Constant pain

sarahchall
sarahchall Member Posts: 39
I have osteo-arthritis in my lower back and for about 6 years have had a lot of pain around the top of my left thigh, knee and sometimes lower leg. But I have always been able to walk reasonably well. But for the past week I have had really bad constant pain in the buttock, thigh and knee and have been unable to walk more than a few yards until really bad pain sets in. I am 66 years old and I'm getting more and more "down" - as in REALLY depressed now. Pain killers - tramodol, dihydrocodeine, ibroprufin don't work. They just "space me out" most of the next day if I take them at bedtime and that's a horrible feeling as the pain's still there but not touched by the strong painkillersand I don't feel with it at all. I honestly don't want to carry on living like this. If there was some pain relief it wouldn't be so bad but nothing works. I'm a young-in-outlook 66 and have always enjoyed a bit of retail therapy but now I can't get further than a few yards. This constant pain when walking has really happened quite suddenly - my GP has referred me to the pain management clinic at the hospital and my appointment's in May. I have had chronic pain in this thigh/hip region for years but I could "get about" reasonably well - certainly no pain in the first couple of minutes of walking like now. Could some nerves be trapped? Maybe I need an MRI but my doctor can't arrange this as it has to come from pain management at the hospital which isn't until May. Is this level of pain normal and does anyone else have no relief with pain killers? Thank you for reading all this. Any reply would be most welcome as I am really scared.

Comments

• alicea
    alicea Member Posts: 111
    edited 16. Mar 2009, 19:12
    sarahchall wrote:
    I have osteo-arthritis in my lower back and for about 6 years have had a lot of pain around the top of my left thigh, knee and sometimes lower leg. But I have always been able to walk reasonably well. But for the past week I have had really bad constant pain in the buttock, thigh and knee and have been unable to walk more than a few yards until really bad pain sets in. I am 66 years old and I'm getting more and more "down" - as in REALLY depressed now. Pain killers - tramodol, dihydrocodeine, ibroprufin don't work. They just "space me out" most of the next day if I take them at bedtime and that's a horrible feeling as the pain's still there but not touched by the strong painkillersand I don't feel with it at all. I honestly don't want to carry on living like this. If there was some pain relief it wouldn't be so bad but nothing works. I'm a young-in-outlook 66 and have always enjoyed a bit of retail therapy but now I can't get further than a few yards. This constant pain when walking has really happened quite suddenly - my GP has referred me to the pain management clinic at the hospital and my appointment's in May. I have had chronic pain in this thigh/hip region for years but I could "get about" reasonably well - certainly no pain in the first couple of minutes of walking like now. Could some nerves be trapped? Maybe I need an MRI but my doctor can't arrange this as it has to come from pain management at the hospital which isn't until May. Is this level of pain normal and does anyone else have no relief with pain killers? Thank you for reading all this. Any reply would be most welcome as I am really scared.
  • sarahchall
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    alicea wrote:
    sarahchall wrote:

Hi Reading your post is so much like Iwas ,my heart goes out to you, I had to reply. I was just the same and did'nt want to carry on in such pain, the last 12 months before i had the THR was hell no relief day or night. the pain killers did'nt do a thing only made me sleep all day and at night i was in so much pain i slept on the sofa so that i at least could watch the tv.
    Anyway i had a replacement hip and my life changed from that day, the terrible pain went ,K it took a while to get over it but at least the pain in my hip went.
    Have you had a x-ray to see how bad it is ? I would insist that they sort it out, tell them how terrible it is and that you can't stand the pain anymore. The troulbe is there is a lot of difference in pain and they don't know how you feel, there's only you can tell them. Go back to you doctor tell him just what it is doing to you and insist you see the orthapedic doctor now. Once i saw him he examined me and said we will have you in for a THR and get rid of that pain,I had had a xray 10months earlier so they knew i needed it replaced they seem to mess you about a long time before you see the surgeon.
    . Anyway hope you manage to get someone to help i know you think you are alone but your not, keep your chin up and sort them out . ......... If you want to talk about anything you can send me a message and i will answer what i can and lots of people on the site are really nice and have lots of advise ......alicea
    Thank you and so glad you are now feeling so much better. Unfortunately - or fortunately! - xrays of my hip were ok in as much only slight degeneration showed up. The problem is I believe coming from my lumbar vertebrae which were quite bad 12 years ago but I was always able to walk. Now - very recently - I cannot walk very far at all until the pain starts all around my thigh, knee and lower leg. It's so painful and going up slopes is excruciating. I feel 86 not 66!! It wouldn't be so bad if the painkillers dulled the pain but they don't. That's the scary part....Anyway, hope the pain management clinic in May can help me...
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I presume it is not sciatica that you are suffering from? This comes from the damage in the lower back. I have been suffering from that for 4 months now. Terrible pain in the buttock, down the leg, with pins and needles, cramp like pain and feeling of inflammation.

I have been attending physio and at long last, after 6 sessions, I hardly dare to say it, but I have had 3 days with no pain, just occasionally pins and needles in my foot.

Do you think physio would help you? You must not suffer in silence. You must return to your gp and tell him how bad it is and say you cannot wait weeks to see someone.

Best of luck
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Sarah

I'm not surprised this level of pain is getting you down and it can be very frightening as you say because you do not know what is going on as it came about suddenly. Just remember anxiety and stress on the body can heighten all feelings including pain and depression. Bearing this in mind you might find that concentrating on decreasing your anxiety by doing some relaxation exercises may help with the pain.

As you mentioned it may well be nerve related or possibly even your posture as a result of the pain. As Elna says physio may help or taking up the Alexander technique can also help with posture and strength.

In the meantime it may be worth discussing pain relief again with your doctor, for example, acupuncture.

You mentioned you like retail therapy, have you considered using the shopmobility scheme whilst you are in so much pain whilst walking. This would be a good way of getting you out and about and cheer you up a bit. For more info on the scheme http://www.shopmobilityuk.org/

It may help to talk, so if you are up to it please feel free to give us a call on the number at the top of this page. If you would like an information pack please private message with your full name and postal address

Best wishes

Simona
  • sarahchall
    Hi Sarah

I'm not surprised this level of pain is getting you down and it can be very frightening as you say because you do not know what is going on as it came about suddenly. Just remember anxiety and stress on the body can heighten all feelings including pain and depression. Bearing this in mind you might find that concentrating on decreasing your anxiety by doing some relaxation exercises may help with the pain.

As you mentioned it may well be nerve related or possibly even your posture as a result of the pain. As Elna says physio may help or taking up the Alexander technique can also help with posture and strength. Thank you so much - I will definately give you a ring. It's good to talk!

In the meantime it may be worth discussing pain relief again with your doctor, for example, acupuncture.

You mentioned you like retail therapy, have you considered using the shopmobility scheme whilst you are in so much pain whilst walking. This would be a good way of getting you out and about and cheer you up a bit. For more info on the scheme http://www.shopmobilityuk.org/

It may help to talk, so if you are up to it please feel free to give us a call on the number at the top of this page. If you would like an information pack please private message with your full name and postal address

Best wishes

Simona