Furious with GP

jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
edited 1. Jan 2009, 15:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, sorry to start the new year with a whinge but: I saw the gp on the 23rd of december about a flare up, he wouldn't do anything except give me painkillers, he said to come back today, I am so much pain with my feet and toes I couldn't walk, so my husband rang for a home visit.

What a waste of time, after 5 minutes of him whinging on about us calling him out, he gave me more painkillers and told me to ring the Rheumy, who dosen't start back until the 5th of January, I am livid he could help me with a steroid injection but not him, of all the gps I got the useless one.

Any thoughts anyone? love Jaspercatxxx

Comments

• nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    just read your post, and feel very sorry for you. it is quite enough having arthritis without being frustrated by those we trust to treat us.
    i take diclofenic when my relatively minor complaint, osteo of the knees and hips flares up. i have had some quite nasty pain though, and the last time I saw the GP about it he gave me a repeat prescription for it . What a mercy. otherwise i would be gong downhill now. I find it a wonder drug. I hope this is of help,

Nick

jaspercat wrote:
    Hi Everyone, sorry to start the new year with a whinge but: I saw the gp on the 23rd of december about a flare up, he wouldn't do anything except give me painkillers, he said to come back today, I am so much pain with my feet and toes I couldn't walk, so my husband rang for a home visit.

What a waste of time, after 5 minutes of him whinging on about us calling him out, he gave me more painkillers and told me to ring the Rheumy, who dosen't start back until the 5th of January, I am livid he could help me with a steroid injection but not him, of all the gps I got the useless one.

• mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hello Jasper - Sorry you are feeling low. I suspect your GP had a limited armour? Sometimes they need to consult/defer to the rhumy For what its worth I've had a few steroids and they dont touch it anymore...hang on in there I know its rough..
  • suzanna1953
    suzanna1953 Member Posts: 4
    My husband has one as well. Husband has gout all he is given is pain killers and NSAIDS. He is not supposed to take NSAIDS as he has had 2 bipasses and a TIA. Lousy xmas after a flare up of gout but has now changed his diet. Fibrogel is good for constipation, the side effects of painkillers. Husband getting very angry and fed up
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    jaspercat wrote:

Hi,
    The GP could provide you steroids in pill form at least. Painkillers don't work as well for me because they don't actually reduce the inflammation.

Jimmy77
  • suzanna1953
    suzanna1953 Member Posts: 4
    Don't they ever give you prednisolone for R.A? Some GP's give it out quite often?
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Hi There
    sorry to hear about your trouble. I had exactly the same problem with my GP she kept telling me to take paracetomol for 6mths b4 a locum doctor i saw refered me straight to rhuemy where was diagnosed with RA. She continued to be little or no help and when she told me i shouldn't be claiming benefits because i was to young. It really was the last straw and i changed GPs. Go with your gut instinct if your like me and don't like to challange people or complain maybe you could think about changing GPs. It worked for me but I guess its luck of the drawer.
    Good luck
    Rosie