Pensioned off?

fishyface
fishyface Member Posts: 22
Been off work for over six months now and I am deemed unfit to return to my former occupation. My employer will attempt to help find me another job in Company but chances/opportunities are slim.

If I don't get a job within Company in 3 months they will terminate my contract, gulp 22 years. Could mean leaving without anything or perhaps get a pension even short term.

Anyone know how bad you have to be to fit Company Pension schemes? It's like the Official Secrets Act trying to get info out of them.

Really worried about what next for me and quite sad. Suppose what will b will be but it does'nt pay the bills eh?

Comments

• slummymummy
    slummymummy Member Posts: 69
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi fishyface,

Sorry to hear that news. I hope that you are coping with it OK. Are you sure they wouldn't give you a bit more time to see if things get more under control?

Hoping things come together for you for 2009,

Slummy
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    I managed to get Pensioned off about 8-9 years ago but hated it and returned to work 2 years later. Good thing is though I still get my pension as I am still not able to rturn to my orignal job role. I used to work in Retail Management but now can only cope with office work. With the pension and DLA i can accept lower paid work
  • sunshine14
    sunshine14 Member Posts: 38
    Really sorry to hear this. I hope you go on okay.
    I was off for about 2 months in Jan 08 and then I went off at the end of Sept and have been off sick since. Everytime I plan to get back I'm unable. Work are wanting me to see their own Dr soon and I'm worried that if I'm unwell on the day I'll be seen as unfit for work too. I feel for you, I'm a little older than you at the young age of 31 :lol: . I'm on my own with my daughter and am hoping that when I see the Rheumy on 26th I'll know more. Hope everything goes okay.
  • fishyface
    I'm hoping to work at some time, somewhere.my employer of 22 years are cutting back soooo much there's no hope of redeployment. i'm hoping to get pension rather than a straight forward termination of employment.
  • kath131
    kath131 Member Posts: 2
    fishyface wrote:
    I'm hoping to work at some time, somewhere.my employer of 22 years are cutting back soooo much there's no hope of redeployment. i'm hoping to get pension rather than a straight forward termination of employment.

Hi Fishy, am typing on behalf of my husband cos he can't type! Not through his RA just can't type. Anyway, we are in the same situation as yourself he has been off with RA for 12 months they now say he could be fit for work in the future, that was the company doctor. An independent doctor who did his medical this week says rubbish he will never be fit for work. He has been with Lancs CC for 12 years and they are saying he will not get layed off under ill health were he would get 20 years pay out and a small pension, cos they are tightening their belts like all companies. So we are now waiting for a panel hearing end of January to decide, we also are struggling to pay bills as their is only me working and my wages only just cover our living costs!!! Appreciate if you let us know how you get on please. Regards Kath & Maurice Lancashire. :(
  • fishyface
    I'm so confused Union say stay off. Co say go back. Health still unbalanced. Tempted to go back as will be on payroll. Union say stick it out. Thing is terms of pensiopn encourage you to work. To get it you must be unfit for forseeable future. tad confusing. Terribly stressful eh. Best of luck to you. It fels like everyone has got different answers and not telling complete truth. Best of luck to you do you have a Union?
  • kath131
    kath131 Member Posts: 2
    fishyface wrote:
    I'm so confused Union say stay off. Co say go back. Health still unbalanced. Tempted to go back as will be on payroll. Union say stick it out. Thing is terms of pensiopn encourage you to work. To get it you must be unfit for forseeable future. tad confusing. Terribly stressful eh. Best of luck to you. It fels like everyone has got different answers and not telling complete truth. Best of luck to you do you have a Union?

Thanks for your reply the union are involved and the area rep is attending the panel hearing so fingers crossed.

regards Kath & Maurice :roll:
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi I have been off for 7 months now and due to OA worsening and surgery looming don`t expect to get back before my 12 months is up. My line manager says they need me back, but I haven`t heard of anyone who has been off for 12 months without being finished on ill health. But I`m only 40, so not quite pensionable age yet!! My occ health are less than useless, they saw me at my request in oct and said they would contact me again in 6 weeks, I have heard nothing! I am worried from a financial point of view, and for my future at work. I know I can`t manage at work as I am, but hopefully after my THR I will be able to do my job, even if on reduced hours. It is a very uncertain time, when I feel I am not in control of my life. :(
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Hi fishface and nearlybionic, I am in a similar situation, I have been off since November 2007, I attend absence monitoring at regular intervals. Next will be this week. I am 53 and have OA, need disc and bone spur remover. They have been OK thus far but I am well over the 12 month time scale so wonder if they will look towards a package.
    Though I am going along the union line, I don't think I will cope with full time. The job centre telephoned me to 'inform' that if I do go back part time I will retain my DLA so looking at it that way I may be financially much better off than I am now, this is important as I am single and am struggling to make ends meet. Linda
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    I'm amazed at this, it's an outrage. The Union are right though, stick it out, possibly even speak to ACAS. I know if I was in your position and got told that I'd be talking tribunals to them. I don't actually think you've been off long enough for them to start talking this way. Have they really done went out of their way to get you back to work or allow you proper time to recover? Make sure these people know you are active with the Union about it and read up on the DDA. Many people are frightened to go in with this attitude but no employer wants to be accused of Discrimination and that's what it sounds like to me.