psoriatic arthritis

lyns81
lyns81 Member Posts: 9
Hi ,
I have just been diagnosed with PA, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what way this affects you as I have been of work alot with the pain. I am on two very strong pain killers and have to get steriod injections every three months, I have been in work but my boss won't let me cut down my hours I work 40 hours a week and I try my best but the pain is really severe and affects my ability to work, my Doctor has put me on the sick again as he says I can't work while in this condition but my boss has said that he is not going to go through another year with me like this, I just dont know what to do as I enjoy the crack at work but my pain is just to much to cope with!
sorry about moaning!
please help! :cry:

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I don`t have PA but have been off work for a while due to OA, surgery, pain etc.. With regards to work, if your GP has signed you off your employer should acknowledge that your illness is legitimate and be more understanding. Are you in a union? If so have you taken advice re work , especially if your employer is being less than understanding/helpful.
    I hope that you start to feel better soon, and that your work situation does not add to your stress levels!
    NB
  • yayyar
    yayyar Member Posts: 21
    i have pa and my employer have been great with me i just threatened them with the DDA (disabled discrimination act) you need to speak with your employers occu health department by law they have to try and accomodate you BUT they only have to try if working less hours would help let them know this..you dont say what job you do and also dont put what meds down that your on i take MTX 20mg and dihydrocodeine and tramadol and it seems to be working fine for me ive had 5 days off in 18mths but work have provided me with a chair and new mouse and keyboard ..i was assesed by the access to work team and the government gave my empoyer a grant towards the equipment i needed see the occu health people dont let them treat yer like they have or look up the DDA on direct.gov website

good luck
    Andrew
  • lyns81
    yayyar wrote:
    i have pa and my employer have been great with me i just threatened them with the DDA (disabled discrimination act) you need to speak with your employers occu health department by law they have to try and accomodate you BUT they only have to try if working less hours would help let them know this..you dont say what job you do and also dont put what meds down that your on i take MTX 20mg and dihydrocodeine and tramadol and it seems to be working fine for me ive had 5 days off in 18mths but work have provided me with a chair and new mouse and keyboard ..i was assesed by the access to work team and the government gave my empoyer a grant towards the equipment i needed see the occu health people dont let them treat yer like they have or look up the DDA on direct.gov website

good luck
    Andrew
    Hi there I'm on co-codamol 30/500 and lodine 600mg but they make me so tired, I was on tramadol at one time aswell but they didn't agree with me, the Doctor has metioned about putting me on mtx but they say that they want to hold off putting me on this because it is very toxic and would only consider it as a last option.
    The job that I do is working in a chemist were I have to put orders away all day and I'm always having to lift boxes, the way the boss sees it is that i'm only 27 and should be able to the job.
    thanks for replying back.
    Lyns.[/quote]
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hello Lyns Dry your eyes now girl, I have PA and Ra i know just how paiful it can be. I'm not up on the legislation but you should go and talk to the CAB they will give you all the info you need. If you need to take any action they will guid you through it. But you should take advice on this your employer may be able to take on a job share to do part of your hours its quite a common thing these days. please go and talk to the CAB. Take Care and keep your chin up
    Colin
  • yorkie
    yorkie Member Posts: 57
    lyns81 wrote:
    Hi ,
    I have just been diagnosed with PA, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what way this affects you as I have been of work alot with the pain. I am on two very strong pain killers and have to get steriod injections every three months, I have been in work but my boss won't let me cut down my hours I work 40 hours a week and I try my best but the pain is really severe and affects my ability to work, my Doctor has put me on the sick again as he says I can't work while in this condition but my boss has said that he is not going to go through another year with me like this, I just dont know what to do as I enjoy the crack at work but my pain is just to much to cope with!
    sorry about moaning!

HELLO LYN
    YOU DONT SAY HOW LONG YOU`VE HAD PSORACTIC ARTHRITIS, BUT I`VE HAD IT OVER 14 YEARS NOW AND ITS THE TYPE OF ARTHRITIS THAT HAS FLARE UPS THEN SIMMERS DOWN FOR A FEW MONTHS AND LIFE GETS BETTER THEN IT HITS YOU AGAIN. THE REMISSONS DO GIVE YOU TIME TO PICK YOURSELF UP AGAIN READY TO COPE FOR THE NEXT FLARE. THATS HOW IT IS FOR ME.
    MY FIRST ONSET WITH PA JUST AFTER I HAD MY SON LASTED A GOOD 18 MONTHS. I HAVE HAD UP TO TWO YEARS OF PAIN FREE TIME. BUT THIS LAST FOUR YEARS IT HAS STUCK WITH ME LONGER EVEN IF ITS JUST RUMBLING ALONG. I AM NOW ON METHOTREXATE, BUT FROM DAY ONE I JUST TOOK DICLOFENAC AND PAIN KILLERS. (DICLOFENAC IS A ANTINFLAMMITORY , HAS YOUR DOC NOT GIVE YOU THIS TO TRY?) I`VE WORKED ALL ALONG,BUT ONLY PART TIME.
    YOU MAY FIND YOURS MIGHT CALM DOWN EVENTUALLY FOR AWHILE. TO FIGHT PA YOU NEED TO REDUCE YOR STRESS LEVEL AS THIS ONLY FUELS THE DISEASE. I THINK YOU ARE WORKING TOO LONG A HOURS. WORKING LESS HOURS WILL GIVE YOU MORE QUALITIY TIME TO REST YOUR JOINTS ON CERTAIN DAYS OR EVEN HAIF ADAY. I WORK FIVE DAYS BUT FEWER HOURS AND ITS BETTER THAT WAY. YOU MAY THINK LIFE WONT BE THE SAME, BUT I AM SURE IT WILL SETTLE EVEN IF ONLY FOR AWHILE. HOPE YOU GO ON OK. YORKIE :lol:
  • lyns81
    yorkie wrote:
    lyns81 wrote:
    Hi ,
    sorry about moaning!

HELLO LYN
    YOU DONT SAY HOW LONG YOU`VE HAD PSORACTIC ARTHRITIS, BUT I`VE HAD IT OVER 14 YEARS NOW AND ITS THE TYPE OF ARTHRITIS THAT HAS FLARE UPS THEN SIMMERS DOWN FOR A FEW MONTHS AND LIFE GETS BETTER THEN IT HITS YOU AGAIN. THE REMISSONS DO GIVE YOU TIME TO PICK YOURSELF UP AGAIN READY TO COPE FOR THE NEXT FLARE. THATS HOW IT IS FOR ME.
    MY FIRST ONSET WITH PA JUST AFTER I HAD MY SON LASTED A GOOD 18 MONTHS. I HAVE HAD UP TO TWO YEARS OF PAIN FREE TIME. BUT THIS LAST FOUR YEARS IT HAS STUCK WITH ME LONGER EVEN IF ITS JUST RUMBLING ALONG. I AM NOW ON METHOTREXATE, BUT FROM DAY ONE I JUST TOOK DICLOFENAC AND PAIN KILLERS. (DICLOFENAC IS A ANTINFLAMMITORY , HAS YOUR DOC NOT GIVE YOU THIS TO TRY?) I`VE WORKED ALL ALONG,BUT ONLY PART TIME.
    YOU MAY FIND YOURS MIGHT CALM DOWN EVENTUALLY FOR AWHILE. TO FIGHT PA YOU NEED TO REDUCE YOR STRESS LEVEL AS THIS ONLY FUELS THE DISEASE. I THINK YOU ARE WORKING TOO LONG A HOURS. WORKING LESS HOURS WILL GIVE YOU MORE QUALITIY TIME TO REST YOUR JOINTS ON CERTAIN DAYS OR EVEN HAIF ADAY. I WORK FIVE DAYS BUT FEWER HOURS AND ITS BETTER THAT WAY. YOU MAY THINK LIFE WONT BE THE SAME, BUT I AM SURE IT WILL SETTLE EVEN IF ONLY FOR AWHILE. HOPE YOU GO ON OK. YORKIE :lol:
    Hi thanks for replying, my Doctor did try me on diclofenac but it dosen't agree with me as I have colitis of the bowel aswell, but the lodine that i'm on is ok on my stomach so far, I have been in pain since July of last year it started in my shoulder then went into my elbow and now its starting in my back, it was only confirmed by the rheumatoligist last friday cause it took that long to get an appointment to see him at the Hospital, during this time I was seeing my Gp.
    thanks again.
    Lyns :)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Lyns

On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.

Colin
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Hi Lyns, I'm sorry that you have a boss who doesn't understand what it is like to have PA. It doesn't matter how old you are. I'm lucky my bosses are very understanding and have made several adapt ions which has made my life easier. When I was diagnosed, I arranged a meeting with my boss and gave him a copy of info sheet on PA from Arthritis Care which explained how PA affects you and the Employers Guide explains the employers responsibilities in helping you at work. I have reduced my hours and start an hour later so I can activate my creaking body. I wish you all the best in getting a job and hours which suit you, not a brick wall employer. As other posters have said you have rights!