What type of exercise do you find useful?

scorpiojackie
scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
edited 3. Feb 2009, 13:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I find exercise difficult and I am physically limited to what I can do.
The OA parts of me feel better, less stiffness, the more I move about and exercise. But I find exercise can make my PA flare, if I do too much :shock:
Its such a balancing act, this 'arthur'..... with no instructions that come with it. lol

I try to walk outside daily (tho it is not as far as I would like :roll: )

I like the gentle stretching of Tai Chi. (The dvd I use is 'Tai Chi for Arthritis' by Dr Paul Lam)

I use a exercise bike for 5 Min's, at random times during the course of the day.

On the days I cant get outside, I try to make myself use the stairs at random times during the day.

I find relaxation times very important. I like to use deep breathing, listening to CD on relaxation or just some quiet 'me' time really beneficial.

I would be interested in what kind of exercise etc. that you all do, especially those of you who have psoriatic arthritis. :)

Jackie

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Jan 2009, 06:45
    Hi Jackie,

I have RA not PA/OA but I find that exercising in water helps - I'm more fortunate than alot because I have a disabled centre not far from where I live and they have a hydrotherapy pool that's open to the public. I know some people use the non swimmers pool at their local baths because they're often alot warmer than the main pool.

Walking is really good but my main exercise comes from doing the housework - there's always plenty to do or ignore depending on what sort of day I'm having :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, As this is all new to me I was concerned as to whether I should exercise or not!

At the moment I don't do any special exercise, just have a stroll outdoors every day. I'm having a lot of pain in one knee, and swelling, so don't know if I should use my exercise bike? I also have a 'step' machine - again don't know if I should use it?

I am definitely going to try aquarobics - when the weather is a bit better!

Oh, and last night, to 'lift' my mood I did a bit of dancing around the lounge to some of my fave music (mind you, my husband said "you'll be aching even more doing that.......).

I have been doing exercises for my stiff and swollen hands :)
  • jackie1955
    If (when :wink: ) my lottery numbers come up I'm going to buy a house with an indoor heated pool.................. :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    My motto is "use it or lose it". I do about 20 - 30 minutes stretching exercises 6 days out of 7. I am at the moment also doing physio exercises as well for my sciatica, neck and shoulder problems. I ride my bike locally ie not on long rides at least not this weather.

I use the stairs in the house a lot although my knees are not too keen well one is not keen at all, as I get upstairs do something and then when I get down I realise that I had not done what I went up there to do or get so up I clambour again! I love my mum's bungalow!!!!!

I do a couple of office/blocks of flats main area cleaning too so that is an exercise in itself. I often take a nap in the day too which I find theraputic.

We have a garden and allotment that I like to help "look after".

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • scorpiojackie
    Hi,

Yes I would love to go swimming, use to go alot when I was younger.
    I know it would benefit me and my joints sooo much but because my psoriasis is so widespread I am too embarrassed to go into a pool with others.(I don't even like looking at me when I put my creams on :cry: )
    Years ago when I use to swim & I only had a few patches of Psoriasis I was very aware of others looking, even had people thinking they could catch it!

Now days, I'm not sure if my vastly increased weight or the attractive 'reptile' appearance would upset people the most :roll: Would love to have my own pool :)

Jackie
  • lindalegs
    Some ladies who like to go swimming but are embarrassed to reveal their flesh wear tee-shirts and leggings - have you ever thought about covering up like that?

You have to take care of your joints and movement in the water is excellent, it would also help tone up your muscles with the water resistance and could assist weight loss too even if you're just walking up and down and sideways across the width of the pool. If you can overcome your embarrassment you're in a win win situation unless your GP/rheumy has said otherwise.

Love, Legs x
  • scorpiojackie
    lindalegs wrote:
    Some ladies who like to go swimming but are embarrassed to reveal their flesh wear tee-shirts and leggings - have you ever thought about covering up like that?

You have to take care of your joints and movement in the water is excellent, it would also help tone up your muscles with the water resistance and could assist weight loss too even if you're just walking up and down and sideways across the width of the pool. If you can overcome your embarrassment you're in a win win situation unless your GP/rheumy has said otherwise.

Was unaware that you could wear leggings etc in public pools.... thanks for the Idea Legs, going to check that out with my local leisure centres.
    If not maybe some of the holiday parks/ hotels nearby wouldn't mind a 'strange clothed woman' using their pools... at quiet times!

Cheers Legs you have given me some hope of water exercise becoming a reality :D

Jackie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs wrote:

Was unaware that you could wear leggings etc in public pools.... thanks for the Idea Legs, going to check that out with my local leisure centres.
    If not maybe some of the holiday parks/ hotels nearby wouldn't mind a 'strange clothed woman' using their pools... at quiet times!

Cheers Legs you have given me some hope of water exercise becoming a reality :D

Jackie

You should be okay as I know Muslim women have to do this to use a public pool so if they can, you can........?

Love, Legs x
  • woodie
    woodie Member Posts: 10
    I wish I could go swimming, but, I can't swim :shock: and I'm too embarressed to just splash around. Love Sue xx
  • lindalegs
    I can't swim anymore either but walking in the water supports your joints yet moves them to their full extent. I also stand and hold onto the side to do exercises, even if it's just bending my knees. You should give it a try (although you should mention it to your GP first) you'll probably find it very beneficial :D

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Ballet yes that’s what I find best not only does it help you stay supple but it relaxes the mind. Another good one I find is laying on my back totally relaxed whilst my Kay feeds me strawberries and pampers my every need.
    Then I wake up and realise I can’t remember when I last had a need and all the Exercise I can cope with is getting out of bed and down the stairs. Anyway I don’t think I would look good in tights.
    Colin
  • jackie1955
    Colin, I was sooo impressed when I started reading the first couple of lines - ye gods, he does ballet I thought :shock:

I love your humour :!:
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    hi jackie

I know it was light hearted but exercise is so important. My goal today was getting My food from my plate to my mouth without spilling it and making a mess. I’m in a bit of a flair and nothing works. I think swimming or going to the baths is about the best thing but at the moment I’m a bit to sick rheumy wont even let me do hydrotherapy but I’m still getting out and about. I worry about
    exsercise and the lack of it, but i just had 4 rounds of toast with lashings of butter What can you do i have to keep my strength up incase i do get fit one day. Take care
    Colin
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    love swimming :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
    love the hydrotheropy :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
    love dancing :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
    from joanne price
    Joanne
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Ok, you've convinced me, today I am going to take me bones to the gym to remind them of what they used to do.

I shall watch my old body combat class through the window and then have me a walk whilst watching the gym tv.

Thanks for the motivation guys and as always the smile and lift I get from reading some of these posts.(Colin - ballet :lol: )

Love to all

Pluggxx
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Swimming is good, even walking about in the water helps. But I wish the water wasn't soooo cold in my local pool! Had some hydrotherapy a while back and it was beautiful.
    If I can't get to the pool or am too lazy to go, I do exercises in the bath, like trying to touch my toes (well alright, then, knees) and laying back as slowly as I can. Aslo pushing against the end of the bath and the sides with both legs. This way I can kid myself that pure self-indulgence (does anyone else have tea and toast in the bath?) is really getting me fit.
    :wink:
    JeanP
  • sarahbenn
    sarahbenn Member Posts: 39
    right ive decided im taking my 3 kids swimming this weekend not only will it be fun for them it should hopefully benefit my aching joints :D