just been given tramadol!!!!!!

nickynysmon08
nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
edited 6. Jan 2009, 15:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
though this not related directly to arthritis, I thought it was worth sharing this with you all. i came back from the doctor this morning, with another medical problem that will require minor surgery and mentioned i was not happy taking co codomal due to the side effects of codeine, which can be inconvenient. so, he has given me 50 mg tablets of tramodal, 100 tablets, !!
I am now slowly rising up out of the chair on some minor drug high!!
seriously, one wonders sometimes, if out of their generosity they can be too generous. I seldom take painkillers for arthritis but now the only one I can take if it flares up is tramadol. I will have to get used to feeling lightheaded I suppose.
my main concern is it being an opiate, and knowing they can create some dependency. maybe my fears are misplaced.
I must say what excellent doctors i have at the surgery, most kind and compassionate.
any comments on taking tramadol are most appreciated.

Comments

• roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I've been given tramadol too but I only take one or two when I'm really sore and never on a regular basis.

I don't feel they are addictive at that rate but I know what you mean about being light-headed.

Patrick
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    My 15 year old son takes 2 of these a day plus co dydramol and has been taking them for over a year now.
    I hope they're not addictive as they are hoping to start him on embrel and try to get him off these painkillers and steroids.
    julie
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    I could not cope with tramadol and had to go back on co-codamol. Was constantly light headed and nausea was a problem. Hope you fare better. Linda.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I have had Tramadol on a number of occasions, and am on them now for a flare up, they make me light headed so only take them when necessary, guaranteed for an hour's sleep, I haven't found them habit forming yet though love Jaspercatxxx
  • nickynysmon08
    I took two after I left the surgery at home thne went for a drive and some shopping. tried to go for a walk but the pain was too bad, not arthritis this time. it did ease. the tablets were kicking in, I think the capsules are slow release, called 'zydol'
    I took two more at home later, then they really kicked in. thought i may float away. every time I close my eyes, feeling drowsy, it is most weird, most weird. I am not trying to frighten everyone, we all react differently, but i think these should be them with care. the doctors seem happy about them and like some of the other respondents, i will only take one or two if needed,

may I wish all of you a happy and pain free new year, and hope we have a decent summer this time.

Nick

jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, I have had Tramadol on a number of occasions, and am on them now for a flare up, they make me light headed so only take them when necessary, guaranteed for an hour's sleep, I haven't found them habit forming yet though love Jaspercatxxx
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Crikey, I'd be flat on my back after 4 like that :lol::lol: No wonder you're a bit light-headed!

Happy New Year to you :)

Patrick
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

I've been taking Tramadol daily for about 18 months now. I take 100mg slow release twice a day.
    When I first started taking them I did feel a bit strange, with that light headed feeling. This settled after a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.
    At the time I was working full time & it didn't effect my working but I did sleep well as a bonus :)
    It does give me strange dreams sometimes but I think it is an effective pain relief tab.

As for its addictive properties... well it is from the opiate family but I dont allow myself to worry about it.
    I dont take it for fun and coping with my pains/ conditions is my priority.

I don't see myself coming off these in the near future but if I did I would just cut them down slowly over time.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but this was my experience.

Jackie
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Hi, I was on tramdol and took four a day, I found they were great. the gp put me on tesmic 400 mg as the pain in my back was getting worse , but getting of tramdol was ok for me the only made my head sore at the very start but once on it for a bit I was ok

The tramdol was slow release150 mg

the co codamol amde it hard to go to the torilet ( but thats another story

Good luck with this tablet

Mike R & Hazel Mike JR :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    My mum of 85 whilst extremely ill in hospital was given tramadol and in the end we demanded the drug to be "washed out" of her.

She tells us that she liked the effect of this drug as it took her to the "other side". We, as family were totally alarmed by the effects the drug had on her. She is still in hospital and wears a red wrist band with the word tramadol on it, to alert staff not to prescribe this to her.

As mentioned on the forum so many times, medication affects everyone differently.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nickynysmon08
    may I reply to these posts collectively and this one especially. I do find with myself that taking tramadol, it being an opiate and acting on the central nervous system, does lower the barriers, for me personally, between mind and brain. one is quite capable I think of 'going to the other side'- not quite, but as most of us are good people and have few if any inner demons, there is nothing wrong with this in principle. again, quoting your mothers experience it is entirely personal as is arthritis. no one is the same even amongst twins.
    I got up just now and took two 50mg tablets, eight are my maximum dose daily but this would give me an out of the body experience and as my time for leaving is not yet, I think. !!
    I will practice caution!!! I do not take it for pleasure please note.
    also I believe there is very very slight danger for most people taking this or similar medication. again we are all different.
    your comments are most interesting, and helpful
    best wishes and happy new year,

Nick

elnafinn wrote:
    My mum of 85 whilst extremely ill in hospital was given tramadol and in the end we demanded the drug to be "washed out" of her.

She tells us that she liked the effect of this drug as it took her to the "other side". We, as family were totally alarmed by the effects the drug had on her. She is still in hospital and wears a red wrist band with the word tramadol on it, to alert staff not to prescribe this to her.

As mentioned on the forum so many times, medication affects everyone differently.

Luv
    Elna x
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Take what you need to get you over this period of pain. Like me you sound like you worry that you may get to "used" to it but sometimes just a short time of pain relief is enough to give you the inner strength to regain control and then reduce use of the pain killers. You sound as if you are of "sound enough mind" to know what you are doing.

Kate x
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Hi again,

It is very true that all medication effects each individual differently and also at different episodes of their life.

As I said, my system can tolerate Tramadol and yet anything with Codeine in (which many people tolerate) makes me feel awful, really bad. Likewise Morphine... when I had my Hip resurfaced they had me on a pump of it and I was terribly sick until it was removed!
    So those two drugs for me are a total no, no. Unfortunately we dont know how we will react until we try any of these 'poisons'

Happy New Year everyone :)
    Jackie x
  • nickynysmon08
    though very very necessary sometimes. i am taking one at a time now as you are meant to. the pain has almost gone, was quite bad, sadly i feel utterly dreadful right now. washed out completely. which is better, the pain or the drug?
    i think it is safe for most to use, but for me, not certain. just want to sit down right now. it is not arthritis pain but something else.
    i wont take codeine as it constipates .
    nick

Hi again,

It is very true that all medication effects each individual differently and also at different episodes of their life.

As I said, my system can tolerate Tramadol and yet anything with Codeine in (which many people tolerate) makes me feel awful, really bad. Likewise Morphine... when I had my Hip resurfaced they had me on a pump of it and I was terribly sick until it was removed!
    So those two drugs for me are a total no, no. Unfortunately we dont know how we will react until we try any of these 'poisons'

Happy New Year everyone :)
    Jackie x
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    though this not related directly to arthritis, I thought it was worth sharing this with you all. i came back from the doctor this morning, with another medical problem that will require minor surgery and mentioned i was not happy taking co codomal due to the side effects of codeine, which can be inconvenient. so, he has given me 50 mg tablets of tramodal, 100 tablets, !!
    I am now slowly rising up out of the chair on some minor drug high!!
    seriously, one wonders sometimes, if out of their generosity they can be too generous. I seldom take painkillers for arthritis but now the only one I can take if it flares up is tramadol. I will have to get used to feeling lightheaded I suppose.
    my main concern is it being an opiate, and knowing they can create some dependency. maybe my fears are misplaced.
    I must say what excellent doctors i have at the surgery, most kind and compassionate.
    any comments on taking tramadol are most appreciated.

Hi,

I take one pill that is a combination of tramadol and acetomophin every 6 hrs.. It works well on a short term basis but after a couple of days I get that 'yuck' feeling. For me I find predisone gets the flairs under control. Prefer injections if I can get them.

jimmy77
  • parky2
    parky2 Member Posts: 52
    Im a Tramadol girl too.................well only when really really necessary! They make me go just a tad strange! Doctor keeps telling me that I will get used to them but Im not so sure!

One funny story being that our wedding photographer came to deliver some proofs and I was in a 'tramadol sleep' on the sofa.........woke up and started shouting about a chicken! HaHa! Was full on screaming at my husband, screaming at him asking if he had cooked my chicken. Dont know who looked more freaked out, the poor wedding photographer or my poor hubby! (we didnt even have a chicken that needed cooked!)

Vowed from that day on that I would never take tramadol during the day again!
  • linmad
    linmad Member Posts: 18
    hi,
    have just read post, i take tramadol with paracetamol, can take 2 tram 3 times daily and 8 paracetamol but find 1x tram plus 2xparacetamol seems to do the trick, but have never taken 6 in one day, if the 2 +1 doesn't work i know i can take the 2nd tram, but that does not happen very often.
    for me this is better than co-codamol with all its effects on tummy ,and much better than di-hydracodeine which really made me feel "spaced out " or loopy as my gp described it !
    i was warned that i could react to tramadol the way i did to di hydracodeine but luckily for me i seem to tolerate this much better , but as with all tabs what one person swears by another will hate, i also find the only anti inflam that helps me is celebrex yet loads of people here either don't rate or wont take think it really is trial and error good luck
  • nickynysmon08
    I was given it for pain not related with arthritis, but something else. may take it if a bad flare up occurs. I started taking two to see how effective they were. second day I went to bed, in the morning and would still be sleeping. what a wonderful relaxed state. and the pain went as well!!
    I cannot take them, seriously, I feel quite awful but if it comes to severe pain, or the effect of tramodol, the tablets win. I am having minor surgery in six months.

parky2 wrote:
    Im a Tramadol girl too.................well only when really really necessary! They make me go just a tad strange! Doctor keeps telling me that I will get used to them but Im not so sure!

One funny story being that our wedding photographer came to deliver some proofs and I was in a 'tramadol sleep' on the sofa.........woke up and started shouting about a chicken! HaHa! Was full on screaming at my husband, screaming at him asking if he had cooked my chicken. Dont know who looked more freaked out, the poor wedding photographer or my poor hubby! (we didnt even have a chicken that needed cooked!)

Vowed from that day on that I would never take tramadol during the day again!