ESA - incapacity benefit -what's next?

fishyface
fishyface Member Posts: 22
Hi

I'm suffering with the Arthur and been off of work for over six months now so pay has stopped and I'm claiming ESA.

Do they call you for an assesment then decide how long til you fit again and pay you til then. Is it a different Doctor to your GP?

All very distressing and confusing any help/info grateful.

Best wishes

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi like you i have been of work for 6 months on ssp my sick note runs out after my last payday from work so i rang the benefits place and they sent me the forms to fill in or i could have done it over the phone , but as it was all a bit daunting i ask if somebody at the job centre would be able to help the reply was free phone number as they dont send forms out ,but because i had got the form i got my appointment and a lovely lady filled it in for me , i am still waiting to hear what happens now , but should know something at the begining of next week ,xx {may}
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi i too have been off for 6 months with OA. I have been approved for ESA and had 1 part payment. I have now had a form to fill out re medical assessment. I have posted it and am nervous about what happens next. Any ideas??
  • fishyface
    I filled in the medical questionnaire 3 weeks ago so awaiting a reply or appointment with doctor??
  • bertyboy
    hi as i said in earlyer post i put my claim in for esa and on the advise of nice lady filled it in as for a couple as hubby is self employed and work is up and down why did i bother my last pay from work was on 22 nd dec and all we have had is formafter form ,so i rang them this morning , and had my husband taken of the claim and am now claiming for me only on the contribution side , should get some thing on thursday , pension credit here we come ,,
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    hi all,my ssp finished end of sept,just before esa came in.i wasnt intitled to incap/benefit(not enough contributions). so had to claim income support.still had to fill in ib50 med.****.forms.luckily i never had to go for medical signed me off for a yr.dr had to fill in med 4 which i sent in also. the ib50 is based on a points system,so i must have scored enough points not to need medical.
    wish it was so easy for the dreaded dla :roll: debsx
  • bertyboy
    hi i have now got my form to fill in for self assesmant ,so a bit paniced about that have told my doc that she will probably get paperwork to fill in , she says ok , i am also under a consultant now which might help ,, xx{may}
  • fishyface
    Have been called for a 'Pathways to Work Interview'

which helps you back into work,seek training,update skills etc.

I am still employed just not fit to do the job. Of course I will attend. Iwas expecting a medical really.
  • nearlybionic
    It seems daft for you to have to attend a meeting about finding work when you have a job, you are just unable to work due to illhealth. Oh well, we have to look willing I suppose! I contacted Tax Credits this week, as I am now on half pay and esa. They told me they now view me as unemployed as I have been off for more than 28 weeks. I am still employed and will be paid half pay until 12 months. Bizarre! :?
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    I've been on sick leave for 5 weeks now. How long can I be on sick leave before my work stops paying me?
    When I eventually claim ESA I so worried that they'll say I can work and I'm making it all up, silly I know, but I've tried the most suitable job and couldn't even do 8hrs! Any less and it wouldn't even pay for the petrol.
    I'm also worried that when summer arrives I'll feel better and then regret not working.

Daft worries I know. Any suggestions? (Apart from move to a warmer a climate and marry a millionaire - winning the lottery is still our longterm financial plan!!!)
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    I was self employed until the end of Nov but due to arthur I am now receiving ESA. I went for a pathways to work interview this morning. She said it was pointless doing the interview as I can hopefully go back to being self employed when things are sorted and I have had my wrist op but went through the motions anyway. I havent had a medical yet does anyone know how long this takes? I am also still waiting on DLA, been waiting since Nov for this too.
    Mandy
  • bertyboy
    hi i have had an initial interview at jobs plus and got a second one some where else , if i could get a full nights sleep and be able to stand or sit or walk with out the pain i would love to be back at work , but how much notice will they take ? i have been awarded higher mobilitty and low care for dla so surly thats got to mean something ,as they dont give that willy nilly , not looking forwards to it at all ,getting very stressed ,xx
  • nearlybionic
    I have received a letter asking me to arrange an appointment for a medical. I rang them and they wanted me to go to them soon, but when I explained about my recent surgery, they have asked for my GP to fax to verify my THR. When they receive it they will send my file back to DWP.
    Do you think that will be it then?
  • nearlybionic
    The saga continues! The day after I recieved the above letter etc, I got a phone cal in the evening asking me to attend a medical. Again I explained that I had just been discharged from hospital after a THR, and was told they are sending me an appointment anyway :shock: and would wait for the fax re evidence from my GP. Now I feel like they think I`m a liar! Well if they want to come round and look at my scar, be my guest!!
    I have tried to ring my gp surgery to check if the fax has gone, but it is constantly engaged.
    The top it off my husbands boss is giving him grief becuse he is going in a bit later (20 mins) because he has to take our children to school. He explained this before I went in and was told no problem. But now he is getting sarky comments! I feel guilty now! I wouldn`t mind but my hubby is on piece work in building trade and only gets paid for commpleted jobs, so its not as though he is being paid for not being there. :? I am really fed up with it all today , sorry.
    NB
  • bertyboy
    surly your hubby's boss should show a bit of compassion in this day and age is he not allowed to work flex time its just a thought , but he should not be bullied xx
  • nearlybionic
    bertyboy wrote:
    surly your hubby's boss should show a bit of compassion in this day and age is he not allowed to work flex time its just a thought , but he should not be bullied xx

Hi Bertyboy
    Well you would hope for a bit of compassion and understanding, but I think that with the current work climate, his boss is getting grief and he is then passing it on. But at the moment, my poor hubby could really do without it. We had a bereavement whilst I was in hospital, my hubby`s uncle, and the funeral was this week. So in his bosses eyes he has already had time off! I wish they would cut him a bit of slack, as he is running round like a headless chicken trying to please everyone, and I am worried he will make himself ill! I wouldn`t mind but he works harder than any of his colleagues and finishes more jobs than any one else. But if you work hard, they just expect more! Only another month til I could possibly drive again! :roll:
    NB
  • bertyboy
    well it does sound as if his boss is a major d--k head there are still laws i am sure , and i am sure he would not like to be treated in the same manner, take care anyway , at least your hubby knows how much you appreciate him and what he does , take care xx