Gout diagnosed but can't take meds as on warfarin

Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
For once I'm asking for your help for someone else - not myself! :shock: :wink:

My mother-in-law has arthritis, (OA I think) and is diabetic & has a heart condition.

If that list wasn't enough, She has recently been experiencing excruciating pain in her feet which has been making any walking at all very painful. The doctor has decided (having taken loads of blood tests yesterday) that it is gout ......... but they can't give her the 'usual' gout treatment because she takes warfarin.

The only help they have given is to take regular paracetamol (which she is reluctant to do, but will give a go) but there was no advice about diet other than to avoid red meat and red wine (she's tea-total !)

I have downloaded the AC leaflet about Gout for her, which has some good suggestions in. but just wondered whether you could suggest any other dietary advice or management tips, or where she could go for more detailed advice.

Unfortunately she has to fight hard to get a GP to visit, and is very unlikely to be referred to a dietician etc (and may well not go anyway :oops: :oops: ) as gettint out and about for her is very hard.

thanks a lot for any advice.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Wonkylegs
    Sorry to hear this. Your mother in law is so restricted as to what she can take for pain as Warfarin interacts badly with so many medications.
    She should avoid the foods containing Purines such as red meat and yeast extracts e.g. Marmite, and drink plenty of fluids.
    Good dietary information can be found on this site
    http://www.arthritis.co.za/gout.html
    If the bedclothes feel heavy at night she can get a bed cradle ( from Occupational Therapist at Social Services) to keep the weight off. Sometimes a cold pack on the inflamed joint can relieve pain.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • Wonkylegs
    thank you so much for that super link. :D:D

and for responding so quickly - wasn't expecting that! :o

She will have something to think about now, and at least will be able to feel that she can do something to make a difference.

She sounded brighter when I rang the second time having emailed the first lot of info, which she will have been able to look at tonight.

Thank you again - what a wonderful lot you are at helpline towers.
  • Wonkylegs
    just thought I'd let you know that my Mum-in-law rang the GP surgery on Friday to enquire about the blood results. She actually was callled back by the GP and he has said that the blood tests confirm gout, and when this attack has died down there is some medication that she will be able to take ..... so that is a relief!

She is feeling much more positive now, and that is a lot to do with having more information and having been able to ask the right questions as a result.

thanks again for your help and advice.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Glad to know things are a bit better.
    Val
  • Wonkylegs
    just brought this up to the top again as Montyw was asking for dietary advice re: Gout and I remembered this really good link the helpline gave.
  • Wonkylegs
    just bringing this to the top again as it was a topic on LWA tonight
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Bumping again for Chris