PSORIATIC ARTHRITUS

yorkie
yorkie Member Posts: 57
edited 1. Feb 2009, 16:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I HAVE PSORIATIC ARTHRITUS AND HAVE BEEN TAKING METHOTREXATE FOR 12 WEEKS. IS THIS DRUG FOR LONG TERM USE?

Comments

• alison67
    alison67 Member Posts: 70
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Yorkie, i too,am on Methotrexate for Psoriatic Arthritis. I am having a month off at the moment as i have been on it since last September but keep getting bad headaches. In answer to your question, as far as i know, this is a long term medication, but please don't take my word for it. Check with your doctor or nurse. I will say though, that apart from the headaches, this treatment worked wonders for both my skin and joints, and i hope it does the same for you. Take care.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Yorkie,

Yes, it is for long term use - in fact it can be 6 weeks plus before you feel any improvement. You'll be monitored whilst you're taking it to make sure it's not upsetting your system. :)

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    hi,yes it is i was on it several years.
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    yorkie wrote:
    I HAVE PSORIATIC ARTHRITUS AND HAVE BEEN TAKING METHOTREXATE FOR 12 WEEKS. IS THIS DRUG FOR LONG TERM USE?

Hi Yorkie Sorry but yes its long term, I have now been on it three and a half years and i dont expect ever to come off it. But its not the last resort there are other drugs if it doesent work. I know it has side effects but not for all. The best thing for me is it cleard up my skin withinn a year now you would never know i had it. Its not been much good with the PA or Ra but my skin is like a babies LOL
    Any concerns you have with the drug talk to your Rheumy. it can be a long road for some with many ups and and downs. I understand your concerns about long term drug use i feel the same but its a catch 22 your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont Mine never really started working untill about 18 weeks. take care and try not to worry its bad for your skin and arthritis. Keep your chin up
    Colin
  • yorkie
    alison67 wrote:
    Hi Yorkie, i too,am on Methotrexate for Psoriatic Arthritis. I am having a month off at the moment as i have been on it since last September but keep getting bad headaches. In answer to your question, as far as i know, this is a long term medication, but please don't take my word for it. Check with your doctor or nurse. I will say though, that apart from the headaches, this treatment worked wonders for both my skin and joints, and i hope it does the same for you. Take care.

HI ALISON
    THANKS FOR REPLYING.I HAVE PA BUT I`VE NEVER HAD MUCH OF A PROBLEM WITH MY SKIN. THEY HAVE ONLY EVER BEEN SMALL PATCHES OF IT. OVER THE YEARS I MUST HAVE HAD ONLY THREE BAD FLARE UPS WHERE I WAS COVERED IN RED SPOTS EVEN ON MY EYE LIDS. IT LASTED A MONTH OR SO THEN THEY CLEARED UP. MY SISTER ON THE OTHER HAND HAS HAD BAD PSORIASIS SINCE SHE WAS 17. I SUFFER MORE WITH THE ARTHRITIS. I GET HEADACHES USUALLY THE FIRST TWO DAYS AFTER TAKEING METHO. HOPE TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN.. YORKIE
  • yorkie
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Yorkie,

Yes, it is for long term use - in fact it can be 6 weeks plus before you feel any improvement. You'll be monitored whilst you're taking it to make sure it's not upsetting your system. :)

Luv Legs :D

HI LEGS
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. I`VE BEEN ON IT JUST OVER 12 WEEKS AND AM BEGINNING TO GET MORE RELIEF NOW. ONLY THING IS JUST STARTED TO GET BETTER NIGHTS AND I GOT TENDERNESS AND SWELLING IN MY LEFT ARM AND HAND. DOC SAID IT WAS MILD PHLEABITUS (HOPE SPELLINGS RIGHT) SETTLEING NOW BUT WAS QUITE ALARMING AT FIRST.
    NICE TO CHAT TO YOU..YORKIE
  • yorkie
    redpoppy wrote:
    hi,yes it is i was on it several years.

HELLO REDPOPPY
    YOU SAY YOU WHERE ON METHO SEVERAL YEARS. ARE YOU IN REMISSON AND NO LONGER NEED THE DRUG?
    I HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER AND HAVE NOT HAD TO TRY ANOTHER DRUG.. YORKIE
  • yorkie
    colinone wrote:
    yorkie wrote:

Hi Yorkie Sorry but yes its long term, I have now been on it three and a half years and i dont expect ever to come off it. But its not the last resort there are other drugs if it doesent work. I know it has side effects but not for all. The best thing for me is it cleard up my skin withinn a year now you would never know i had it. Its not been much good with the PA or Ra but my skin is like a babies LOL
    Any concerns you have with the drug talk to your Rheumy. it can be a long road for some with many ups and and downs. I understand your concerns about long term drug use i feel the same but its a catch 22 your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont Mine never really started working untill about 18 weeks. take care and try not to worry its bad for your skin and arthritis. Keep your chin up
    Colin

HELLO COLIN
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT NICE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WITH SAME DISEASE AS MYSELF. I`M ONLY ON 10MG METHO WHAT STRENGTH DO YOU TAKE? YORKIE
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    HELLO COLIN
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT NICE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WITH SAME DISEASE AS MYSELF. I`M ONLY ON 10MG METHO WHAT STRENGTH DO YOU TAKE? YORKIE[/quote]

Hi Yorkie
    My arthrits is quite bad so i'm on a whole host of stuff
    Methotrexate 20mg injection
    Enbrel 50mg injection
    Celebrex 400mg caps a day
    Prednisolone 20mg caps a day
    and a host of other things

Take care
    Colin
  • yorkie
    colinone wrote:
    HELLO COLIN
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT NICE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WITH SAME DISEASE AS MYSELF. I`M ONLY ON 10MG METHO WHAT STRENGTH DO YOU TAKE? YORKIE

Hi Yorkie
    My arthrits is quite bad so i'm on a whole host of stuff
    Methotrexate 20mg injection
    Enbrel 50mg injection
    Celebrex 400mg caps a day
    Prednisolone 20mg caps a day
    and a host of other things

Take care

HI A FEW PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE MENTIONED ENBREL. IS THIS FOR ARTHRITIS? IF IT IS AND ALL THE OTHERS YOU LIST I AM AMAZED YOU HAVE TO TAKE AS MUCH. WHEN MY RHUMY PUT ME ON METHO I AM EXPECTING THAT WOULD BE IT SHORT TERM OR LONG TERM. DO WE PROGRESS IF ARTHRITIS GETS WORSE? OR DO WE DEVELOPE OTHER ILLNESSES THROUGH ARTHRITIS OR THROUGH THE DRUGS WE TAKE?
    Colin[/quote]