Workplace assessment

Options
josiec
josiec Member Posts: 386
Hi everyone,
Today I've had my workplace assessment through Access to Work, and as I know there are some other teachers on here, I thought I'd share it. It took over 2 hours, very pleasant lady, looked at all my working areas, which as I work over several different classrooms, took a while. She has recommended an adjustable height desk with chair, a chair for classroom use, a different mouse and keyboard and grips for pens (which I already have). Her report goes back to AtW who decide how much, if anything, they will fund. It then goes to my employer to see if they are willing to contribute anything (as are all recommendations there is no obligation). Need to speak to head though, as would feel awful if school had to make a large outlay-wouldn't mind if it was the LEA, but am not employed by them. It doesn't seem fair that the school has to lay out financially when they don't get any extra money for me being there in the first place and budgets are so tight. :?

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, don't worry, you'd be amazed at how much they will actually be prepared to spend to enable you to do your job. My work just spent 3k on a chair for me and I went in last week to try it out. They are seriously stingy. Honestly, I could have wheeled that sucker out the door. Employing disabled people when the right adjustments have been made is very beneficial to employers, it actually means you are less likely to go off sick.
  • josiec
    Options
    Thanks for you reply, it just worries me that I wasn't classed as disabled when employed, so neither they nor I knew there would be additional expense involved a few years down the line. I just hope it doesn't come out of school budget. Will have to see what Monday brings!
  • sadandshocked2
    sadandshocked2 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Thanks for you reply,
    Hi Josiec, i have similar problems, i work for local gov at a homeless hostel and h&s for residents is very hot, just in case they sue, but for staff its a joke. I share my workstation with ten other people, and its just a farce.
    Please keep records of your assessment just in case it goes further.I have had a OH assessment and a H&S assessment, both quite unbelievably useless. But i have kept records, and can prove my OA has not been helped by broken furniture, and recomendations by assessors who've been to visit me have been ignored. This is more imp than you'll know, yet. It is up to your employer to realise these recomendations, not you. My boss uses ergonomic furniture, (!) I have broken which has caused me unspeakable pain, and no quality of life, made me suicidally depressed. Take care :oops:
  • sweetpea
    sweetpea Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Josie

Thanks for updating us on your assessment and I am pleased for you that it went well. It has certainly highlighted areas for me where adjustments in my classroom will make a difference...I am definitely not the size of my 5/6 year olds so will be pressing to get a proper adjustable chair and table at the right height-halleluyah!!! How did it go on Monday? Did you find out whether it is coming out of the school budget? Unfortunately with arthritis it is hard to foresee that adjustments bringing on additional expenses will be needed. I had PA for 7 years when I joined my present school but I was so well controlled on the drugs that no-one had any idea (including me) that I would need any adjustments. I suppose it's just one of those things that we don't have much control over and am sure everyone (school, children, parents and gov etc) would much rather we were working even if there is a bit of an outlay-I'm sure it works out cheaper in the long run than being on sick leave etc.
    Looking forward to hearing how Monday went... :) Tc
  • josiec
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry haven't been on much this week-working whilst getting over a stomach bug has taken it out of me! I've had a bit of a chat with the head, she told me not to worry, it may come from LEA not school, and if it doesn't, she said 600 quid in the grand scheme of things isn't much anyway and is my entitlement. (I am immensely thankful for my supportive workplace, know I'm lucky!) It's gone to HR, we are waiting to hear back, so no more news as yet. Thanks for asking, take care
    Josie :wink:
  • josiec
    Options
    Hi, just thought I'd update you on AtW: head has spoken to HR and school is liable for costs, not LEA, which I would have preferred, as don't like thought of it coming from school. However, head has told me to go ahead so all equipment has been ordered now. Apparently HR thought we had done well with AtW supplementing two thirds of the cost! Am very grateful for supportive management!
    Regards, Josie :)
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Hi, just thought I'd update you on AtW: head has spoken to HR and school is liable for costs, not LEA, which I would have preferred, as don't like thought of it coming from school. However, head has told me to go ahead so all equipment has been ordered now. Apparently HR thought we had done well with AtW supplementing two thirds of the cost! Am very grateful for supportive management!
    Regards, Josie :)

As the school employs and supports a disabled member of staff it will all go down in any HR/gov inspection as diversity. So, a win-win situation for you both.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Well done! I expect the school are glad to keep a teacher they know rather than go down the road of recruting someone who would be an unkown. Also the cost of recuiting new staff is huge, so your equipment is the best bet. It'll good for your health as well. Good luck. Love Sue
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    Today I've had my workplace assessment through Access to Work, and as I know there are some other teachers on here, I thought I'd share it. It took over 2 hours, very pleasant lady, looked at all my working areas, which as I work over several different classrooms, took a while. She has recommended an adjustable height desk with chair, a chair for classroom use, a different mouse and keyboard and grips for pens (which I already have). Her report goes back to AtW who decide how much, if anything, they will fund. It then goes to my employer to see if they are willing to contribute anything (as are all recommendations there is no obligation). Need to speak to head though, as would feel awful if school had to make a large outlay-wouldn't mind if it was the LEA, but am not employed by them. It doesn't seem fair that the school has to lay out financially when they don't get any extra money for me being there in the first place and budgets are so tight. :?

Hi Josec

On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin