MTX AND ST JOHN'S WORT?

alison67
alison67 Member Posts: 70
Hi, does anyone know if it's o.k to take St John's Wort whilst taking mtx? I did ask a pharmacist who said it's fine, but various internet sites say otherwise. Would be grateful for any knowledge you may have on this. Thanks.x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Alison,

I've tried to come up with an answer from our main sources and am having to do a bit more research. But on the whole st johns' wort does get mentioned for having some drug interactions, so it's not the kind of supplement that you'd want to take chances with.

I'd imagine you'd need to get the green light from your rheumatologist to be on the safe side.

For our part I'm hoping to have a reply from our information service within 24hrs.

Hope that helps
    Guy
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Alison,

Our information team have come up with some information which notes that both mtx and st johns wart may increase sensitivity to the sun, but we are still not sure if they are ok to use together.

all the best

Guy
  • alison67
    alison67 Member Posts: 70
    Hi Alison,

Our information team have come up with some information which notes that both mtx and st johns wart may increase sensitivity to the sun, but we are still not sure if they are ok to use together.

all the best

Guy

Thank you for your help. I have spoken to one of the doctors at my health centre and he says it's o.k to take St John's Wort whilst on mtx.x