WORK PROBLEM

lyns81
lyns81 Member Posts: 9
HI EVERYONE, I SAW THE DOCTOR THIS MORNING AND HE HAS PUT ME ON ANOTHER TABLET CALLED AMITRIPTALINE, CAUSE HE SAID THAT THE MUSCLES SURROUNDING MY PAINFUL JOINTS HAVE GONE INTO SPASAM, HE AGAIN HAS PUT ME OFF WORK AND HAS ADVISED ME TO SPEAK TO MY BOSS, AND CUT DOWN MY WORKING HOURS AS THIS IS ADDING TO MY PROBLEM. :cry:
SO I WENT AND SPOKE TO MY BOSS AND HE SAYS THAT HE NEEDS FULLTIME WORKERS AND UNLESS I'M ABLE TO WORK FULLTIME ITS UNLIKELY THAT I WILL HAVE A JOB, HIS WORDS WHERE YOU KNOW LYNSEY YOU WILL BE A HEALTH AND SAFTEY ISSUE TO US AND WE CAN'T RISK IT, AND HE SAYS I WILL GIVE YOU ONE MORE MONTH AND HE LEFT IT AT THAT. :cry:
I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I KNOW I CAN'T WORK THE HOURS HES ASKING, I HAVE BEEN ON JOB SITES LOOKING FOR WORK BUT NO JOY, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE WORK FROM HOME AND WHAT WAY DO YOU GO ABOUT FINDING JOBS LIKE THIS.

THANX
LYNS. :(

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi dont know what your job is but they can not just try and dismiss you because you are ill there are rules that have to be followed , you might be able to get the advise you need on here or go to the CAB they are very good xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    I don't think they can do that so I think you should speak to CAB or a solicitor you can usually get an hour consultation surgery.
    Mandy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello As the others say, I don't think its legal to do that. You need advice try CAB, as someone suggested.

Have you thoguht about asking for a job-share? Try and get some help. Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,283
    Hi Lyn
    This is terrible. I do hope you have taken some advice?
    Some bosses think they can do what they like! :shock:
    Good luck
    Toni x
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Hi
    Sorry you are having a rotten time. Your boss is being unreasonable, it might be worth your while to get an appointment with the disability advisor at the job centre. The one I saw was really helpful. Good luck
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Go to the CAB and ask for advice or go to the unemployment center they have a department that deals with this
    Colin
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • grahamb
    grahamb Member Posts: 6
    lyns81 wrote:
    HI EVERYONE, I SAW THE DOCTOR THIS MORNING AND HE HAS PUT ME ON ANOTHER TABLET CALLED AMITRIPTALINE, CAUSE HE SAID THAT THE MUSCLES SURROUNDING MY PAINFUL JOINTS HAVE GONE INTO SPASAM, HE AGAIN HAS PUT ME OFF WORK AND HAS ADVISED ME TO SPEAK TO MY BOSS, AND CUT DOWN MY WORKING HOURS AS THIS IS ADDING TO MY PROBLEM. :cry:
    SO I WENT AND SPOKE TO MY BOSS AND HE SAYS THAT HE NEEDS FULLTIME WORKERS AND UNLESS I'M ABLE TO WORK FULLTIME ITS UNLIKELY THAT I WILL HAVE A JOB, HIS WORDS WHERE YOU KNOW LYNSEY YOU WILL BE A HEALTH AND SAFTEY ISSUE TO US AND WE CAN'T RISK IT, AND HE SAYS I WILL GIVE YOU ONE MORE MONTH AND HE LEFT IT AT THAT. :cry:
    I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I KNOW I CAN'T WORK THE HOURS HES ASKING, I HAVE BEEN ON JOB SITES LOOKING FOR WORK BUT NO JOY, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE WORK FROM HOME AND WHAT WAY DO YOU GO ABOUT FINDING JOBS LIKE THIS.

THANX

I think you need to have a chat with the DDA, they can be a very good place to start. I do know they will go into your work place and have a word with them. There are laws in place to help protect people as your self.

Graham
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    lyns81 wrote:

THANX

Hi Lyns,

This is probably what we all dread happening to us isn't it?

Question, did you have arthritis when you started work for this company and did you declare it on their health questionnaire (if they did them). I don't know how big your company is but do you have a Occupational Health Officer?

HR will always work for the benefit of the company (soz to any HR officers out there) so be careful with your discussions with them.

If it is a small business you may find it harder to get a resolution to your satisfaction. The idea of job share is a good one.

Why would you doing reduced hours be a Health and Safety risk - were you planning on sleeping on the office floor :lol: ?

I agree, go to CAB first for advice. I don't know what part of the country you are in but many University Law schools do pro bono clinics - also worth a try.

Good luck - keep us posted.

lorraine x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Your Manager's full of it. Ask for that in writing just to see their face. He/She is already in trouble as they haven't even had you assessed to see if you require the changes and if the work can reasonably be expected to put them in place. Under DDA guidelines they must at least attempt to do this. Only could they say no if it would be of detriment to the Employer, but they have to prove if needed at a tribunal that they did this. Trust me, if a Tribunal heard what you have just written your employer would be in for it big style. Get advice from someone who deals with employment rights, are you in a Union? They would sort it. If not approach it gently again and advise them under DDA your covered, good luck
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi
    That just doesn't sound right, however, I know how you are feeling. I left my job last year. I was just too tired and in pain to seek further help. I wasn't thinking logically. At the time I was only on diclofenac and not sleeping at all during the night. I'm now on 8 co-dydramol a day as well as amytriptaline at night.
    I should have gone through my Union. I have no regrets in leaving as it was a real struggle just getting up in the morning and my job involved a lot of bending/lifting and my office was up 2 flights of stairs.

If I had gone to Shaw Trust they would have helped by speaking to my employer. I learnt later that they would even provide transport to and from work. I found distance driving (just 12 miles) difficult.
    I also tried applying for part-time jobs prior to leaving my full-time one, but even though I had the experience/skills I never got any of the positions. I put it down to having to declare my arthritis as a disability. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise as now I have problems getting mobile in the morning. I need at least 2 hours for my joints to warm through and my medication to work.

Now I can just about cope with the housework. I did the right thing for me. Sometimes i miss work but know that I physically couldn't do it anymore.

I am now on incapacity benefit. You can apply online for this and maybe if you contact them direct they may be able to help. I have now been signed off work by my GP for another year as well as an independant medical assessor. I lost a very good wage but the I.B. helps to make ends meet. My husband is in full time employment and we've reviewed our financial lives; changed our mortgage; got better deals on insurances: car, house, life etc - I was able to do this when I was at home. You just find ways of managing your income when you have too.

I hope you find something that fits in with your condition. It is not easy.
    Sharmaine
    lyns81 wrote:

THANX
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    lyns81 wrote:

THANX

Hi Lyns

I have a couple of ?'s have you worked for the company for longer than 2 years if you have they can't sack you just like that they have to go through a process. Also they have to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act if they don't they are in for the high jump. They have to make reasonable adjustments so that you can work. If that is reducing hours and giving you things to make you able to do your job. The first thing I would do is ask for everything in writing that they have said then you have to request to see their occy heath doc for an assessment as he can say that they have to comply with the DDA and that it apply to you. Also you have to put your request to them in writing keeping a copy for yourself. They can not pay you off at all. He can NOT put a time limit onto you at all as for Health and Safety that is a load of tosh he is using that to scare you I don't know if your boss has a boss, if he does you need to go above him and talk to them they should know all about the DDA if they don't they soon will believe me.

I hate people like this they are using scare tactics and you have to show them that it won't work please fight them if you fight them you will win the law is on your side. I think your boss is needing to learn a little bit about people skills.

Keep your chin up
    Michelle
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    lyns81 wrote:

THANX
    THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE....IT WAS LIKE READING MY OWN SITUATION, I WORK FOR A HIGHSTREET HARDWARE RETAILER (RO83R7 DY45 !!) AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH OA OF THE HIP LAST YEAR, HAD HIP RESURFACE 01/09 (NOT THR AS I AM ONLY 38 AND TOO YOUNG IN THEIR EYES) SIGNED OFF 8WKS CALLED INTO WORK WEEK BEFORE I WAS DUE BACK AS I HAD MADE UP MY MIND THAT I WANTED TO RETURN AS A PART TIMER, ASKED FOR 16-20 HRS PER WEEK, WAS TOLD NOT A PROBLEM AND TO COME IN IN A COUPLE OF DAYS TO FIND OUT MY WORK PATTERN, WHEN I WENT THERE I WAS THEN TOLD BY MY MANAGER THAT I WAS TO COME BACK 40 HOURS PER WEEK OR NOT AT ALL, BUT THAT THEY WOULD ALLOW ME TO PHASE BACK IN FOR FOUR WEEKS BUT THEN BY THE END OF THE 4TH WEEK I WAS TO BE UP TO 40 HRS. WELL I WENT BACK STARTING AT 16 HOURS, WHEN I GOT HOME AFTER THE 1ST MORNING THERE I COLLAPSED IN THE CHAIR AND THATS WHERE I STAYED UNTIL BEDTIME, SAME FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK, WENT BACK TO THE DR AND EXPLAINED THE SENARIO TO HIM AND HE TOLD ME I HAD GONE BACK TOO EARLY AFTER SUCH A MAJOR OP AND SIGNED ME OFF FOR ANOTH 2 WEEKS, I RANG UP MY MANAGER AND TOLD HER, HER RESONSE???..."OH FOR CHRISTS SAKE, MAKE SURE YOU HAND IN YOUR CERTIFICATE" THEN PUT THE PHONE DOWN ON ME.... MY ADVICE TO YOU LYNS...CALL ACAS 08457 474747, EXCELLENT ADVICE AND THE MAIN THING IS THEY ARE ON OUR SIDE, THEY TOLD ME I HAD A CASE FOR GRIEVANCE AND BULLYING, BUT LIKE ONE OTHER REPLY SAID...GET EVERYTHING DOWN IN WRITING...DAYS OF NICELY NICELY ARE PROBABLY OVER AND NOW DO EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK, NO "LETS HAVE A CHAT" YOU WRITE TO THEM AND LET THEM WRITE TO YOU....GOOD LUCK :D