Sick Pay

jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
Its many years (about ten) since I last went off work 'sick' and claimed 'sick pay'. Then I think after you'd been off for about 4 days you had to get a note from your doctor.

Can anyone tell me what you have to do these days? I work part time but do pay my NI Contributions.

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya,
    In Scotland (and in NHS-where I work)- If you're off sick for more than 3 days, you can 'self-certificate' - up to 7 calender days. After that, you need a line from your GP. Hope this helps and you're feeling better soon :wink:
    Magenta x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    HI,

Yes, its the same here in England, after the firs 3days you self certificate yourself for up to 7 days, then you need a doctors certificate. Money wise, you're entitled to statutory sick pay, some employers (mine) give you full pay for a certian length of time, but this is a matter of your employment contract.

Hope this helps a bit. Love Sue
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Thanks for replies :)

My employer does not pay SSP, and I work part-time, average 10 hours per week. Have been paying NI contributions.
    I don't want to take time off work unless absolutely necessary (I love my job) but it does involve some manual work which is getting a bit difficult :(

I am just concerned as to whether I will be able to get 'sick pay' from my NI contributions. They have bought a new thing in now havent they, and the only info I can find relates to this and about getting people back to work

Me confused? You bet I am :?
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Thanks for replies :)

My employer does not pay SSP, and I work part-time, average 10 hours per week. Have been paying NI contributions.
    I don't want to take time off work unless absolutely necessary (I love my job) but it does involve some manual work which is getting a bit difficult :(

I am just concerned as to whether I will be able to get 'sick pay' from my NI contributions. They have bought a new thing in now havent they, and the only info I can find relates to this and about getting people back to work

Me confused? You bet I am :?

Hiya,
    I'm confused too :? I've only ever worked for employers that pay SSP. Have you tried the Help-line team? They may be able to help?
    Magenta x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    u can ring the job centre & they will tell u how to claim it.if employer doesnt pay it they can advice u.but u can get it though job centre.
    google job centre or dwp for information on benefits.
    hope thats a help.