METHOTREXATE AND WATER

yorkie
yorkie Member Posts: 57
edited 31. Jan 2009, 11:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I`VE BEEN ON METHOTREXATE 12 WEEKS. I HAVE READ IN BOOKLETS GIVEN TO ME TO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER WHILE TAKING IT. THE DAY I TAKE IT AND THE DAY AFTER WITH THE FOLIC ACID I TRY TO DRINK AS MUCH AS I CAN ,BUT AS THE WEEK GOES ON IT GETS LESS AND LESS. I AM A TEA DRINKER GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE TEA... IS THE WATER TO FLUSH OUT THE CHEMICAL AFTER ITS DONE ITS JOB IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS? OR IS IT SLOW RELEASE AND I SHOULD REALLY DRINK MORE WATER ALL THE TIME? I DO GET HEADACHES ESPECIALLY THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS. I HAVE HAD BAD DAYS AT THE END OF THE WEEK JUST BEFORE MY METHO DAY TOO. I AM UNHAPPY TAKING THIS DRUG AND WOULD LIKE TO THINK IT COULD BE FLUSHED OUT QUICKLY BY DRINKING WATER AS I WORRY WHAT EFFECT IT IS HAVING ON THE REST OF MY BODY.
IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT ON THIS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
YORKIE

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Yorkie,

This one's new to me :!: I drink tea and coffee and only have a glass of hot water with my meal (I don't 'do' cold drinks unless it's chilled white wine :wink: ). I probably don't drink as much water as I should but I've never been advised to increase my intake with my Mtx

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Yorkie we meet again so soon, It sounds to me like you’re a bit down I have never heard of the water thing with methotrexate been on it over three years. Ok I know you have had the PA for a long time you’re a bit like me I have had RA and PA for nearly 30 years but its only been bad for the last four, I wish now that I had been taking the drugs long ago and perhaps I would not be so bad today. It sounds to me as though it is getting worse for you as the years go by or indeed the months. When Arthur starts to dig his feet in it does become hard to deal with both physically and emotionally and being the independent type it will strike you harder emotionally. You have no choice but to come to terms with your illness it is not going away, at best they can slow it down or put it in remission but alas no cure. All drugs have side effects but that doesn’t mean you will suffer them. I assume you have tried other drugs prior to methotrexate so you will know what I’m talking about. All my life I have been scared of being ill, hospitals and drugs, it took me all my time to take a couple of paracetomol for a head ache lol. So I know how you feel and hey I’m still scared.
    You have to make a decision Yorkie can you cope with or without medication for me there was no choice I had to take it I could not cope with the pain any longer. The other problem is if you don’t treat it will get worse so it’s a bit of a catch 22. I wish I had excepted treatment years ago and perhaps I would not be so ill today. I have a chest infection its going into its 4th week and they have stopped my methotrexate and enbrel I phoned my rheumy nurse yesterday and begged for a shot of the Depot injection but I cant have it because of the chest. I’m climbing the wall cant remember when I slept and feel like S—T just hope I get the all clear from GP on Monday so that I can get back on the drugs that I never wanted to take lol. Talk to your Rheumy tell your fears and worries or have a good chat with your GP. I one talked to the Rheumy about the fear of becoming ill kidneys liver and such and he said no no no its not the hard drugs it’s the pain killers that do it. So Yorkie chat to them and tell them how you feel spill out all your fears. How is your psoriasis at the moment, its no good me telling you about stress hey. Do try to stop worrying I know what your scared of and I know how it feels. All the worry in the world wont fix it. Take care and keep you chin up. Oh one more point if you can get help take it anybody offering to help you out is hard to except but when you do to much it does as you know make you worse. Now give me hug and ill catch you later.
    Colin
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Colin, so sorry you're feeling poorly at the moment and hope you feel better very soon.

I would like to add that my experience of arthritis is different to yours and that mine was at it's worst at the beginning and over the 23 years I've had it, it has got better. I've had a couple of bad flares over the years but things for me at the moment are good so I'm keeeping my fingers crossed whoops :oops: well I would if I could :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'