Worried and Frightened!!

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 30. Jan 2009, 14:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the rhummy at the hospital today and he confirmed the scan result of having a smal piece of bone pinching a nerve on the left of my neck.

What really worried me is that he is sending me to a neurophysiologis as he wants to rule out myathenia gravis as I have the symptoms for that. I looked it up on the internet and frightened myself. :( Now I am really worried and down. I do know that it could be nothing but things are going round and round and I feel convinced it is something awful :!: Anyway I'll just have to wait and see :? Love Sue

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    woodbon wrote:
    I saw the rhummy at the hospital today and he confirmed the scan result of having a smal piece of bone pinching a nerve on the left of my neck.

What really worried me is that he is sending me to a neurophysiologis as he wants to rule out myathenia gravis as I have the symptoms for that. I looked it up on the internet and frightened myself. :( Now I am really worried and down. I do know that it could be nothing but things are going round and round and I feel convinced it is something awful :!: Anyway I'll just have to wait and see :? Love Sue

Hi Sue,
    Sorry to hear about your results. Are they going to do anything about the bone in your neck? What does myathenia gravis come up with on the internet? They are wanting to rule it out so hopefully it will come back all ok :) Take care,
    Magenta x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Sue
    It must have been very worrying for you to have been told that you were being referred . But they do need to rule out things and sometimes they look at symptoms and 2 and 2 makes 25!! I know it is hard not to worry, and the internet can be our enemy as well as a our friend, when it comes to health. Did they say how long it would be til you see the neuro`?
    i hope that you are not kept waiting too long for answers .
    Nicola x
  • woodbon
    edited 30. Jan 2009, 05:41
    Hello, They told me that it would be quicker if my gp referred me so fhe is writting to her to ask her to do it. Thats because of the governments targets, if I'm referred as new patient, they have to see me within a month, but as an internal referral it just goes to the clinic and they will put new patients first :roll: who makes up these stupid rules? :x

myathenia gravis is an auto-immune disease, which weakens all the muscles. Sometimes it is mild and doesn't get to bad others it effects every muscle in the body which we control, it can effect swollowing talking, breathing, walking. Its like a lot of these things, noone knows exactly what will happen, but the longer you stay the same the more likely you are not to get worse. One of the early symptoms is fatige, which I get, double vision, which I get when tired, and sore muscles, especially the arms, which I get. I have trouble lifting my arms up and they really ache. I know I'm jumping the gun, as they are only trying to do the best for me and if it is this problem, the sooner they know, the sooner they can give medication, which can help stop it getting worse. Many people live fairly normal lives with it. Ohhhh.....B........r, as I read this, I think maybe I'm being too pesimistic (or drama queen :wink: )

As for the neck, the mri showed that the piece of bone thats
    causing the pain is very small, but in in place that would be quite risky to operate on and they want to leave it if they can, which I am happy with at the moment.

I think some of the shock is wearing of a bit. I'm glad, though my Gp questioned the lack of notes. Thanks & lots of love Sue xxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Oh Sue, aren't we sometimes our own worst enemy? I too worried my self sick by looking up stuff on the 'net.

Try to stay positive hun.
  • magenta
    Hi Sue,
    You're not being pessimistic or a drama queen-just worried. I know I would be the exact same.
    Thinking of you,
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    Thanks everyone, it is a worry but I'll just have to wait and see. It does'nt help that I used to work with people who had MS and other neuro conditions :? :wink: Sue. xxx
  • magenta
    I'm the same. I've to go for another ct scan on my neck (got a 'funny' mass in cheek) and they want to make sure it's not growing-argh! I work with children with cancer and I keep thinking-it's a tumour!
    Magenta x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    woodbon wrote:
    Thanks everyone, it is a worry but I'll just have to wait and see. It does'nt help that I used to work with people who had MS and other neuro conditions :? :wink: Sue. xxx

Sue, your were really kind to me when I first joined and I wish I could help you back. I know fear from self diagnosis and I also have been 'ear marked' as having nuro problems especially m/s on and off for the last 9 years. So far I have had 3 brain scans and all have ruled it out. My neck is the most likely culprite, I hope so much they see you soon and you find your worring about things you have not got and don't need to worry about.

I worked in the NHS as well and we are the worst for thinking we have things, I'm sure we are! I wish I could offer you more help but I am thinking of you and hope it all goes well. Take Care. :)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    woodbon wrote:

Hi Sue I'm sorry to hear your going through a bad time at the moment i know nothing about neuro or myatha thingy majig and i'm not going to look it up. Its just so awful when your not well and unsure. Try not to worry to much love i know its hard but you could be doing all that worry for nothing. i know the waiting and wondering gets to you and gets you down. Take care and keep your chin up
    Colin
  • woodbon
    colinone wrote:
    woodbon wrote:

Hi Sue I'm sorry to hear your going through a bad time at the moment i know nothing about neuro or myatha thingy majig and i'm not going to look it up. Its just so awful when your not well and unsure. Try not to worry to much love i know its hard but you could be doing all that worry for nothing. i know the waiting and wondering gets to you and gets you down. Take care and keep your chin up
    Colin
  • woodbon
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm feeling a lot more positive today and I've been looking through the posts, which shows that the medics often take a long time to decide what is really wrong with you :roll: Keeps them in work!

I saw the same dr as I saw last time but he was very different; explained everything and went through all the test results with me, so I think my gp must have said something :wink:
    Everyone is being so kind and after a good sleep, I've decided to just try and live eack day, not worry too much about whats round the corner. That dosn't mean I wont still get up tight until I know, I'm certainly no saint and not very patient! I'll give the letter time to get through, and then make an appointment to go and see my gp just for a talk. I looked at the mg site forum and people their seem to have the same sort of problems as us so if it is that its not the end of the world. :) Thanks again, love Sie xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Sue,

Glad you're beginning to feel more positive :D I think we're all the same that when we're told something every alarm jangling nerve in our body starts to ring and then gradually they settle down and we see things in a different light. Maybe it's part of our survival packaging and once we've got over that initial panic feeling things get better.

The waiting is the worst thing, once things are in motion and you know what you're up against you'll be feeling tons better. Don't take on board all you read about this condition in most illnesses there are different levels of severity and you may not even have it yet.

I'm sure everything will turn out fine it's just they have to rule everything out. Sending you a cyber hug ( ) and lots of positive vibes :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi, I know it's hard but try not to look on the net, you make yourself sick with worry doing that. If it's a bone spur pressing on the nerve they could operate on that to manipulate it a little, my uncle had same thing but with his sciatic nerve, he said after the Op it was like night and day, he couldn't believe the pain had gone just like that. Hopefully it will be good news for you, keep us posted xxxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Sue Glad your feeling a little better
    Colin