Any tips for getting less stiff at work?

roborovski
roborovski Member Posts: 2
Just seeing if anyone has got any tips for me?

I've got arthritis in my feet and knee's, so cant stand for too long - so I've got a sitting down job, but I've just recently noticed my hips are getting pretty stiff each day now when I come to get up after sitting for a while.

Its not a job I can just get up and go for a walk around, so just seeing if anyones got any tips to what can help me from getting stiff when sitting?

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HELLO!
    How about wriggling in your chair a bit, stretching your legs and shiffting your weight a bit. Can you just stand up every hour or so, go to the loo or something? Not much help am I? :? Have you talked to your boss or colleauges, and explain that you feel stiff and would like to move for a few minuetes? It don'snt seem much to ask, but I know sometimes its not easy, so I hope you can sort something out. Love Sue
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Robo
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you cant locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under are we going to break the record. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

Do you have a foot rest? You can get ones that move so provide a way of exercising a bit while sitting.

Are you seeing customers, is that why you have to stay sitting? I have a desk job but quite often stand to do some work to stretch.

Regulations state that if you work at a computer you should have a break of 10 minutes every hour. Obviously this doesn't mean stopping work but it does mean moving away from the screen and mobilising yourself to avoid RSI injuries.

Have you talked to your manager? I would think that they would prefer you to stand up and walk about for a few minutes every half hour or so than to go off sick.

It's worth an informal chat to see how the ground lies initially.

Good luck
    Lorraine x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi I get very stiff at work, my manager gives me an extra 10 minutes every hour on top of my normal comfort breaks to get up and move around as I sit in a chair at a desk. I have a very good chair which was made to measure so it's not oo bad. I know a couple with arthritis at work who go to the First Aid room to do excercises to stretch off. As Newark said, a footrest is great for stretching away on under your desk, plus with me it takes the strain off my spine. Defo talk to your Manager, under the DDA they need to make the reasonable adjustments required for you to do your job to the best of your ability. If they don't put these in place they are on shaky ground indeed.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hello Roborovski
    I have OA in my knees, hands, shoulder etc. I find sitting in one place very difficult and prop myself up with cushions at home. When sitting for long periods I try and get up and move around for a bit. However, sitting for long periods makes my hips ache too. Driving doesn't help either or standing in one position for long periods, or walking for long periods. Or Bending! I could go on. I had to give up my full time job because of my OA.

Have you told your GP this? I understand that an Occupational Therapist may also be able to help - maybe your Union or employer can help or even your GP?

I don't think employers really understand this condition unless they have it or studied it. Unfortunately when you're at work you are expected to do your job and not complain about your aches. Not everyone is sympathetic.

I hope you find an answer to your problem.
    Sharmaine

roborovski wrote:
    Just seeing if anyone has got any tips for me?

I've got arthritis in my feet and knee's, so cant stand for too long - so I've got a sitting down job, but I've just recently noticed my hips are getting pretty stiff each day now when I come to get up after sitting for a while.

Its not a job I can just get up and go for a walk around, so just seeing if anyones got any tips to what can help me from getting stiff when sitting?