New Staff Car parking at place of work

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
Hiya,
I'm angry and getting really stressed about what's happening at my place of work (nhs). Cut a very long story short, they are introducing a new 4hr time limit on parking spaces for visitors/patients. Staff permit holders can park for free in a designated permit spot. Other staff, which runs into hundreds, can park in non-permit holder spaces which will be limited. I have to take my car as my health is so bad now (problems with lower back and hips) . I can't travel the distance to my work on public transport, with my little boy who goes to a nursery based at my work. I won't get a space cos I start at 9am and there are nurses/porters etc that start their shifts earlier. I'm anxious because I'm basically going to end up being forced to get public transport which in turn is going to make my arthritis worse which will lead to me being off sick-again and again! I feel the introduction of the new parking zones will eventually force me out of my job. They're supposed to be a disabled friendly employer :?
Magenta

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't work for the nhs, and I live in England, but the rules at our local hospital are quite hard. Staff park by permit only, but they have to go into a lottery for that permit and I think they also need to live away from public transport. Other staff can pay, but after, I think 4 hours, it is very, very expensive. I'm not sure if they have a special scheme for staff who have badges, but I'd be surprised as the hospital has a 'park and ride scheme' which takes wheel chair users, ( the bus is quite clever, and I saw it use for the first time a while back). But I know, I would find it hard, as I live about 12 miles away and way off any bus route and the park and ride is even further away. I turned down an nhs job before I had oa problems because of the transport, so I feel very sorry for you. Can you find out if their are others in your position and protest? The NHS could lose a lot of valuable staff, or have people at work who are tired before they start, if they don't do something. Also, more immportantly, it is a form of discrimination. Also, what about patients who have to spend longer than 5 hours at hospital. I have done in the past. No help but loads & loads of sympathy. :roll: :x
  • magenta
    Hiya Sue,
    Hope you had a nice Christmas and everything is well with you :wink:
    The people that have made the rules have thought about everything! Patients and visitors having to stay longer than 4hrs will be exempt from parking tickets. It's the staff that are going to be badly affected. Some staff get permits if they have to work off-site or go to meetings-it's amazing how many senior staff in my department have 'suddenly' been told they have to go to meetings elsewhere-they basically lied to get permits. I do think also that it's a form of discrimination and when I go back to work tomorrow ( been off for hols) I will mention this. I know alot of people will be unhappy but we've already complained about initial parking rules and that led to Nicola Sturgeon abolishing parking fees at hospitals-that's why this new rule has been brought in. I don't know what to do and the stress is making me ill.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Magenta x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    hi,sorry to hear of ur troubles (as if u need anymore ) r u not entitled to blue badge. only a suggestion,good luck. debs
  • magenta
    Hi Debs,
    I've only looked that up today, doesn't look like arthritis alone qualifies you-could be wrong though! I think I'll apply but would probably have to have an assesment done. I think if you have serious probs with upper limbs you can get one immediately. I think I would have to prove that the walking was causing me problems/pain. I'll give it a go cos otherwise I'm stuffed!
    Magenta x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    i'm trying for 1.ringing county hall after new yr.i have a friend,she's got it (chrones disease) because she needs to park up for toilet. i think its high rate dla automatic entitlement,need medical assessment if not got dla.if uv got mobility probs then surely ur entitled to it. dont think its upper limbs,walking ability more to do with it. go for it uv nothing to lose, more to gain.good luck & lets us no how u get on.happy new year.debsxx
  • woodbon
    Hi
    I really, really wish I could think of something to help you. If an employer is dis-ability friendly that should include parking. Even if they have buses which go to the hospital and take wheelchairs etc. this is not suitable for staff as the extra time it takes wipes out any energy you have. My local hospital could have solved the problems by building multi-story, as its only been built a few years and has lots of space, but this was'nt 'GREEN' enough. I wish I'd had a magic wand for christmas :roll: :) Take care, and keep pushing the b.......rs! Love Sue
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    think i may be in same situation as you shortly when i move. For a permenant space i need occupational health to say i can but they say they are not the car park "monitors"...so i am bit stuck and if i have to use off road parking involving a lenghty walk i will end up being off sick etc as it will trigger off pains etc...i have onlly just started looking into my situation and know its yet another battle i could do without....especiallly when able bodied, fit to walk to off road parking could manage it but of course they wont give up a space for me............set me off now at some others attitude to disabilities , its like they think any concessions you get or allowed they should have as well :x
  • magenta
    Hiya Oneday,
    It's awful isn't it? I phoned Occy Health today and they said to phone HR-which I did. Both very helpful but they aren't properly back until Mon 5th. They both said they will try to help but I'll have to wait and see. I spoke to my manager and he is very understanding, especially when I told him I'll be off sick more than present at work! He'll do a letter of support on top of what OH and HR come up with. I can only try I suppose. Next step is applying for a blue badge. HR have said I'm 'between a rock and a hard place' with regards my health i.e. I'll make myself so ill (if I can't bring my car) that I'll eventually need a blue badge. As you said, it's another thing to worry /fight about. I also have colleagues that think If I'm entitled to a permit then the same should apply to them-I don't think they get the fact that I'm struggling to get to work even with my car. They are all fit and healthy and could easily travel by train/bus. I did for over 2yrs-with arthritis and bringing a small baby to work, everyday, on public transport. If I couldn't get the bus (after the train ) I used to walk 30mins to and from work. Able-bodied folk are shocked when I say they can manage it-'what, you mean walk to work?' Sorry, went on a bit but this is really annoying me now! Hope things work out for you :wink:
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    A few years ago I worked for Oxford University and we had dis-abled people working for us and although parking was very controlled, they all qualified for a designated space near the door of their department. Love Sue
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    magenta wrote:
    Hiya Oneday,
    It's awful isn't it? I phoned Occy Health today and they said to phone HR-which I did. Both very helpful but they aren't properly back until Mon 5th. They both said they will try to help but I'll have to wait and see. I spoke to my manager and he is very understanding, especially when I told him I'll be off sick more than present at work! He'll do a letter of support on top of what OH and HR come up with. I can only try I suppose. Next step is applying for a blue badge. HR have said I'm 'between a rock and a hard place' with regards my health i.e. I'll make myself so ill (if I can't bring my car) that I'll eventually need a blue badge. As you said, it's another thing to worry /fight about. I also have colleagues that think If I'm entitled to a permit then the same should apply to them-I don't think they get the fact that I'm struggling to get to work even with my car. They are all fit and healthy and could easily travel by train/bus. I did for over 2yrs-with arthritis and bringing a small baby to work, everyday, on public transport. If I couldn't get the bus (after the train ) I used to walk 30mins to and from work. Able-bodied folk are shocked when I say they can manage it-'what, you mean walk to work?' Sorry, went on a bit but this is really annoying me now! Hope things work out for you :wink:
    Magenta x

Hi
    i think in my case no one wants to actually put their neck out and make a decision in case it rocks the boat with everyone else.....so if i dont get a space i know i will be off sick, then get the usual threat of being on report ie. if off alot get sacked etc....great isnt it.
    And ditto re non disabled colleagues who begrudge any adjustments...i have that about my rsi adjustments (nothing to do with this issue and my walking) theyre jealous someone has these benefits but no idea what the pain and difficulties are and arent sympathic......thats life i guess...these people will never understand will they...i once explalined someting to someone abut another of my colleagues with a type of arhtur..they will criticising her being tired!!!!!etc...so i enlightened them to what her condition actually meant and they seemed surprised,arrrrh.
    i have gone off at a tangent.....if youre in a union i would recommend you see them to help you fight your case plus it usually puts managment in order when they think they can do their own thing regardless of legistlation etc.
  • magenta
    Thanks Oneday,
    I'm back to work Monday so will contact all relevant people including union. I think it's a form of discrimination. I had to go to Occy Health when I first got my diagnosis and my manager had to 'make reasonable adjustments to workplace'. I think being allowed to park everyday without fear of getting a ticket is another 'reasonable adjustment' for me. As my hubby says, if there is all this stuff brought in for me to use in my work, I should be able to actually get to my work. Thanks Sue, I wish my workplace thought like Oxford-being nhs, you think they would :?
    I'm going to rest up over the weekend so I'll be ready for Monday. Saying that, I'm suffering today, especially my left ankle-that's what 1 day back at work does for you-hey ho! Best wishes to you all for 2009 :wink:
    Magenta xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • j0nn13
    j0nn13 Member Posts: 26
    Have you had an update on this magenta?

I've been able to move my office from the hospital to an NHS office nearby so have been able to sidestep the 4 hour issue.

However, if i hadn't been able to do that, I would have definatly been camping out at HR until they did something!

Hope its going ok!
  • magenta
    Hello Jonn,
    Things haven't being going well at all. My lap-top went all funny on me and I was away from forum for a week. Also been on Jury duty for the past week so have been knackered. I'm also off my work today and probably tomorrow-my feet,ankles,knees and hips (also shoulders etc) are very bad just now and the pain is hindering my driving! I knew this would happen.
    I had been sneakily parking my car at my wee boys nursery. I knew it was for permit holders only-which is another thing that's making me angry-I have to hope there's a space left in the morning so I can physically drop him off :x There were no signs up so legally they couldn't do anything but they've now e-mailed everyone to say the nursery is for permit holders only (even though the parking circular states the nursery spaces as 'free').
    Went to HR-'We don't have a magic wand you know'!!!!! and OH can't help me at all, even with writing a support letter to facilities manager. The girl from OH had to ask a senior member of staff. She phoned me the day after our meeting and told me very bluntly-No! At the meeting, she agreed with me about getting me a permit would be considered a reasonable adjustment but then she refuses to help me-Ooooooooh! I know it's not her fault but the whole thing is really annoying me now.
    I bet you're glad you asked now :wink:
    It's actually causing a bit of friction in my work as there are an awful lot of senior members of staff that seem to go to meetings off-site but these meetings never happen :shock: Our manager lied on their permit applications and I think the [Removed by moderator] is going to hit the fan very soon-that's the only thing that cheers me up where the permits are concerned. Glad you've managed to avoid it all, where are you working now? I'm really thinking about moving on now, this on top of 'agenda for change'-I've just about had it with the NHS!!!
    Sorry for going on,
    Magenta x