Typical Response from my Rheumy

jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
edited 30. Jan 2009, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have been told by my gp to contact the Rheumy nurse about my continued pain in joints, I rung her today, typically an answerphone, she is away for 2 weeks, so rung the Rheumy secretary and, guess what, my Rheumy is also away for 10 days, and my gp wants to get me an earlier appt than April 2nd!! No chance. I am really seriously thinking of asking for a 2nd opinion, I have heard that the Rheumy at Stepping Hill hospital is very good, I really cannot keep on with this constant pain, hands, wrists, ankles, elbows, I have RA, I should mention.

Any advice would be welcome love Jaspercatxx

Comments

• noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi jaspercat this does not sound good enough can you go back to your gp and tell him of these people being away or can you go to another hospital for another opinion we sometimes get choce of hospitals nowadays you cant put up with this non coperation when you are in so much pain arthuritis is bad enough with out this hassle if the pain gets to much can you get to A and E at least then you would get some treatement hopefyully all the best Chrisov I will be thinking of you
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Hi Jaspercat

Sounds a bit like getting an appointment at my doctors!

I have no suggestions or advice for you (sorry) as I am lucky so far and have not had any problems so I just thought I'd send you a hug!

((((()))))

Take Care
    pluggxx
  • jaspercat
    Hi Chrisov, I have to ring my gp on monday so I will tell him about people being away, sadly for me he says that my ESR is down to 4 and he thinks that I will need to manage the pain, as they do not know where the pain is coming from. He has given me some Tramadol, 224 of them, so if I wanted to do anything silly, and I don't, then I could.

However, I believe that we can cope with anything if we try hard enough love Jaspercatxxx
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi jaspercat can you not ring before monday have you a NHS walk in centre or something so you dont have to wait until Monday it is so easy to say manage the pain when they are not with it I have looked at all of my pills many times and felt what the heck is this all about but as you say we can cope with this as we have to and hopefully tomorrow things might be a wee bit better and you might get seen sooner all the very best Chrisov.
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Hi Jaspercat,
    I go to Stepping Hill (am assuming you mean the one in Stockport-have just looked at your profile and seen you hail from Macclesfield!) I've seen both the rheumatologist and the orthopaedic surgeon privately at the Alex and now see them at Stepping Hill. I find you can have a proper conversation with both of them and they don't talk down to you. I don't know if I'm allowed to say their names, but if not, I'll pass them on to you in a private email. My rheumatologist is Dr Ismail (think he's dr not mr, but there is more than one Dr Ismail, so make sure you specify rheumatology, and my orthopaedic consultant is Mr Dalal. I've never been treated as an inpatient (yet-might be in the pipeline) but have had steriod injections done as a day case, and have also seen physio, occ therapy, podiatry and the orthotist and have been happy with them all. (I am in no way connected with the hospital, by the way! :D ) I opted to go there rather than go a bit closer to home (I'm in Droylsden near Manchester) as I felt I was well treated by them both at the Alex, and it has continued under the NHS. I know this won't help your decision about what to do just at the moment, but if you do decide to get a second opinion, I thought it might be useful.
    Regards, Josie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    sorry to hear that you were finding it difficult to get incontact with anoyone about your pain.

If I ring to speak to my rheumy nurse and she is not there one of the other rheumy nurses will ring me back - I have never been without a response even when three of them were all off sick - so there is no excuse for them not having someone who can talk to you.

Seems strange how 'local' this 'national health service' is these days :roll: :wink:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I'm sorry that you've bee left in the lurch. Its horrible having to wait and when you're worried and in pain waiting is the last thing you need :roll: I don't know what to suggest, but hope you feel better soon. Love Suexx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Jaspercat,

If it was me I'd leave a message on the answerphone in case anyone's picking up your Rheumy Nurse's messages, then I'd ring your Rheumy's Secretary back, afterall, she should keep a diary for him or, she should be able to tell you where you can get help and then I'd phone your GP and tell him/her about the problems you're having geting an earlier appointment :shock:

There's no reason for you to be suffering silently when there's help out there.

I like to believe I'm assertive not bossy :shock: :wink::lol:

Hope you're feeling better very soon :D

Meanwhile here's a posy to help 017.gif

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jaspercat
    Hi Josie, thanks for the info, all very useful, I see Dr Knight at Macclesfied, she is ok but recently I have trouble getting an appt,
    thanks to all of you for replying, feel a little less miffed today, I am trying not to get annoyed about it all, I will have a chat with the gp on monday and see what what happens, if not much occurs I will have to assert myself love Jaspercatxx