osteoblastic???

gettinby
gettinby Member Posts: 29
Hello,
As you may know I live in Spain and they do things a bit different here.
I have just had results back from my rhumy (after 6 months) and on the paper I have it says increased levels of osteoblastic, it's origin being inflammatory and degenerative.
Having googled it I am non the wiser. All I find is that it is something that makes bone grow, not that it is an illness or treatable.
Rhumys here only diagnose and do not do any follow up work, all questions I asked they just tell me to see my GP.
Now here's the rub, my GP is an alcoholic, he's disliked by everyone in my village and is totally disinterested in anyones health.
When I took my scans and x-rays to him he said he wasn't interested and when I ask for medication and body aids he refuses.
I would really like to know what my condition means and how to treat it (crazy I know), so any help and advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello
    This question is a bit medical for us. I've looked through our textbooks and come up with much the same as you found 'an osteoblast is a cell capable of forming bone'. It doesn't appear to be 'an illness' in itself but I don't know how significant an increased level is.
    Usually I would say 'ask your GP' but yours does seem to be unhelpful. Is there any other doctor whose advice you can ask?
    Best wishes
    Val
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Just an idea but, I have oa or as some medics like to call it degenartive wear and tear. My x-ray showed that I had bone growth on the vertibria, explained to me as the body trying to repair itself by making the bone thicker, but this causes ostophates and pain.... I don't know if this is any help. I really think it needs a doctor to explain properly. Sue
  • gettinby
    Thanks for your replies,
    I have been googling like billyo. I get the same result as yourselves.
    I get it that if you have a degenerative bone disease your body is going to have increased levels of blastic trying to repair them.
    This would imply that I have bone growing in places I'd rather it didn't, which makes sense but it hardly seems a definitive DX.
    I am still googling to find if there are any alternatives to my local GP, no luck so far.
    Many thanks
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Another option to get more medical information about your condition might be to consult a physiotherapist.

all the best
    Guy
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Often we have these spurs but do not realise as they are not causing us jip. It is when they grow and they get in the way and cause limited movement and pain that we begin to know all about it.

An arthroscopy of the knee for example gets rid of the spurs and all the loose bits and bobs floating around.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • gettinby
    elnafinn,
    That's very interesting about spurs as I have had a notion it's a very likely cause of many of my woes.
    My neck, upper spine and shoulders are so much worse and I feel that something is causing the pressure which cuts the feeling to both hands and arms.
    Interesting about getting them flushed and treated, does that apply to delicate places like the spine?
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi gettinby

Google 'arthrocopy of spine' and all will be revealed. It is performed with good results, so I read and is minimally invasive. Perhaps this type of surgery would be of benefit to you.

Elna :)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.