First reaction from the Manager

denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
Hi all,
I saw consultant 2 weeks ago and was told I had OA and will need a hip replacement, but will get cortisone injection to try see if that helps, so last Monday I told my Manager (I work part time in a shop) who said "can you do your job" and ""are you taking a holiday when you need to go into hospital for it done". I hadnt expected a great reception when I told her but I didnt expect the reaction that I got. I was still in shock and upset at just finding out what was wrong with me and her lack of compassion didnt help, I was shaking I was so angry. This conversation had taken place over the phone, I had spoken to her the day after and she never mentioned it, the conversation was strictly work. Then on Friday she turned up at the shop and asked for a word with me were she appologised to me for sounding as if she didnt care. She said as soon as she put down the phone she realised it had sounded as if she only cared about my ability to do my job. Its a shame that it took her all week to get back to me when all she had to do was pick up the phone and apologise straight away.
I dont know if its my suspisous mind but I dont believe a word of her apology I think it came far loo late.
What does everyone else think?
Denise.

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    denpen wrote:
    Hi all,
    I saw consultant 2 weeks ago and was told I had OA and will need a hip replacement, but will get cortisone injection to try see if that helps, so last Monday I told my Manager (I work part time in a shop) who said "can you do your job" and ""are you taking a holiday when you need to go into hospital for it done". I hadnt expected a great reception when I told her but I didnt expect the reaction that I got. I was still in shock and upset at just finding out what was wrong with me and her lack of compassion didnt help, I was shaking I was so angry. This conversation had taken place over the phone, I had spoken to her the day after and she never mentioned it, the conversation was strictly work. Then on Friday she turned up at the shop and asked for a word with me were she appologised to me for sounding as if she didnt care. She said as soon as she put down the phone she realised it had sounded as if she only cared about my ability to do my job. Its a shame that it took her all week to get back to me when all she had to do was pick up the phone and apologise straight away.
    I dont know if its my suspisous mind but I dont believe a word of her apology I think it came far loo late.
    Denise.

My thoughts.......yet another example of the type of person it takes to be a Manager!!
    she probably realised she put her foot in it, bit late mind you.
    On guard!!!
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    That isn't what you need to hear, is it?? Grr! Maybe she is genuine (I hope so!), but was very slow to admit it, like you say! I suppose time will tell-remind her of it when you ask for time off for your op! Regards, Josie
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    denpen wrote:
    Hi all,
    Denise.

Hi Denise

Is the shop you work in part of a chain? If so, it should have proper procedures for things like having time off for an operation and 'reasonable adjustments' if you need them. Even if it's just one shop on its own, they need to follow the legal requirements.

I'm not a legal expert (though I'm pretty sure you don't have to take holiday to have an operation) but I would suggest you look into this (maybe Citizen's Advice Bureau?) - or someone on this site should be able to advise you. Given the initial reaction, I think you need to 'be prepared' so that if they try and pressurise you, you'll know how you stand.

Good luck and let us know how things go

Wendy
  • denpen
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply It is a chain of shops that I work for, when she said I could take holidays for hospital appointments because the company only pay you 3 days in a year sick pay so its SSP if you are off I told her I will not be taking my holidays as I will need them throughout the year and I will just take it as unpaid sick from them. I read my terms & contitions and "for any sick leave taken after this period, company sick pay will be made at the discretion of the Department Manager" so obviously she doesnt have any compassion or descretion, and to top it all off the day after all this happened I fell down the stairs and injured my arm so now I have been off sick for a week.
    It just goes from bad to worse.
    Denise
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi, that's not the kind of response you want at all, you are still accepting your condition and need support right now. I understand your suspicions, yes she could have been feeling guilty but a part of me would wonder if she had mentioned it to someone and they had chastised her for it. I would read up as much as you can on the DDA, google it and you'll find loads of useful info. It really helps to know your rights in the workplace with regards to your disability. It has been known for companies guidelines to be in breach of DDA rules. Even where I work, where you would expect them to know better, people have already taken them to tribunals and won. x
  • denpen
    Thanks for that, yeah I too think that someone had a word with her because her whole attitude had changed she was then telling me not to do anything that I cant do, I replied that I was not going to lift or do anything that would cause me any more pain. I am now very wary of what I say.
    Denise
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Denise, are you in a union? I hope you are. I do not attend any meetings regarding my work ( I am on long term sick leave just now) and will continue to keep them involved when I return. Linda
  • denpen
    HI linda
    No I am not in a union, I havent been in work since this happened with the manager because I fell down the stairs and hurt my arm, but I think I am returning next Monday, so I shall see what happens then, there is not a lot they can do because I do my job just the same as the others.
    Denise
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Oh Denise I hope your arm is ok. I will be thinking of you and hope your manager comes to her sences. Linda