us a private message with your contact details and we will try to find the summary of it for you.
    Take care - its cold and wet today
    Penn
  • kezzo1
    im not being funny with u guys! lol :lol: