disability discrimination

oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
I was offered a job. I told them all my medical history BEFORE the interview and was offered one even after speaking to their occupational health. Now the place I will actually work at said they didnt know about my health probs. or werent told by their HR dept of my disabilities and cannot provide the reasonable adjustments i have in my current job.
I am not happy - an understatement and have been discriminated against.
I am thinking of taking action but what does anyone suggest i do?
p.s. they have the ticks on their job adverts that theyre disability friendly etc!!!!!!!!!!what a joke! :(

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    oneday wrote:
    I was offered a job. I told them all my medical history BEFORE the interview and was offered one even after speaking to their occupational health. Now the place I will actually work at said they didnt know about my health probs. or werent told by their HR dept of my disabilities and cannot provide the reasonable adjustments i have in my current job.
    I am not happy - an understatement and have been discriminated against.
    I am thinking of taking action but what does anyone suggest i do?
    p.s. they have the ticks on their job adverts that theyre disability friendly etc!!!!!!!!!!what a joke! :(

Is there a way you can move things forward by going back to the interveiwer for instance?
    This is terrible and NOT what you need at all :(
    Don't give up yet.
    Also maybe the disability friendly logo could lead you somewhere to find out exactlt what that means and whether or not they should even have the logo!
    Don't risk losing your job tho!!
    Hope it can be resolved
    Toni xx
  • oneday
    Thanks girls...........um.........am thinking of options........obviously i still have my current job but bit fed up so starting looking for others. So, please application form was okay that i got interview and so pleased interview went well as offered job. Then pleased their occupational health said i was fit to work.......but this!!!
    I am thinking of contacting union, am thinking about contacting disability rights commissin, am thinking about going back to HR dept and saying its disgraceful and am looking into this (to rattle their cages!!).
    There again who would want to work for an organisation that treats people with disabilities like this. Is the grass greener on the other side? So fed up/stressed at current place desperate to leave but seems could be worst. Feel like wishing my life away till i retire and can escape this rat race....but thats no way to be........also thinking about reducing hours more where i am cos cant stand the place.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Thats rubbish!
    I would definately go to citizens advice! They could talk to your HR and tell them to pull their finger out.

Hope you are ok.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I agree that this is appalling and wronng and they should be brought to task over it, BUT, if they gave you the job now would you really want it? They do not seem like good employers. Also, the current situation with high unemployment likely, you do have a job at the moment, even if it is'nt what you want, maybe it would be best for you to carry on looking for another job, whilst cutting down your hours. You never know, a better job may be just around the corner, or if you're working less hours you may find you enjoy your current job more. This sounds negative, reading it back, but as things in the employment field are not easy at the moment, it may be an worth considering. I think it is really horrible what they have put you through and I can understand the hurt and upset you must feel, and I may well be wrong, its just something I feel maybe worth consdering. Love and very best wishes for the future Sue xxx
  • oneday
    woodbon wrote:
    I agree that this is appalling and wronng and they should be brought to task over it, BUT, if they gave you the job now would you really want it? They do not seem like good employers. Also, the current situation with high unemployment likely, you do have a job at the moment, even if it is'nt what you want, maybe it would be best for you to carry on looking for another job, whilst cutting down your hours. You never know, a better job may be just around the corner, or if you're working less hours you may find you enjoy your current job more. This sounds negative, reading it back, but as things in the employment field are not easy at the moment, it may be an worth considering. I think it is really horrible what they have put you through and I can understand the hurt and upset you must feel, and I may well be wrong, its just something I feel maybe worth consdering. Love and very best wishes for the future Sue xxx

Hi Sue
    Its nice to get different opinions on this site and see things from different angles etc.

Thank you everyone whos replied as well of course. Infact you guys (girls) know where am i coming from etc. we are all in similiar situations as some may not understand.

So, back to Sue, I have been toying with the idea of reducing my hours (again!) mainlyl to spend as little time as possible there!!
    Yes, i was thinking they dont sound too good myself.....infact..they did mention if off sick in relation to disability then said about warnings etc over sick...and ithought thats all i need in my life..something else like loosing job etc!! suppose its meant to be. Ijust wish my current situation wasnt as bad but suppose compared to other things the grass may not be greener on the other side.

grrrrr!!!!!!!!!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Glad you are being positive now, you never know, your a better job may come along any time. The other job is their lose not yours. Have you talked to a Department of Employment Advisor? I have and she gave me some ideas and was very helpful. The numbers on the Jobcentreplus web site. Good luckl. :o:o

I'm in a similar boat except that I love my job but its probibly too heavy for me now. I'm going through occy health at work and hoping that something can be worked out. (Redeployment may be) Love Sue
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    ring ACAS on 0845 747 4747 and DRC on 0845 7622633 they will both offer you free legal advice. Think you need to raise a grieveance against the person who refused you the adjustments. they broke the following section "Suffered a detriment, discrimination and/or dismissal on grounds of disability or failure of employer to make reasonable adjustments" You then wait 28 days for their reply. If they fail to reply or you are not happy with the reply, you then start a claim with the employemnt tribunal http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/FormsGuidance/makingAClaim.htm - all is free of charge and most companies settle out of court, but will try bullying you first with their lawers. Check if your household insurance includes legal cover, if it does they will make the claim for you. If not send the claim and stay strong. I did and won compensation
  • oneday
    Hi all
    i did contact disability rights comms, but action can only be taken once in their employ. so i dont want to go, find out they wont provide equipment then have to go down route of legal action and not have a job. so staying put at miserable place am at now.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi, sorry you have found yourself in this situation. Is this a big company? Under DDA rules they must make the necessary adjustments to help you to do your job unless they are a small company and it would put them at a loss. Then they could argue they cannot be made but this would be for someone who knows more about them, CAB for instance could help. I work for the Government and I read 3 weeks ago in the paper someone from my work took them to an employment tribunal for failing to make reasonable adjustments. They won and got compo too. He is still working in our building. (I'm on Mat leave) Going in tomorrow to do some paperwork & if they don't get me an appointment with the work's Dr before I go back proper, I won't be going in as I will not have been diagnosed as to what adjustments need to be made. If you google DDA you will find loads of info to help you.
  • oneday
    Hi, sorry you have found yourself in this situation. Is this a big company? Under DDA rules they must make the necessary adjustments to help you to do your job unless they are a small company and it would put them at a loss. Then they could argue they cannot be made but this would be for someone who knows more about them, CAB for instance could help. I work for the Government and I read 3 weeks ago in the paper someone from my work took them to an employment tribunal for failing to make reasonable adjustments. They won and got compo too. He is still working in our building. (I'm on Mat leave) Going in tomorrow to do some paperwork & if they don't get me an appointment with the work's Dr before I go back proper, I won't be going in as I will not have been diagnosed as to what adjustments need to be made. If you google DDA you will find loads of info to help you.

Hi
    sent you a personal reply.
    hope tomorrow goes okay at work