34, RA, 2 kids, and enjoying being back at work at last

slummymummy
slummymummy Member Posts: 69
I have just been reading through everyone's posts here. Most people are off work and very ill, like I was 2 months ago. But after 5 months on the sick, I finally made myself go back (2 and a half days a week). I thought, I've got nothing to lose: All I can do is try. Even though 3 weeks before I went back, I had a flare and couldn't even walk to the bathroom without holding onto my husband's shoulders, I still went. I had no idea whether I would make it through the first day. In fact, the first week was fairly miserable, and required a huge amount of determination and self-control.

Now, (a few weeks later) I have to say, it was worth the effort. I am really enjoying work. People have been unexpectedly polite and respectful of my privacy about not wanting to talk about my illness. Getting back to normal life has been nice, and it is a huge relief just to be working again. There is no more guilt, worrying that people are looking at me thinking there is nothing wrong with me. I haven't had to worry about pensions or selling the house. I am sleeping better.

I just wanted to say that I am really glad that I forced myself to go back work (after a long break), even when I felt that there wasn't an ounce of strength left in me to do anything more than dress, wash and feed myself and my two children. If anyone out there doubts that they can do it, please have hope that things can get better.

Slummy

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Slummy,
    Well done :wink: Glad you're feeling better-haven't seen you posting for a while. Glad to see you back,
    Magenta x
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Well done on being so determined and focused, and really pleased you're feeling the benefits. Good luck for the future.

Wendy
  • shazzie39
    shazzie39 Member Posts: 38
    Hi Slummymummy.

I have only joined this forum today but reading back over all the posts so apologies. I feel totally inspired by your post. I am a mum of 1 tornado son aged 4 and have a lovely husband into the mix. I have been off since 2nd March and was diagnoised with RA 30th March. I am 7 weeks into MTX treatment and am stressing about work as this is the first episode of sick in 5 years (the last being my son decided to poke a hole in the womb causing a spontaneous rupture opps).

Today I woke up feeling really low wondering why I dont feel any better yet and what will the future hold. To know you have managed to get back to work even after an extend period off has helped me no end.

Just wanted to say thank-you. ( I read the Secret Life of Slummy Mummy the other day. Couldn't put it down it! It had me in fits of laughter! :D