Ibuprofen,paracetamol, how much?

gettinby
gettinby Member Posts: 29
Hi again,
I'm on a mission as you can tell.
Having no joy at my long awaited rhumy appointment, especially re medication I'm having to go through this myself,sigh.
I take Ibuprofen 600mg 3 times a day (every 8 hrs) is it OK to take paracetamol also and if so, how much.
Whilst the IB works sometimes, there are times when it doesn't.
I also take Glucosamine sulphate 1x1500mg a day.
It really is the pain relief that I am desperate to sort out.
Many thanks

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi,sorry ur having so much trouble with 1 thing & the other.
    its quite safe to take ibuprofen with paracetamol 2 every 4 hrs dont excede more than 8 in 24hrs.
    i take cocodomol 2 every 4hrs. so 8 a day.
    hope that helps. debsx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Gettinby,

The NHS NICE guidance on OA emphasises the importance of weight loss and physiotherapy as part of self-management. Local muscle strengthening is proven to reduce pain.

On the medication front paracetamol is recommended and rub on anti inflammatories (esp for knee and hand) because they are safer long-term. But dosages are not published and the principle is that will depend on someone's medical history - so best talk to GP or pharmacist. If anti-inflammatory tablets are prescribed they are generally recommended for the lowest possible dose and shortest possible time, as long-term use is associated with a number of potential risks which would need monitoring by the medical team (they include stomach, blood pressure, cardiovascular, and kidney). With anti inflammatories prescribing a proton pump inhibitor (ppi) drug is recommended to protect the stomach.

I realise you are having difficulty in Spain getting help with your self-management, but we cannot give you individual advice on dosages or medication, that would not be appropriate to the forum. We have signposted you to physiotherapy, have you been able to follow that up? Because that would be a source of individual self-management advice that the forum cannot provide.

I hope that helps
    Guy
  • sarahchall
    sarahchall Member Posts: 39
    gettinby wrote:
    Hi again,
    I'm on a mission as you can tell.
    Having no joy at my long awaited rhumy appointment, especially re medication I'm having to go through this myself,sigh.
    I take Ibuprofen 600mg 3 times a day (every 8 hrs) is it OK to take paracetamol also and if so, how much.
    Whilst the IB works sometimes, there are times when it doesn't.
    I also take Glucosamine sulphate 1x1500mg a day.
    It really is the pain relief that I am desperate to sort out.
    Many thanks
    Yes I feel for you as I too am getting no pain relief and my meds are tramodol and dihydrocodeine. Strong stuff but they only "space me out" which is a horrible feeling. Amazingly they don't touch my pain. I hope you find some pain relief soon. Love, Sarah.
  • gettinby
    gettinby Member Posts: 29
    Hi HT,
    Sorry for late reply, been offline till today.
    I totally understand your comments.
    I'm at present looking for an english speaking professional to help me out on this.
    I will have to pay and being on a very low income am restricted to what I can afford but I MUST get this sorted sooner than later.
    Many,many thanks for your time and help.

Sarah,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I hope we both find answers.
    All the best to you.