Who Are We Roll Call - Part 2

Jeannie
Jeannie Member Posts: 29
edited 29. Apr 2009, 16:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

I am starting a new Thread on the roll call, as the old thread is now too full, and is causing technical problems to access.

Seasons greetings,

Jeannie (forum Supervisor) :D

Comments

• grannymollie
    grannymollie Member Posts: 7
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I'm Mollie and live in South Glous, I've got Sero Positive Erosive RA according to my Rheumatologist, and at 67 years old am probably the oldest in the clan.

I have currently been suffering a dreadful flare, which will not subside, despite Depo injections and Steroids.

My RA started 2 years ago, though with hindsight it had been around for some time before that.

I spent 13 months on Methotrexate going from 3 to 8 tablets. Then 3.5 months on Leflunamide, which has now been stopped due to no progress and bad side effects.

I start Methotrexate by injection in the New Year. Can't really see how that will work, when the oral dose did nothing.

The only medication that worksfor me is a high dose of Steroids, but my Consultant and GP are reluctant to use this as it has caused other problems and they are worried about the long-term effects.

I am very lucky to have a wonderful, supportive and helpful husband, George. Without him I just could not cope. My current pains are shoulders, wrists and fingers, making me worse than useless around the house.

I am so thankful for this website, I realise i'm certainly not the only one fighting this terrible disease.

Just hope this message gets through - I tried once before and it just disappeared into Space.

Best wishes
    Mollie

[/quote]
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    It's been a while since I took part in one of these - I don't post regularly, just pop in when I feel I have something to offer.

I'm Scat. I'm 21, in my final year of university reading English Literature. I have RA. I was diagnosed 2 weeks into my first year of uni when I was 19. My doctors and I think my RA began about 9 months before I got a preliminary diagnosis from my GP, when I was 18.

Meds I've been on: sulphasalazine; leflunomide; etoricoxib.

Meds I'm currently on: MTX; hydroxychloroquine; adalimumab (Humira); prednisolone; diclofenac sodium as needed; cyclizine as needed; folic acid; calcium and vit. D; varying doses of codeine and paracetamol as needed.

My RA has been in remission for the last 6 months due to this med combo. It has taken the last 2 years and various different combinations to get here. Unfortunately I'm flaring at the moment and having bad reactions to the MTX (again!) so I've an emergency appt next week to sort something out.

My RA has also caused Achilles tendonitis; bursitis of the hip; carpel tunnel syndrome and damage in my right wrist. I have RA in both feet; both knees; both elbows; both wrists; both hands.

Scat.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    scattered wrote:
    It's been a while since I took part in one of these - I don't post regularly, just pop in when I feel I have something to offer.

I'm Scat. I'm 21, in my final year of university reading English Literature. I have RA. I was diagnosed 2 weeks into my first year of uni when I was 19. My doctors and I think my RA began about 9 months before I got a preliminary diagnosis from my GP, when I was 18.

Meds I've been on: sulphasalazine; leflunomide; etoricoxib.

Meds I'm currently on: MTX; hydroxychloroquine; adalimumab (Humira); prednisolone; diclofenac sodium as needed; cyclizine as needed; folic acid; calcium and vit. D; varying doses of codeine and paracetamol as needed.

My RA has been in remission for the last 6 months due to this med combo. It has taken the last 2 years and various different combinations to get here. Unfortunately I'm flaring at the moment and having bad reactions to the MTX (again!) so I've an emergency appt next week to sort something out.

My RA has also caused Achilles tendonitis; bursitis of the hip; carpel tunnel syndrome and damage in my right wrist. I have RA in both feet; both knees; both elbows; both wrists; both hands.

Scat.

Hi I'm Colin from Merseyside no jokes please, I have RA and PA and i'm totally PO with it all at the moment.
  • gingerkate
    gingerkate Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone, I'm Kate, I'm 47 with two children ages 15 and 12. I've just been diagnosed with OA in one shoulder: the doctor did an ultrasound scan and announced cheerfully, "The joint is knackered!". The theory is that it has been caused by my climbing (I climb a couple of times a week). I'm gutted at the prospect of having to give up climbing as I know it. It's been suggested that I should be ok to climb occasionally on easy routes, but no more pushing myself to my limit on steep stuff (ie overhangs) which is what I love. I know I'll adjust eventually, and find some other hobby to be passionate about, but right now I'm pretty down about it. Many of my joints give me a bit of pain (knees especially), so now I'm wondering if they're arthritic too. I wish the doctor hadn't used that word 'knackered', it hasn't helped my state of mind. Doom gloom doom gloom ... LOL!
    Actually just having a moan has made me feel better about things so thank you all for that!
    Happy Christmas, and best wishes to you all for 2009.
    Kate
  • joanne6658
    joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
    I'm Joanne, 36 from Manchester, married with a 2 year old son.

I have had PA for 2 years, brought on by having my son :(

Current medication is Rituximab infusions as all the usual suspects have not even touched the sides, had my 2nd infusion on 19th November but I can feel a flare up beginning to creep up on me. As has been mentioned previously the only thing that really works for me is a good dose of steroids but obviously not a long term option!

I try to always be as cheerful as possible under the circumstances,I just try to think that yes its painful, unplesant and not something I would wish on anyone, its not going to kill me! :)
  • katymac
    katymac Member Posts: 26
    Hi everyone

I've had to register with a new name, as I couldn't get anywhere with my old one. So, for anyone who has been here a while, I'm Katybarstool (Hi Wonkylegs, Chrisov, Anniegetyourgun and Jeannie). I've not been around for a while, so will bring you up to date.

First of all I'm 51, live in West Yorkshire, have three grown up children and four grandchildren - the last two being granddaughters. One was born in August and the latest one this month.

I was diagnosed with OA and Sjogrens Syndrome about 18 months ago, and found this wonderful site almost immediately. Back to update. The past year or so has been pretty tough. The Sjogren's is a real pain. It affects just about every bit of my body, the latest gifts being bladder and bowel problems and, just last week Raynauds. So, after two inpatient spells and lots of outpatients, I am now on 18 regular meds and have just picked myself up, dusted myself down, and decided 2009 is going to be my year.

Look forward to chatting to you all.
  • tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    Sounds like we have been hi with the same s**tty stick hun, my PA also started in pregnancy (at 34 years old).......tried Sulphasazoline and Methotrexate and now have been prescribed today Leflunomide !!! And like you only steroids work, especially as I am going through the worst flare up ever this last 2 weeks..........seemed to come on when others around me started going down with the Xmas viruses!! Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, my boy is nearly 6, TAM :o) xx

joanne6658 wrote:

Current medication is Rituximab infusions as all the usual suspects have not even touched the sides, had my 2nd infusion on 19th November but I can feel a flare up beginning to creep up on me. As has been mentioned previously the only thing that really works for me is a good dose of steroids but obviously not a long term option!

I try to always be as cheerful as possible under the circumstances,I just try to think that yes its painful, unplesant and not something I would wish on anyone, its not going to kill me! :)
    :D
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Hi everyone!

Im claire and 27 years old.
    Found out yesterday i have OA in my R hip with advanced femoral collapse. Been suggested my name goes on the list for a hip replacement asap.
    Quite alot to take in and still in shock i think !

:o
  • joanne6658
    joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Tamnwill, wonder if its anything to do with having baby boys that brings it on?? Lol! :lol:

I've got the beginnings of a flare upmyself, starting in my jaw this time! :roll:
    tamnwill wrote:
    Sounds like we have been hi with the same s**tty stick hun, my PA also started in pregnancy (at 34 years old).......tried Sulphasazoline and Methotrexate and now have been prescribed today Leflunomide !!! And like you only steroids work, especially as I am going through the worst flare up ever this last 2 weeks..........seemed to come on when others around me started going down with the Xmas viruses!! Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, my boy is nearly 6, TAM :o) xx

joanne6658 wrote:

• eilean1
    eilean1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi
    m I just could not cope. My current pains are shoulders, wrists and fingers, making me worse than useless around the house.

I am so thankful for this website, I realise i'm certainly not the only one fighting this terrible disease.

Just hope this message gets through - I tried once before and it just disappeared into Space.

Best wishes
    Mollie

Hello Mollie,

I too am in the midle of a terriblre, unexplained flare-up when I did nothiing untoward at all. I am still new to this awful malady. It started up in October last year. My goodness i could do without this voyage of discovery! Every day it is someting different. Today it took me about half an hour to get out of bed because I had total agony in my hands. Does it haklp to wear gloves in bed? I am going to try anyway but thinik I will miss having a good scratch--one of life's great little plesures.
    Regards
    Eilean---the pain free days are so precious aren't they, and I feel positively euphoric so it is a good time for the grandchildren to ask me for a loan! LOAN. You must be joking. They might jusf about take my dog round the park forthe shortest walk ever!

[/quote]
  • sirius
    sirius Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone!

This looks like a great friendly forum so I thought I'd stop by for a while.

I'm 39 and was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis last year. I have it in my neck, elbows, hips, knees and ankles, and I have nodal osteo-arthritis in my hands. I must say, I certainly do not suffer anywhere near as badly as most people here, I feel a bit of a fraud, but still, it came as a shock to me that I had OA before I even hit 40! Getting a lot of bother from my fingers and one of my knees right now, but just using ibuprofen to manage.

My boyfriend is living and working in Canada right now (he's Canadian), earning some good money to make life easier here when he finally gets his visa through. I'm mum to two lovely kids (well, lovely most of the time!!) from my previous marriage and I work full time in a family-run fireplace business.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you folks here from time to time, but in the meantime I hope you are all coping with the cold!

Sirius x
  • zetapuss
    zetapuss Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    My name is Anne and im 36 & a newbie.I was diagonaised with OA in november but am still going through tests etc to see whats going on.
    It is definately in my knees but the doctors wont x-ray my wrists as I feel its there too as they are in daily pain & discomfort.
    I also am in the waiting list for a RA aapointment- very confusing !
    Feeling sore, confused and a bit frightened at the moment .
    Lovely to read through the forums . x
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    edited 27. Mar 2009, 17:22
    Hi everyone,
    I'm JeannieP. Got OA in hip diagnosed about 6 years ago, and creaky knees so it's probably there too. Also wonky finger joint, so maybe the hands are next.
    [/code]
  • marnie
    marnie Member Posts: 3
    :( hi i am marnie i am 35 and have had RA for 4 years, currently on methotrexate and steriods plus +++++ pain killers, in loads a pain all the time. getting real fed up with it. No children but have super fab hubby.
  • jeanmoey
    jeanmoey Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone, I am Jean from Northern Ireland and I have had RA for the past 5 years and Fibro. I am currently on NSAID's and antidepressants and of course pain killers.

I have been on and off posting on this site for a few years now.

I am married with 3 lovely girls. I work part time as a PA.

I enjoy reading all the advise and stories and sharing when I can. x :wink:
  • polly24
    polly24 Member Posts: 34
    jeanniep wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm JeannieP. Got OA in hip diagnosed about 6 years ago, and creaky knees so it's probably there too. Also wonky finger joint, so maybe the hands are next.
    Like Sirius I feel a bit of a fraud with just a dodgy leg, when some of you are really suffering. My mum had RA for years, last few unable to do anything for herself, so I know what it can do. She died six months ago, I miss her, and she is a real role model for me, always sweet-tempered, never whingeing or complaining, apart from the odd wince or ouch. I don't live up to that!
    This is a brilliant site, you are all so supportive of one another. I love the way you call it arthur, especially as my oldest nephew (just turned 16) is Arthur. He can be annoying too!
    That's all - take care and keep warm
    JeannieP
    hi iam maggs have not been on for a while i live in a small town called rhymney in the south wales valleys i have ra and have had a few replacments over the last few years am 49 years young :lol:
  • maddyc
    maddyc Member Posts: 16
    Hi

I'm Maddy, 39, living in Dublin, married with 3 children. I only joined the site recently. Dx sero-neg RA two years ago after the birth of my youngest son. I've had various drug regime changes, now I am on Humira 40mg weekly (plus difene, tramadol etc when necessary). This keeps things under control unless I have an infection and have to come off it for a while.

Maddy
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Hi all.

I'm Plugg and i'm 34, married but no kids.

Diagnosed with RA last June and feeling like a fraud too because I have very little visible symptons unless you include the bags under your eyes after a rough night :lol:

I found this website just after I was diagnosed trying to answer all my burning questions at once, as you do!.

Finally plucked up the courage to join and put a post on last night and was great to get some lovely responses and advice from people who have unfortunately had problems for longer than me.

I will certainly drop in often as it's a great forum.

Plugg
  • katymac
    Hi Jeanmoey

Welcome back. I'm like you - I just pop in from time to time. My previous name was katybarstool, but for some reason, could not log in with that id - in fact I'm struggling with this one just now.

I was beginning to think that non of the oldies were still around, as I've had no answers to my posts.

Hope you are well and happy.

Kathyx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    edited 20. Jan 2009, 19:52
    Hello I'm Bev, I was diagnosed with Stills Disease when I was 2 years old, they told my mum I wouldn't see my 12th birthday, as I approached my 12th birthday my mum decided to ask how much time was left, and the Doctor then told her that I had been wrongly diagnosed and I had Chronic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis instead, and unless I was hit by a bus could live to be 90, ah doctors are so reassuring. :x
    Anyway today I'm 44 years old, I'm single and no children, I have had one elbow replacement, many arthroscopys and lots of minor surgery, I cope pretty well, even though my rheumatologist says I'm knackered....and he doesn't know how I cope, I have always suffered from pain, but I never really knew what it was until I lost my only brother to murder in 2000 aged 34, and that broke my heart. I try to stay positive as nothing can change what has happened, and no matter how many times I cry, nothing will ever bring him back, on a positive note he left me 2 handsome nephews and a beautiful niece, and I have to be strong for them. I am lucky as I have a lovely family, my mum and my sister live local, my mum lives in the next street, and my sister lives facing me in the same street and her two children more or less live here, and they are a great help to me. I'd be lost without them.
    I know that there are a lot of RA sufferers worst off than me.
    My hobbies are competitions, I enter hundreds each month, and have had some great wins, my best to date was a £10,000 kitchen on a lowest unique bid, see the arthritic fingers work when they need to, I also won a quad bike worth £5000 and loads of tv's, wiis, cameras, a camcorder a sat nav, and have just won a trip to London to see Jimmy Carr at an exclusive gig with hotel and travel expenses thrown in, so thats why I chose my name Luckybug. :D
    I have a petition for life for a knife if anyone cares to sign it, It closes on 29th January 2009. Many thanks for reading and here is the link. http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/justice4joey/#detail
  • katymac
    Hi Luckybug

Good to meet you. Well you sound like a very gifted person - well done you on all those wins.

It must have been surreal for your mum to be told you had been misdiagnosed, but what a wondrful present - a futre for her daughter. I would like to have seen her face on that day.

I'm almost 52, have three grown up sons, and two toddler grandsons and two baby grandaughters. Unfortunately, due to a family rift, I only have contact with one grandson and one grandaughter, but thy make my hurt burst with pride.

Hope to get to know you.

Kathyx
  • pussycat
    pussycat Member Posts: 36
    Hi I am kate and I am 36 years old (see there is already a kate :lol: so I'll be Kate 2)

I have RA and was diagnosed 2006 though I think I have had it longer, I confused sign's with thyroid trouble that I have.

Currently taking triple therapy (methotrexate via injection. , sulfasalazine, and hydroychloroquine) it seems to be help and I take pain relief on demand.

:D I am very pleased I have found this site and some people who know what it is like .
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi I`m Nicola aged 40. I have had hip and back pain for years but, was diagnosed last year with bilateral hip dysplasia and OA . My left hip is severely affected and I am due to have a THR soon. I am on lots of pain relief:- paracetamol, diclofenac, amitryptiline, morphine sulphate tablets and oromorph(as needed). I have invested in a funky pink stick which helps but I am not totally used to all this yet. I am pleased to have found this site. I think I will be using it a lot over the next few months around my surgery etc..
    So hello everyone!! :D
  • katymac
    Hi Nicola

Pleased to meet you. I like the sound of your funky pink stick. I'm going through a pink stage at the moment. My hubby thinks its my second childhood, although I will be 52 in a few months :(

Do you know when the surgery will be?

Kathyx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi katymac
    I have had my pre op tests and xrays just waiting for date. Hopefully soon, or will have to have them done again!!