methotrexate increase to 20mg

tamnwill
tamnwill Member Posts: 93
edited 5. Jan 2009, 04:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
As a result of a recent flare up of 'A' (whereby bloods indicated for the first time, a substantial increase of inflammation in my body)
My consultant wants me to go up to 20mgs of Methotrexate (from 15mgs).
I have been taking it for 15 weeks.........with no obvious well effects!!
Unfortunately, I've had a virus coincide with this nasty bout of the 'A' for the past 3 weeks, which made life very difficult, emotionally and physically.
My question is, has anyone experienced a difference good or bad from taking the extra 5 mgs please??????
Or, did you try something else? (have tried Sulphasazoline) (sp!) but no good.
Your experiences would be greatly received............. :D xxx
Energy is eternal delight.
William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I presume you are taking MTX tablets?

I jsut ask as I didn't find any joy with the tablets, in fact they made me really sick, but the injections have made a world of difference to me.

Just recently I have gone from 22.5 to 25mg, and I certainly do notice the difference after few weeks.

Unfortunately MTX does take a long while to take effect, and if you are having a flare at the mo then it won't be really obvious for a while.

My experience is that sometimes I try something and it does not work for me, but there is something else to try which might. That is how I came to be taking what I am taking now - trial and error.

Hope that helps - good luck!!!!
  • tamnwill
    Hi there, thanks for your reply, yes am on meth' for 16 weeks now 15mgs, but saw the consultant today and as they haven't had any benefits he has changed me to Leflunomide??? Guess I'll have to try this!!! Yes having worst flare up ever, in most joints :o(, not fun at all.

Wonkylegs wrote:
    I presume you are taking MTX tablets?

I jsut ask as I didn't find any joy with the tablets, in fact they made me really sick, but the injections have made a world of difference to me.

Just recently I have gone from 22.5 to 25mg, and I certainly do notice the difference after few weeks.

Unfortunately MTX does take a long while to take effect, and if you are having a flare at the mo then it won't be really obvious for a while.

My experience is that sometimes I try something and it does not work for me, but there is something else to try which might. That is how I came to be taking what I am taking now - trial and error.

Hope that helps - good luck!!!!

Mark Twain
  • jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    Hi.
    I have had no problem increasing from 15mg to 20mg and have had no reaction to this : :)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    tamnwill wrote:
    As a result of a recent flare up of 'A' (whereby bloods indicated for the first time, a substantial increase of inflammation in my body)
    Unfortunately, I've had a virus coincide with this nasty bout of the 'A' for the past 3 weeks, which made life very difficult, emotionally and physically.
    My question is, has anyone experienced a difference good or bad from taking the extra 5 mgs please??????

Hi tam I'm going back 3 years but yes the 5mg extra worked for me but only for about a year and it did take some time to build up in my system. Its a bit of a catch 22 isen't it. You put so much faith in your Rheumy there is little you can do. The other problem is your stuck because you can't help yourself no matter what you do you are dependant on the Rheumy and if your like me its hard to deal with.
    I hope your feeling better soon.
    Colin
  • tamnwill
    Ho Colin,
    Thanks for your reply, did you get very down/depressed when you were on them? I said I had to the conlsultant and it was that that made him change to new drug, he said sometimes it can change the chemistry in the brain??? So complicated isn't it!!!! and there was me thinking I didn't have a brain any more and that it had buggered off with my lovely thick hair I once had, lol.

colinone wrote:
    [q

uote="tamnwill"]As a result of a recent flare up of 'A' (whereby bloods indicated for the first time, a substantial increase of inflammation in my body)

Hi tam I'm going back 3 years but yes the 5mg extra worked for me but only for about a year and it did take some time to build up in my system. Its a bit of a catch 22 isen't it. You put so much faith in your Rheumy there is little you can do. The other problem is your stuck because you can't help yourself no matter what you do you are dependant on the Rheumy and if your like me its hard to deal with.
    I hope your feeling better soon.
    Colin[/quote] :mrgreen:

Mark Twain