Kidney problems and RA

Options
daimler
daimler Member Posts: 68
edited 1. Feb 2009, 18:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi peeps, i have RA, and suspect may have lupus too :( now i have kidney problems, i had a kidney stone about 3 years ago, now i have excrutiating pain in the right kidney accompanied terrible back pain, i went to docs he tested urine, i have blood, white cells, protein, and debris, in my urine, doc sent me straight to hospital for x-ray of kidneys, also made an appointment for ultra sound, has anyone else got kidney probs :?: jacqxxx

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Jacq - as if you haven't got enough to put up with :roll:

I have RA but no kidney problems so far.........

Luv Legs :D

PS Didn't you once have 9 hairs and a nit :?: :lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    [quote="daim
    Hi Daimler Just out of interest do have one.
    I have Ra and PA been on methotrexate and other stuff fot over 3 years. abot six months into methotrexate got the same with urine sample had a blockage in my tube a stone was stuck going from kidney to bladder so it was a quick op to remove it. then i got kidney stones on my right and the removed them, Then Gal stones and had to have my gal bladder removed. Low and behold i now have a kiney stone in left kidney and surgeon refuses to remove it because of all the drugs i'm on the plan is to leave it untill i cant cope with it good plan hey lol however i'm only in pain with it from time to time. I have been told Methotrexate can cause this but Rheumy says no what else would she say. All i can say is its said to be the worse pain known to man other the RA and man flu lol
    Hope you get it sorted soon take care
    Colin
  • daimler
    Options
    Yes, i now have 22 hairs 3 nits and a spot :shock: of all the things a SPOT :shock: jacqxx
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I've had kidney stones for a number of years, perhaps passing one or two a year.

And yes, it's the worse pain known to man :shock: :lol: but gas and air or pethidine soon make it a distant memory :lol:

Over the past couple of weeks I've had to provide a few samples of urine for analysis because of blood and protein and have just had a call from the doctor to say he's referring me to the local renal unit for further investigation.

He's of the opinion that it's probably the RA drugs causing the problem but he wants a firm diagnosis. I've no idea what they'll do if it is the drugs as my RA is fairly stable at the moment so I'd hate to have to come off any of the drugs.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the cure is worse than the disease :?

Patrick
  • daimler
    Options
    Hi peeps, i'm a bit confused with myself lol, i have RA but i am not on any drugs because i cannot tolerate dmards :roll: i think i have tried the lot :o , rheumy said he is not giving me any more, and i have to have a bone scan next week, the pain is wicked in my back and on my right side, i have tried to keep moving today to see if it will dislodge, but i am just knackered now and still have the pain :shock:, last time i had it i was sweating and shivering, and i was an awful colour :x doc did say if the pain gets unbearable to ring him, which i did, and could not get past the receptionist, think i will be heading for A&E soon, when i had the x-ray thursday i asked the lady who done it could she see anything, she just looked at me and said well i'm not sure ,hmm i thought, i could tell she could see something you will have to wait for the results 10 day's :shock: blimey i could be kicking up the daisy's by then :mrgreen: in the mean time still waiting for ultra sound :roll: jacqxx
  • daimler
    Options
    Hi, my husband said the worst pain known to man is when i pluck his earholes :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: i don't know what he would do if he had kidney stones, probably give birth to one :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi there

Yes, I have kidney problems, but they are slightly disimilar from yours. Protein in your urine signifies a urinary tract infection. Additionally if you have a kidney infection your white blood cell count would be higher because your body is trying to fight the infection. Blood, pus etc all signs. Do you have flank pain? Pain in your side and towards your back which is relieved when you massage it? This is typical of a UTI. Also if your urine is dark, strong smelling, cloudy or has blood in it a UTI is the likely cause. It really depends on the severity of the infection. You should be prescribed antibiotics. UTI's are very common but if you have them increasingly this could be cause for concern. My kidney infections were constant from the day I was born, I was diagnosed with kidney reflux, this is when your urine does not flow properly into your bladder. The urine backs up into your kidneys, if the urine is contaminated there would be kidney damage. This would take years to happen, in my case 5. They grade it I-V. V being the most severe, the only option in these cases is surgery, remove the ureters and reimplant. This is what I had. But reassuringly this is very rare indeed. Drink water as much as you can to flush out the bad stuff. And if your not on antibiotics get them, if it is a UTI and left untreated you could become very sick. You will probably go to urology for a scan to rule out any damage or kidney stones. Best of luck
  • daimler
    Options
    Hi, funny thing was the doctor said i did not have a wee infection :o , but he put me on cefalexin antibiotics :o, just waiting to see what the results are now from the x-ray. what if the stones have damaged my kidney :?: will i have to have dialysis :cry: ohh i just want to know what it is now, jacqxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Jacq!!!
    I see you're not doing too good :(
    Glad to hear yoiu are growing extra hairs...have you transplanted them from your hubby's ears??!!! Look after those little nits and their alter-egos 'The Zits"!
    If there's anything to worry about on the x-ray you should hear a darn sight earlier than 10 days. I had protein in my urine when I had pre-eclampsia with my eldest. Think it meant that my kidneys weren't working properly. Ok now had a bottle of something (not to drink - in my arm), cured when the little darling was born :wink:
    I do hope all is well with you (if not for you for those nitties) and hope you let us know soon that all is well.
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Cephalexin is one of the most commonest prescribed antibiotics for UTI's. No infection? sheesh, some Dr then. I've spent 33 years in and out of urology and protein and high white blood cell count almost always = infection. As previous poster said, in pregnancy, protein is a sign of pre-eclampsia. Possible you may have damage but very unlikely it would be significant. Reassuringly, dialysis is highly unlikely. My kidney function is 58%,42% and I've never had to have it. As I said earlier, it took 5 years of no working ureters to cause that damage, that was the 70's, this would never happen these days. But get your scan ASAP just to make sure. And again, drink plenty fluids as much as you can. You could also try making a fluid chart. Mark when you have had drinks, how much and when you need to pee, either measuring the urine or guessing. If you do that and urinate frequently then it's a good sign.