Incapacity Benefit

sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
My GP has signed me off work until Dec 09. I currently claim Incapacity Benefit. I have to attend a work related interview tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect. There is absolutely no way that I could work in my condition. Even the drive to their offices is going to be difficult.

There seems to be a general lack of understanding of how arthritis affects our lives. They sent detailed instructions on how to catch the bus - there is no way I could sit on a bus for any length of time. I often rely on my hubby to take me but I'll have to drive as he's working. I won't be able to take some of my medication as it makes me drowsy and I don't want to be a risk on the roads.

I suppose I'm getting anxious about the unknown.
As I have OA in both knees I really hope I find a parking space nearby and don't have to climb too many steps.

This is my first interview.

Comments

• mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi sharmaine I had one of these Pathways to Work interviews today. I have to say that parking wasnt too bad as I knew the area but when I spoke to the office they suggested I use the bus. I said that there was no way I could sit on a bus for over an hour each way and then walk the 1/4 - 1/2 mile to their office as I have trouble walking around the supermarket once a week. Arthritis in back, knees & ankles.

The actual interview was okay just filled in loads of forms on-line, they looked at my CV (stupid because I was self employed until Nov and when I fell well enough I will be going back to it....hopefully)

Dont worry too much about it the actual interview was okay its just the travelling that I found hard. I know that it really took its toll on me today when I got home my back was really painful.

Good luck let us know how you get on
    Mandy
  • sharmaine
    Hi Mandy
    I'm pleased things went ok for you. I'm just not looking forward to it. OA has also spread to my fingers and right shoulder my back aches if I over do it (I often wonder if it has crept there yet). I can't see anybody employing me until my knees are replaced!f I had to give up my job last May because I couldn't cope with working a full day or the drive into work. Like you, I have had to give up the weekly supermarket shop and I just do a big one online once a month. If I need anything I nip into the village shop. I just can't face being in a queue because it is so painful.

Having OA is very disabling, isn't it? I can't bend anymore - I tell my hubby that he now has a robot for a wife! Thank God he understands.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    Hi sharmaine I had one of these Pathways to Work interviews today. I have to say that parking wasnt too bad as I knew the area but when I spoke to the office they suggested I use the bus. I said that there was no way I could sit on a bus for over an hour each way and then walk the 1/4 - 1/2 mile to their office as I have trouble walking around the supermarket once a week. Arthritis in back, knees & ankles.

The actual interview was okay just filled in loads of forms on-line, they looked at my CV (stupid because I was self employed until Nov and when I fell well enough I will be going back to it....hopefully)

Dont worry too much about it the actual interview was okay its just the travelling that I found hard. I know that it really took its toll on me today when I got home my back was really painful.

Mandy
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    sharmaine wrote:
    My GP has signed me off work until Dec 09. I currently claim Incapacity Benefit. I have to attend a work related interview tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect. There is absolutely no way that I could work in my condition. Even the drive to their offices is going to be difficult.

There seems to be a general lack of understanding of how arthritis affects our lives. They sent detailed instructions on how to catch the bus - there is no way I could sit on a bus for any length of time. I often rely on my hubby to take me but I'll have to drive as he's working. I won't be able to take some of my medication as it makes me drowsy and I don't want to be a risk on the roads.

As I have OA in both knees I really hope I find a parking space nearby and don't have to climb too many steps.

This is my first interview.[/quote

You can ask for the interview to take place at your home
    have you spoken to your union rep
    Colin
  • sharmaine
    Hi Colin
    Thanks. I'll ask for my next one to be at home.
    Sharmaine

colinone wrote:
    sharmaine wrote:

This is my first interview.[/quote

You can ask for the interview to take place at your home
    have you spoken to your union rep
    Colin
  • sharmaine
    Hi
    I went for my meeting and it wasn't too bad. She wanted to know about my condition and if I could show her the results of my medical assessment. This stated that I'm unfit for work and signed off until 19 December 2009. They've now got my CV. I've got another appointment on 27 April 2009. I've got an action plan and she thinks that I would be a suitable candidate for "Condition Management Programme" which helps to understand and manage my condition. Interesting! She did say that it's obvious I'm unfit for employment but we have to tick those boxes. Frankly, I can't see the point of any of it. If I'm signed off by my GP and the independant Medical Services you would think that was that until I'm reviewed again, but it isn't.
    Sharmaine
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi Mandy
    I'm pleased things went ok for you. I'm just not looking forward to it. OA has also spread to my fingers and right shoulder my back aches if I over do it (I often wonder if it has crept there yet). I can't see anybody employing me until my knees are replaced!f I had to give up my job last May because I couldn't cope with working a full day or the drive into work. Like you, I have had to give up the weekly supermarket shop and I just do a big one online once a month. If I need anything I nip into the village shop. I just can't face being in a queue because it is so painful.

Having OA is very disabling, isn't it? I can't bend anymore - I tell my hubby that he now has a robot for a wife! Thank God he understands.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mandy
  • mandy_b1967
    mandy_b1967 Bots Posts: 115
    Hi Sharmaine, at least its done for now but I don't see the point of another meeting in a month....I have one of those too. I also have to do homework up dating my CV even though if and when I go back to work I will be working for myself again. Bet I have to interview myself too. Funny but one of the forms I had to sign was to say that when I go back to work that I give my permission for them to write to my employer, I said that was fine I would sign the form myself!!?? My medical was cancelled last week... when I got to the venue but I have another one on the 8th so hoping it goes okay.
    Mandy
  • sharmaine
    Hi Mandy
    It does seem rather foolish to attend an employment meeting when you know you can't be employed. How hilarious - you interviewing yourself - what is the world coming too! Make sure you write yourself when you're ready to go back to work!
    I hope all goes well at your medical.
    Sharmaine
    Hi Sharmaine, at least its done for now but I don't see the point of another meeting in a month....I have one of those too. I also have to do homework up dating my CV even though if and when I go back to work I will be working for myself again. Bet I have to interview myself too. Funny but one of the forms I had to sign was to say that when I go back to work that I give my permission for them to write to my employer, I said that was fine I would sign the form myself!!?? My medical was cancelled last week... when I got to the venue but I have another one on the 8th so hoping it goes okay.
    Mandy