Parking rule will force me to leave work

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 6. Jan 2009, 14:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya,
I've posted on WMF about this but it's really worrying me. Anyone who lives in Scotland or who works in the nhs will maybe know of new parking rules being implemented at some hosp. sites come 1st Jan 2009. I work at one of the hospitals. I don't have a permit and will have to try and get a space that hundreds of others will be fighting for. I have to take my car as arthritis is getting worse, in particular my back and hips, and I can't physically travel long distances on public transport ( with my youngest). I feel this will force me out of my job. I'll end up having to get bus/train etc but it'll make me ill and I'll have to take sick-leave time and time again! Either this will force me to leave my job or I'll be sacked :shock:
Magenta x

Comments

• j0nn13
    j0nn13 Member Posts: 26
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Which hospital do you at work at? I work at the RAH in Paisley and have fortunately avoided the charges. I have been told that if you have a genuine need for a parking permit that HR will consider you for one. I would suggest you go see Occupational Health and ask them to intervene on your behalf? Thats what they are their for!

Let us know how you get on and good luck!
  • magenta
    Hi Jonn13,
    I work at Yorkhill in Glasgow. I'm due back at work tomorrow, and I'm going to see my manager to see if he can help, which I doubt-he's pretty useless! I'm going to get in touch with Occy Health too. I feel a bit rotten doing this though but I have to do something. Other people are in the same boat but they're fit and healthy, no kids and live near the hospital. They basically said to me-'why should you get a space just cos you have arthritis?'
    I'll let you know what happens, thanks,
    Magenta x
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    hi magenta..sorry to hear of your troubles, but as john said..surely your HR will be able to do something to help..especially if "prodded" by occ health. don't like to pry..but do you not have a blue badge?
    also may be worth remembering, if it comes to a fight to get permit, that rheumatoid arthritis is cited as a specific example of a condition which meets the definition of a "disablility" under the terms of the DDA - HR folk dont really like hearing those 3 letters used at them, so use them..lol

good luck, Colin
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hi Magneta, Please forgive my ignorance but couldn't you apply/re-apply for a Blue Badge? Part of the problem here is the ***** council want ot start charging BB holders (but thats another story)..
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Hi magenta, I don't know about the new rules, I thought the Glasgow hospitals were dropping the charges at all the hospitals, I was cheering this as I am waiting admission to the SG.

I know that Blue Badges are only readily available if you are on high rate mobility, but the social services OT's have the discretion to ok an application without DLA payment being in place, have you pursued this?

As for you collegues...my goodness and they work in health care. I wonder what the world if coming to when such uncaring/uninformed attitudes are held by health workers.

Keep us informed of developments. Linda
  • magenta
    Hello everyone, and thanks for your replies.
    Linda, the Glasgow hospitals did do away with the parking charges because we all (and MP's) complained to Nicola Sturgeon ( Health Minister for Scotland). The people that 'run' the parking places have brought new guidelines in:-
    1. Staff with permits, keep permits (which are now free) and get to park anywhere in staff permit zone.
    2. Patients/visitors can park free in a designated area-upto 4hrs-after which they will be ticketed-worth 40pds. People who have terminally sick children, which they must prove, can be eligible for longer without incurring a ticket.
    3. Non-permit holding staff have the 'luxury' of fighting for limited spaces.
    Anyone parking in wrong zone will incur an immediate ticket.

As for Blue badge-I never really thought I would need one-until now. Unfortunately I have sero-negative arthritis, my OH even said that this wasn't recognised as a condition! Anything I look up says you must be registered blind, have severe problems with upper limbs! Also, must be in receipt of disability benefit(s). There is a part that says they will look at applications from people with 'other' problems and I guess that's the route I'm going to have to take. It does say that you would have to be assessed by someone-guess that would be when I'm having a good day!!!!!

I'm going to have a fight on my hands but I will give it a good go! Thanks again and I will let you know of my progress,
    Magenta x
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    Hi hun
    I got my BB before I got DLA I would see if you can give it a try it won't cost you anything.

Also if you do get it you will also get a bus pass as well but you have to apply for that separate

Michelle
  • j0nn13
    j0nn13 Member Posts: 26
    I don't know if you would neccesarily qualify for a blue badge, depends on how bad your symptoms are, however if you are still able to work, i don't know if you would be seen as bad enough, but worth a shot.

Your occ health at yorkhill should definatly be able to help, they helped me get my boss to agree to flexible hours as most forms of rheumatoid, sero-negative athritis etc are covered by the disability discrimination act. Start talking about that to HR and i suspect they'll have a change of heart about your permit ;-)

Good luck!
  • magenta
    Hi Jonn13,
    I'm in a catch 22 situation with regards blue badge. I've never ever thought about getting one. I know there are alot more people worse off than me but if I have to travel on public transport and walk for long distances then I will eventuaally make myself so ill, I will qualify for a badge :?
    OH, years ago were very helpful. They got me help through 'Access to work' and I got chairs/trolleys etc for work. They also helped me to get flexible working but it was more to do with reduced hours within departments-hopefully that makes sense? I have reduced my hours but people think it's solely to do with childcare. It's because of both childcare and health. There was a dr in OH that wanted me to leave work on the grounds of ill health and it was her that said I wouldn't qualify for my pension as sero-ve arthritis wasn't a recognised condition! I feel I have to watch myself when complaining about things regarding my health-in case someone starts saying I shouldn't be working at all :shock:
    All I know is that something is going to have to get done or I'll have to consider leaving my job.
    Thanks everyone for your advice. Hope you all have a very Happy New Year and wish you all the best for 2009 :wink:
    Magenta x
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    I live in a parking permit resident area, and parking is premium, as there are only about 60 car spaces and about 200 houses some converted into flats, I get parking fines all the time, and the council do not always back down, I have asked them where do they think I should park, when walking is difficult? and as I cannot fit my car through the front door, I am in a difficult situation, I asked for a special parking space but was declined as all disabled drivers and there are many in the street would be able to use it...they told me to move? like to know where they think I am gonna get money to move from?
  • magenta
    Hi Luckybug,
    That's not great at all! Where I live can be hard trying to park but nothing like you! If I qualified for a blue badge I would get the council to paint in a disabled space outside my house-I would love to see the faces of my neighbours :) Some have 3 cars and with only 1 space in their drive ( I don't have a driveway) they take up another 2 spaces. There are only 12 spaces for over 30 cars. It's an added stress onto my day whether or not I can park near my house.
    We should automatically get tickets cancelled once we say we have arthritis :) Take care,
    Magenta x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    magenta wrote:
    Hi Luckybug,
    That's not great at all! Where I live can be hard trying to park but nothing like you! If I qualified for a blue badge I would get the council to paint in a disabled space outside my house-I would love to see the faces of my neighbours :) Some have 3 cars and with only 1 space in their drive ( I don't have a driveway) they take up another 2 spaces. There are only 12 spaces for over 30 cars. It's an added stress onto my day whether or not I can park near my house.
    We should automatically get tickets cancelled once we say we have arthritis :) Take care,
    Magenta x

Hi Magnita you could always get the union to deal with the problem for you.
    Colin
  • magenta
    Hi Colin,
    My union is pretty useless. I've tried using them before with regards being bullied and discriminated at work by my colleagues, all because of my arthritis. I eventually had to do all the fighting myself only for grievance I raised to be dropped. Thankfully, my GP at the time ended up helping me :?
    My first step tomorrow will be occy health and HR and I'll see what they can do. I'll maybe try my union rep and sound him out about things-he's marginally better than the 'big ones'! Thanks Colin,
    Magenta x
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Just a thought Magneta have you written to your MP? Being an old grumpy I find myself doing this on a fairly regular basis, and I have to say - it works. May be worth trying to get he/she on side?
  • magenta
    Just a thought Magneta have you written to your MP? Being an old grumpy I find myself doing this on a fairly regular basis, and I have to say - it works. May be worth trying to get he/she on side?

Hi mousey,
    I never thought of that :) I will try that too!
    Ta much x
  • clariana
    clariana Member Posts: 5
    You should argue that given your condition a parking permit for you is a "reasonable adjustment" under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. If they don't uphold your grievance take them to an employment tribunal on this same point. Contact your local CAB or Law Centre for help.

Clariana
  • magenta
    Thanks Clariana,
    I agree with you regards 'reasonable adjustment' and I'll try that. I've got an OH appt. tomorrow for advice about getting a permit and/or a blue badge. I'm really struggling today after being back at work just one day. I just wish I had more energy to really fight!
    Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    dont give in Magenta, keep fighting them. it's not easy, and at times it is certainly not fair how hard you have to fight, but im sure you will get there in end.
    colin
  • magenta
    Hiya,
    Went to OH today and she was really nice. She's newish and never had an employee asking for help with applying for a permit. She's getting advice from a more senior member of staff tomorrow. She also thinks giving me a permit would come under a 'reasonable adjustment' under DDA. I'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. I'm really in alot of pain , feet are now killing me-sharp pains along the inside of sole :? I feel completely done in :( Thanks for all your encouragement-Colin,I will keep fighting!!!!
    Magenta x

PS I found out today that a girl I work with got a permit cos she says she gets panic attacks on trains (she would have to travel for 40mins). She recently went to Sheffield for a 2 day course-by train. Never had an attack. When someone mentioned panic attacks and trains, she said she just has to face a certain way on train and she's fine!!! That made me more determined to fight this.