Arthritis in knees.

rich127
rich127 Member Posts: 3
edited 30. Dec 2008, 16:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am new to this and only just found this website but I am fed up of constantly being turned down for the appropriate benefits because the DWP say that I am fit and healthy for work when I can hardly even get out of bed and I can't sit down in comfort either. Can somebody please help me with any advice on how to go about things, please :(

Comments

• mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Rich, You can find lots of info on the site re this.
    Have you talked it over with your GP/Rheumy, would they support any claim do you think? You need to explain how arthritis is affecting your life and the difficulties caused to you. Also I think there is a time limit, it has to have been an issue for 3 months before the claim (I'm sure someone can put me right on that one)..someone who can answer this better than me will be along soon...but it puts you back up the page.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    hi,weve all been there,& some r still trying for certain benefits.if u post as to which benefits uv got problems with,i.e incap,income support,dla.many will answer & try to help.will help as much as i can.iv just been down that road,& all the stress.but still fighting for dla.good luck debs
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Rich and welcome to the Forum,

Have you ever tried appealing when you've been turned down? If we can't help you there's always Citzen's Advice Bureau, you could make an appointment with them to talk over your difficulties.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mrsdalloway2nd
    mrsdalloway2nd Member Posts: 13
    Hi Rich ask around at GP's or rheumy clinic to see whether there is a carer centre near you. We have a carer centre and they are fantastic and can help you fill in the forms the right way. What I found was that because of pride and denial I was underestimating the extent of my illness. They ask you the questions on the form but translate them into English! and they write your answers down in DWP speak. But be warned it is quite a lengthy process and quite depressing to hear everything your can't do anymore read back to you! Hope this helps.
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    rich127 wrote:
    I am new to this and only just found this website but I am fed up of constantly being turned down for the appropriate benefits because the DWP say that I am fit and healthy for work when I can hardly even get out of bed and I can't sit down in comfort either. Can somebody please help me with any advice on how to go about things, please :(
    please go to welfare rights you will find there adress in library they will even fill in your forms for you if you get rejected they will fight your case pleas try them pauline :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • rich127
    rich127 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your help and advice. I will take it all under wing and keep fighting but I did not know of certain places I have been advised to go to so again, thank you. :):):):) [/i]
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Please do take the advicew to go to Welfare Rights, I am a qualified social worker but would not dream of representing myself regards appeals etc. You need everyone you can get on your side.