OH appointment-knew it would happen!

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
Hiya,
I've been off work now for 5wks-due to see dr on Monday about either signing me off again or letting me go back to work. I don't know how I feel about it. Anyway, this is the first time in 7yrs I've been off work due to my arthritis. Cutting a long story short, 7rs ago, I had to go to OH and they wanting to dismiss me on grounds of ill-health but didn't recognise seroneg arthritis as a condition so I wouldn't get my sickness pension!
I received a letter from my line-manager today about having referred me to OH because of my recent absence. They say it's detailed in sickness policy-which I haven't got. They say it's 'a discussion' about any health concerns I may have and when I will be fit to go back to work. I could be back Monday! I'm worried now that they're going to find a way of booting me out. I'm annoyed that others in my work don't get pulled up for their sickness (worse than mine :shock: ). Should I be worried and if there are any other NHS employees out there-can you help out re policy? Thanks,
Magenta x

Comments

• denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Magenta
    I have no knowledge of NHS policies but there must be many out there who do.
    Good Luck and dont let them grind you down stay positive.
    Denise.x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I'm not an NHS employee, but my workplace medical decisions are made on the advice of the NHS. I work for the County Council.

Our conditions state that the line manager has to refer you to occy h. if their is any doubt that you will be fit to work or if you will need special conditions i.e. reduced hours starting back or part-time, limitted hours on shift, light duties, and what sort of work is appropriate. The first time I saw the dr. I had only been of work, like you, about 5-6 weeks. He asked me to sign to say he could ask my GP for a report, which I did. His report, which was copied to me, HR, and my line manager, was that I needed at least 2 months to have an MRI and treatment which I was undergoing, compleated. Before any final advice could be given. He was very up front with me and told me that he did not see that he would be able to advice my return to work, as this is the 2nd time in 2 years I've had extended leave and he did not feel it would be in my interest to return to my job. He has now called me back, after my neuro appointment. This will be to discuss my current condition. He told me that he thought possible release of pension on medical grounds, would be the course of action he would follow, but this was'nt an official decision and he only told me to see how I felt. But he wanted to give me the chance of treatment and recovery.

I certainly, so far feel that this is fair treatment, but will have to wait until later next month to be sure.

I hope this hasn't bored you :roll: As I don't know it it is relevent to NHS Staff. Also the council is not under any obligation to follow his advice, I think.

I hope you get on well and they treat you consideratly. Do you have a union to talk too they could help I would think. Surely its in your employers intrest to have an experienced workforce and all you the time to get back, if you need it. Love Suel
  • magenta
    Thanks to you both,
    I'm probably making more out of it but it's because of what happened before. I'm probably going back to work Monday but I don't know until I speak to my dr. I have been thinking about reducing my hours again but feel frustrated. I feel like they're making more out of my absence than they should be. It's the first time in 7yrs and who knows when the next absence will be?
    I will see my union rep when I get back. There are others with disabilities that still work full-time but actually 'work' for about 60% of the time-but they still get full-time wages :x And never get hauled up to OH. Why me?
    Magenta x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Magenta,
    I would be more wary than worried. It's because it's a likely chronic condition and not the normal sickness they get edgy. I worked for the NHS when I was injured and they did try and get me to resign after only 3 months, saying that it was obvious I couldn't lift again and there were no such thing as light duties. It was a long time ago for me, but it's probably wise to see your rep and just see what they are trying to do. things have changed and so has the law but back then they were quite heavy handed in trying to get me to resign. I did always think since they were the health authority they should have been a little more understanding! Unless contract are different they can't do much about you just now and maybe they are just seeing if they can help? It has all changed since my day so I can't really help, I just know how nasty my lot got! Any way you take care, Cris
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    hi magenta i know how upsetting this is for you i just wanted to let you know i support you and wish you the best. i cannot understand how seronegative is not recognised as a condition when the effects are so real and cause so much pain and distress. try to hang on in there do what is best for you. let us know how you get on from joanne :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Joanne
  • magenta
    hi magenta i know how upsetting this is for you i just wanted to let you know i support you and wish you the best. i cannot understand how seronegative is not recognised as a condition when the effects are so real and cause so much pain and distress. try to hang on in there do what is best for you. let us know how you get on from joanne :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks Joanne,
    I'm now stressed about what to do tomorrow when I see my dr. Do I go back to work to shut them all up or take more time off and stuff them :lol:
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi Magenta,
    You probablly won't see this untill Monday, but good luck! For me, at least waiting is the hardist part, so hopefully, you'll be past that and starting on finding solutions. Anyway, I'll be thinking of you :) Good luck and remember the saying its the things we worry about most that never happen! :):):) Love Sue xxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi magenta you should be able to download the policy from the net try having a look for it. I don’t work for NHS but have had some ecperiance
    You need to take union rep with you to the interview that will probably take place after the OH appointment. But talk to the union anyway and tell them of your fears. If you tell the OH you wish to return to work don’t give them a date tell them your still under the GP or hospital and you need to wait for them to sign you off. But do talk to your rep and I do hope he or she is a good rep. take care colin
  • magenta
    colinone wrote:
    Hi magenta you should be able to download the policy from the net try having a look for it. I don’t work for NHS but have had some ecperiance
    You need to take union rep with you to the interview that will probably take place after the OH appointment. But talk to the union anyway and tell them of your fears. If you tell the OH you wish to return to work don’t give them a date tell them your still under the GP or hospital and you need to wait for them to sign you off. But do talk to your rep and I do hope he or she is a good rep. take care colin

Thanks Colin,
    I've tried to get it from net and can't find it :shock: I'll be talking to my rep next week.
    Thanks again,
    Magenta x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi magenta sorry you are having a rough ride re work sorry i cant offer any advise ,but just hope you can get it sorted , take care xxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    [Magenta x[/quote]

Hello magenta how did you get on ? very hard thing this but we are here to support you from joanne price
    Joanne
  • magenta
    Hiya,
    Thanks Scottishlass-I did find something on web and it did state what you said i.e. long-term, anything more than 27 calender days hence my referral I suppose. I'm just worried because years ago it was OH that wanted to dismiss me on ill health grounds.

I was at drs today and it went better than I thought. I wanted to go back to work but deep down I know I'm not ready. He wanted me to be signed off for another 2wks but I told him about OH. We both came up with me going back next Thursday so I'll only be back for 2 days then be off over a weekend. He was very supportive-told me I can phone him if I have any problems. When I told him about OH and they might want me to reduce my hours he said 'don't say anything about changing anything and just tell them you're under the care of a rhuemy and will get treatment'. I just panic-I already had visions of us all eating cabbage soup cos I'd be out of a job :lol:
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    [Magenta x

Hello magenta how did you get on ? very hard thing this but we are here to support you from joanne price[/quote]

Thanks Joanne-and to all of you! I can't believe the support that you all give to me-thank you :wink:
    Magenta xxxx