Replacement Knee Joints

barrydavies
barrydavies Member Posts: 2
I suffer from very painful osteoarthritis. I have had a consultation with a consultant who advises me that both of my knees need to be replaced but my BMI is too high and I need to lose 8 kilos before he will place me on his operating list. Although I have tried dieting I am unable to exercise due to painful knees. Is the consultant right to refuse me an operation ?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Your consultant has to take into account all aspects of your general health. He may refuse to operate if he considers it too dangerous to anaesthetise you because of your weight or if he considers your weight would seriously affect your post operative recovery and ultimately the success of the operation.
    It can be difficult to lose weight when your mobility is restricted and it sounds as if you need help from some professionals. Ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist who will design an exercise programme and a dietician who will design an eating plan that you can follow successfully.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • gettinby
    gettinby Member Posts: 29
    Hi,
    I'm not on helpteam but saw this and thought I'd put in my two penneth.
    I have neede knee replacements for some years but have been told I'm still to young (51).
    Not sure if that is a contributing factor for you.
    All the best.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi gettinby
    It annoys me when doctors tell people they have to wait for their new joint because they are too young, because this is not the full story in many cases. We all know that your 1st replacement joint is the most hardwearing and longlasting, and that if you are young there is a higher chance of you needing revision surgery in the future. But I am 40, and have just had my 1st THR, and whilst I was in Wrightington Hospital, there was a lady who was 41 and had her 1st TKR! I think that doctors should tell patients all the reasons why they feel a new joint is not advised at that stage and stop just saying you`re too young! When you are young , you want to be able to enjoy life, just as much as those who are older and recieve new joints. So why leave someone in pain?
    Sorry to go off on one but I felt I had to respond!
    And I hope you don`t have to wait too much longer for your TKR
    NB
  • gettinby
    Nearlybionic,
    You are going off a bit. If Doctors annoy you for saying this that's hardly my fault.
    No one seems to know how long replacements will last and as such how many you can have in the future.
    As I said in my post, I was merely pointing out that this "maybe" a contributing factor to the poster.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    gettinby wrote:
    Nearlybionic,
    You are going off a bit. If Doctors annoy you for saying this that's hardly my fault.
    No one seems to know how long replacements will last and as such how many you can have in the future.
    As I said in my post, I was merely pointing out that this "maybe" a contributing factor to the poster.

Hi Gettinby
    I wasn`t sounding off at you, and am sorry if you thought i was. I was just saying its a pity that people who are young enough to still enjoy life should be given that opportunity when it comes to replacement joints. It wasn`t a personal comment , honest.
    NB
  • gettinby
    NB,
    No offence taken. I do agree with you, however as usual we are beholding, to an extent, to GPs.
    As usual the prognosis is unclear and as such the decision is a personal one.
    All the best.